Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 08:24 AM

Straight backline, no saggy paunch, no loose brisket wattle, tight smooth hide = younger deer Id say no more than 4.5 years, the next 2 years his potential is going to be realized.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:07 PM

i would bet the farm he grosses over 160, not sure how much over tho.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:00 PM

No way hes below 160. 6x5. Good mass. OK spread. Good tine lengh. Just below 170. 4.5 to 5.5. In his prime.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:14 PM

Hes all of 150 but edging closer to 160. Pictures can go either way tho lots of pic make them look bigger than they really are and some pics just don't do them justice, best thing you can do is pick up his sheds here soon then kill him next fall.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:23 PM

^ I am not sure I will be able to find the sheds. I will try, but the chances are very low. The bush is pretty thick where he lives. And I still don't know where he feeds.

Does anyone want to play round 2 in the guessing game?

Funny thing is I waited for him in that very spot 24 hours earlier, almost to the minute
Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 PM

Solid 170s deer, IMO. At least high 160s, to be on a safe side.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that he is not going to get any bigger. I want to say he is going to get smaller next year, but that would be just a guess and I hope that he won’t.

At least you know you were standing at the right spot, in spite of being there at the wrong time. That’s a good thing. You also know he survived. Good luck next season. He is a tank!

Great photos and thank you for posting.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:57 PM

Mid 160 buck is my guess
Old 12-17-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Solid 170s deer, IMO. At least high 160s, to be on a safe side.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that he is not going to get any bigger. I want to say he is going to get smaller next year, but that would be just a guess and I hope that he won’t.

At least you know you were standing at the right spot, in spite of being there at the wrong time. That’s a good thing. You also know he survived. Good luck next season. He is a tank!

Great photos and thank you for posting.
I would disagree with you there , imo this is 5 1/2 year old deer +\- 1 year probably. A buck I follow has grown his biggest set of antlers at 10 years old . That’s my best guess on age anyways picked first set of shed at 150” in 2012 winter.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:58 AM

^ That’s why I am not a betting man I mentioned earlier in this thread I have no idea how old this buck is. I hope you are right. However, the buck you are talking about, and if he was in fact 10 years old, is probably more of an exception than the norm. That’s just my opinion from what I read and saw about deer and I can’t say I’ve seen enough Thoughts on the measurement?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
140 you say?

Now will someone please tell me how to find him? lol.
I have to comment again, this deer in my opinion is high 160's gross but most likely cracks the 170's!!! He will be bigger next year. I think he is just hitting his prime. Good luck and congrats on the buck you harvested this year, he is a beauty!!!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Mid 160 buck is my guess
Yup
Old 12-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
I have to comment again, this deer in my opinion is high 160's gross but most likely cracks the 170's!!! He will be bigger next year. I think he is just hitting his prime. Good luck and congrats on the buck you harvested this year, he is a beauty!!!
X2 Totally agree
Old 12-18-2017, 10:57 AM

high 160's for sure, likely more. 5.5 yrs likely but 4.5 possible. Excited to see pics of him next year. do you run your cams in growing season? is he around then?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:59 AM

my first thought was 160
Old 12-18-2017, 11:23 AM

163" gross is my educated guess.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 AM

Well I shot a buck that grossed 172" this year and that buck looks bigger than mine. He's got good tine length, good mass and width is better than average. I would bet 175, maybe even up to 178". The way the main beams curl around in front too will really add to the length measurement there on each side.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
high 160's for sure, likely more. 5.5 yrs likely but 4.5 possible. Excited to see pics of him next year. do you run your cams in growing season? is he around then?
This is the first time I had them there. One has been there since August and I brought the other one in November. I will most likely leave them there until next season. This deer first appeared on camera in early November, I believe. Not long after, all other bucks disappeared, along with most does. I know he is in the area year round, but not quite sure where yet. It is a big area and lots of bush for him to feel comfortable in. If there any pictures of him in the future, I will post them up here.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:40 AM

I'm gonna bet he is a small bodied deer giving the illusion of a larger rack. When you find his sheds he will gross 156 giving him a 17" spread. The newest pics show a more basket like rack. Good luck finding his sheds.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:54 AM

