Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPS117 View Post
Proper boots is such a vital part of a successful, enjoyable hunt. This year I finally found a pair of boots that fit me properly for sheep hunting and what a game changer. I’ve spent the big dollars on Kenetreks and the like only to trash my feet for numerous hikes out of pure stubbornness not accepting that they don’t fit. I followed the recommendation of buying a 1/2 size smaller (absolutely do not do this), and I tried different sock and tape combos. This year I went to a place in Calgary called Norseman and they measured my feet properly. The young lad there spent the better part of an hour helping me and talking boots. All this time I thought I had a super wide foot, not at all, I have a “square toe box”. Another thing he pointed out is to use the European sizing, its quite a bit more accurate and doesn’t always convert. I am a 45EU which can vary by brand between 11 1/2 & 12 1/2. After trying on 7-8 pairs, I walked out of there with a set of Mammut that felt like my foot was wrapped in marshmallow. I can’t even tell you what a difference this made in my health and wellness on the mountain. As mentioned here several times, the absolute best boot for you is the one that fits. Go get yourself measured by a pro and happy hunting
Went there this weekend and had the best boot buying experience I have had in an extremely long time. The lady that helped really knew about boots and what to look for in fit, and honestly answered any questions I had. Not the generic took a course from someone at the store and had no idea, or the person who wore one make of boots and figured it should work for everyone. It was obvious she had lots of hands on knowledge and really knew how different boots fitted, listened to my feedback and brought out boots that fixed what I didn't like. Also had a number of boots in size 7 when a lot of stores didn't even have one. Sure glad you mentioned them.