Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Calgary Trapper's Course

ATA course being held in Calgary the week of Feb.25 to March 1, 2008. Contact via email: kwasnica@shaw.ca to get a registration package sent out. They still require a few more people to fill the course.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
sheephunter

Thanks SJ...might just go myself.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM

I'd be interested in knowing what he (trainer) uses for removing beaver skins , and what he (she?) uses while doing so.

Took the course back in the early 90s in Kimberly.

IMHO I think it is a good course for all hunters to take regardless of your inclination to trap or not.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Took this course again (first time was in early '80s) last fall (late Nov) -- EXCELLENT course and the manual is worth the price of the course alone. Is likely the most comprehensive manual of it's kind in NA. Great course -- very intense. Super instructors. Alberta has the highest trapping standards in the world ad it certainly is reflected in this course and the people who teach it.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Price increase

I just took this course a month ago it was great! Just a little FYI,that after March the cost of this course is going to double, if it is the same ATA course that I took.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what he (trainer) uses for removing beaver skins , and what he (she?) uses while doing so.

Took the course back in the early 90s in Kimberly.

IMHO I think it is a good course for all hunters to take regardless of your inclination to trap or not.
Agreed, and might just take it myself.

Reeves, what do you mean by wanting to know how they skin the beavers? I've heard of various methods on big game using tractors, forklifts and such, but not on a beaver. I've only every skinned mine out, semi-fleshed until nailed out and then did my final prep work from there. I'm interested to know if there is an easier way.

Stupid story, but.....

Once had a beaver so big that I had to put extensions on my 4x4 board (if I ever get a scanner I'll put up the pics). I bet I put 6 hours into that thing. I was so proud (14 years old at the time), then the fu%king dog ate half of it! That was a bad day for both of us, luckily he was quicker than I was..........

Tree
Old 12-19-2007, 01:36 PM

I am going to take the course... Just waiting for it to be offered closer to GP... I was told it may happen next year..!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:38 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
I just took this course a month ago it was great! Just a little FYI,that after March the cost of this course is going to double, if it is the same ATA course that I took.
how much do the course run now!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 PM

The course I took was 150. It was 5 evenings and 1 weekend day.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 PM

I wonder if there are any openings left if there is, I am in, tried the e-mail at top but no responce yet

Mountainman elkohalic
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
jptrapper

Default trapping course

I haven't gotten my registration packages for this course yet either. If we don't hear something soon it might be best to contact the Alberta Trapper's Association directly. As for enrolement, I don't think they have a maximum number but they sure do have a minimum requirement.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:10 PM

Check out the ATA web site for course info. There is a new course being offered at the Dave Unger trapping college in Debolt. A little pricey but includes instruction, lodging, and meals.

All you Calgary trappers need to get a local up and running in your city, it's a shame there isn't one right now.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
All you Calgary trappers need to get a local up and running in your city, it's a shame there isn't one right now.
How do we do this?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM

If you guys are serious about a local what you do is a run an ad in the paper letting trappers now you're holding a informational meeting. Someone from the ATA would be happy to attend the meeting and work with you guys to get a local up and running. If you're really interested get a hold of me and I'll help you.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Default still room

I talked with Kyle via e-mail last night and got in to the course. If anyone is still interested there may be more room yet. Sounds like an interesting course and a great opportunity.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 PM
jrs

I will have to see if i can get some time off to do this. A guy mentioned he wouldn't mind me tagging along with him a few times next winter, i would love to see how its done and what kind of work goes into it. Thanks for posting the info of the Calgary one, i will be checking to see what i can pull off.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 AM

Who's all signed up for this?