170”+
Old 12-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Default pig

any of the people guessing in the 140s on this deer needs turn their glasses around the right way.
this is at least a mid 160s gross buck probably a bit better and a mature wtail 4.5 plus.
he has potential to be easily a 180 deer if he makes it.

on another note, was this deer not shown getting killed by coyotes on someone's trail cam on AHA on facebook?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:23 PM

160-170
Old 12-20-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

This is the first time I had them there. One has been there since August and I brought the other one in November. I will most likely leave them there until next season. This deer first appeared on camera in early November, I believe. Not long after, all other bucks disappeared, along with most does. I know he is in the area year round, but not quite sure where yet. It is a big area and lots of bush for him to feel comfortable in. If there any pictures of him in the future, I will post them up here.
I think you need to make it a mission to find his sheds this winter for us to see....Anyone would have shot that deer this past hunting season.God willing he makes it to next fall!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
163" gross is my educated guess.
Interesting. Thank you. What is an educated guess, if you do not mind me asking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
I'm gonna bet he is a small bodied deer giving the illusion of a larger rack. When you find his sheds he will gross 156 giving him a 17" spread. The newest pics show a more basket like rack. Good luck finding his sheds.
Maybe you are not far off with the spread. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that what we think was his brother was shot last year almost on the exact spot where the first photo in this thread was taken. I actually have a photo of that buck and a photo of his mount, but, unfortunately, the guy who put him down does not want me to post those photographs. Their racks are almost identical except for the split that the brother has on his right side as well (same tine as the left side). The other buck had the beam spread of only 19"; tip to tip was only 7" or 8" (maybe?). These numbers are from over a month old memory, so I could be very mistaken. This one maybe way off, but I think his greatest spread was something like 23 or 24". His rack mass is definitely lacking compared to this buck though and his tines are shorter. I thought this guy's spread was larger as well, but maybe you are right, I don't know. That deer was officially measured to be an over 170" deer (gross).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock1 View Post
on another note, was this deer not shown getting killed by coyotes on someone's trail cam on AHA on facebook?
Do you, by any chance, have a link to the thread or maybe a picture from there? I am not a part of that group, so I am not sure what had been posted there. The last time this guy walked in front of my camera was on December 10, I believe. Rather, the last picture my camera took of this guy was on December 10; I have no idea how many it misses, but I am very happy with it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I think you need to make it a mission to find his sheds this winter for us to see....Anyone would have shot that deer this past hunting season.God willing he makes it to next fall!
I will definitely try, but chances are slim to none, IMO. The bush is pretty dense, tons squirrels and bunnies are present as well. I am planning to make a couple of trips there this winter. Fingers crossed

I greatly appreciate all the participation in this thread and those who keep it going. If I find a shed, I will post pic here for sure.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
^ I am not sure I will be able to find the sheds. I will try, but the chances are very low. The bush is pretty thick where he lives. And I still don't know where he feeds.

Funny thing is I waited for him in that very spot 24 hours earlier, almost to the minute
Gross 173" all day maybe a bit more. Net would be low 160's I say.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I'll volunteer to come help you look!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:58 PM

This deer was measured at 170.5 and 158 after deductions. The biggest deductions were the abnormal points (7.5), G4s were quite different in length (2.25), and lost some on the main beams (1.25); lost another 1.5 on everything else.

There are more photos in this thread. Unfortunately, I cannot find any of the field photos and I hope they did not go with my old phone

The buck to whom this thread is dedicated looks very (and I mean very) similar to what the mounted buck in the photo looked like, but bigger. It would be interesting to see the other buck the op is talking about. I feel like we might be hunting the same area, lol. The measurements mentioned a couple of posts above are spot on for the buck in the photo above, to the point that it is freaky.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:48 PM

Lol! The other buck looks almost identical to yours. G1s are definitely taller though. Tips are more "symmetrical" as well, being more on the same horizontal line. That one measured just a little higher as well (both gross and net).

If this one goes down next year, we should definitely compare the notes