Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: When you encounter trash at/on the water, you...
leave it there, someone else will get it 6 6.32%
remove as much as I can at the time 84 88.42%
pick up the empties - friday night fund 5 5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 AM

What's interesting I found, is the variety of things you'll find on ice. My 2 best ones include a Clymer manual for an 80's Yamaha bike, and a couple children's toys. Separate incidents.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 AM

Always collect all the garbage I can on any non-city location I deem to be ecologically within hope. On the few places where I, sadly, see no realistic hope for any degree of cleanliness (mostly in the city) I shift my focus to particularly dangerous objects for wildife; tangles of mono, six pack rings etc.

Found my Leathernman while collecting garbage stream fishing trout in the foothills, still in great shape half a dozen years later. Goes with me everywhere.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned

Cool

sunday 8 am, roll up to the popular spot at makinnon flats. first thing you see, somebody 's fire pit at the parking lot. the walk to the large pool up stream maybe 1k . litter,emptys, timmy's cup, cover the ground most of the way. we get to the pool and 4 folks drinking beers, spreading trash where they fish. they left shortly after we arrive. the sum of there morning fish 6 beer bottles, 50 yrds of line, 2 cigarette packets, two worm bags, and a fairly new pflugar reel. my friend and I enjoy good sport at the spot 4 bows 18-20, one long line release on a larger bow. we then spent 15 min picking up others crap to carry back to the vehicle. from my point of veiw it would seem very few people give a rats for our rivers. we could have spent hours cleaning up the area, however the procesion of uncaring public walking by as we cleaned eventually took the wind from our sails and we left. two safe way bags of garbage richer. I dont make many trips to the bow, now I remember why. for a gem of a river very few take the time to give it the polish it deserves. sad state of affairs.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 AM

I carry a couple garbage bags just for this reason.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Weeeeeeeee
Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Whats the top thing you've found on the side of the river, and kept for yourself???

I run into lures and golf balls a lot... most the time the golf balls get thrown up on shore further, and the lures in my tackle box to be thrown out or kept if they aren't rusted...

how about everyone else?

Also - a poll - when you see trash that fits in your pockets on the riverbed / lake shore - do you ignore it, or take a handful out when you walk out???

edit: Personally, i try and pick up all the tangled balls of line... hate it when animals get caught up in that. Also will try and take things that fit in the pockets of my vest, it mostly gets filled with line though.
2 weeks ago i found an 8' cedar 4x4 floating in the hole i fish at the beverly bridge. carried it back to my van. funny thing was i had planned to go to home depot that very night to buy a couple 4x4s. i did however drive away from my 2 piece rod last week that i had leaning on my van. if a member found it please pm me.
i am always finding the odd bits of tackle and other interesting stuff but the most memberable thing if seen is a mans dead body floating by the ped. bridge in rundle park years ago.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
.... I was leaned over the side peering into the depths wonder what the heck was on the end of that rope when a huge mouth full of teeth apeared, like I mean REALY HUGE! About the time I got done making a mess of my boxers I realized that it was painted across the nose of an old 14 foot boat!....
My stomach hurts from laughing so hard!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM

there was one time a few weeks ago when I was walking the river shore line ans came apon a frame of a car with the wheels still attached! I still have no idea how it got there cause it was right at the bottom of a cliff and you couldnt just drive it down there! haha
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMisfit88 View Post
Weeeeeeeee
seriously for your first post.... thanks for adding to the topic
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post
seriously for your first post.... thanks for adding to the topic
its just somebody who was banned.....
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
its just somebody who was banned.....
Lol, going to the trouble of getting back on here just to say "Weeee" and most likely get kicked back off right after? And I thought I was lame.