Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 AM

Default Fishing from a Canoe in Southern Alberta - Pipe Dream?

Looking for a little bit of guidance regarding fishing from a canoe, particularly in windy Southern Alberta? First of all, is it more of a pain than anything? The only canoe fishing I've ever done is in a 20+ft freighter canoe with a 9.9 Merc in Northern Ontario. I'd be looking at something like a 15 footer without an engine.

Having never really canoed before, would a 15ft fiberglass canoe be something two people could easily carry? How do they handle on a river such as the SSR? Would a 15ft used Coleman do the trick?

Any help is much appreciated
Old 05-16-2019, 09:31 AM

Just have to pick days with little wind. Canoes arnt fun in the wind. Choose your days and waterbodies accordingly.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Saturn Kaboat or Kayak stable reasonable price and stable
Old 05-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Default I'm no expert, but....

I've done most of my fishing from a canoe - mostly solo, but a few trips with buddies. I'd offer a few thoughts for you to consider.

Get an anchor. This is really helpful, especially in the wind. Find somewhere to tie it off in the canoe - or install a cleat. You'll drift downwind a little, just enough to get the rope out of the way. It was a big help for me when I would be blown around.

Make sure you wear a life jacket. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Canoes can be tippy - even if you have one that sits like a duck. Better safe than sorry.

Get used to fishing from the canoe in calm water. Don't just assume you can do it - get out in some calm water and get used to how the boat feels. It will respond to your every move, so it's better to get the feel right in perfect conditions than getting in over your head (maybe literally).

Finally, the fibreglass canoe weighs a ton. I have a 15 ft. Scout Canoe - fibreglass and I love it because it's so heavy. It's a beast to get on top of the van, but it's wide and super stable in the water. It's definitely not fast, but for fishing, it's great.

Enjoy pal. Some of my best fishing memories have come from a canoe in some back country lakes in Ontario. Now I'm making new memories in the lakes of Alberta.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM

As a canoe fisher only (actually sold my motor boat to use canoe) I highly recommend it. As said you need to pick your waterbody and weather but it forces you to slow and really work an area. I'd second everything said above and would also encourage a search about canoe fishing in the forum. Some great info.

P.S Install rod holders, they are a life saver.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 PM

Do make sure that you pick calm days and wear a life jacket. Both Crawling Valley and Newell have caused funerals when the wind came up.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:41 PM

I used to have a canoe with 5hp and still have the motor. Need to be careful on the big lakes but if you pick your day or go to some of the smaller ones it works quite well.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:53 PM

Sometimes you can find sheltered bays that stay quite calm even on windy days.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:18 PM

As said before, wear your life jacket at all times.

Don't stand up. I was out of my canoe once when the wind the shifted when standing up to cast. Was wearing my life jacket and worse to happen was ending up with soggy cigarettes. Never stood up again.

Always carry an anchor.

Even if you're using a motor, always have paddles.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 AM

We just bought a cheapo Pelican 15.5', a motor bracket, and a Minn Kota 40lb-er....we are STOKED to get out on the water. Already have about a half dozen spots in mind to take the old girl. It's not a forever thing (after our wedding this summer, we're buying a Lund or Alumacraft 16') but for this summer, it's going to be a lot of fun getting off shore...
Old 05-17-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
We just bought a cheapo Pelican 15.5', a motor bracket, and a Minn Kota 40lb-er....we are STOKED to get out on the water. Already have about a half dozen spots in mind to take the old girl. It's not a forever thing (after our wedding this summer, we're buying a Lund or Alumacraft 16') but for this summer, it's going to be a lot of fun getting off shore...
A small electric makes the difference night and day. I got caught out on wabamum without one and damn near have up and portaged back to the camp site. And that's a small bay by the provincial park!

I came next time with a 40lb endura and was sold. I actually got to fish? Before I was always stuck rowing and only my daughter got to fish lol

They are so cheap and so worth it, safety and pleasure wise
Old 05-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by updatelee View Post
A small electric makes the difference night and day. I got caught out on wabamum without one and damn near have up and portaged back to the camp site. And that's a small bay by the provincial park!

I came next time with a 40lb endura and was sold. I actually got to fish? Before I was always stuck rowing and only my daughter got to fish lol

They are so cheap and so worth it, safety and pleasure wise
hey outta curiosity, what did you do for a battery for yours? That's the one thing I haven't bought yet, is the battery for the motor....not sure how expensive I should go with it...
Old 05-17-2019, 12:07 PM

Costco sells deep cycles. great battery (Im told they are made by Interstate) and Costco has a great return/warranty policy.

It would last all day no problem. and that endura 40 could get me moving faster then I could ever paddle !!!
Old 05-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by updatelee View Post
Costco sells deep cycles. great battery (Im told they are made by Interstate) and Costco has a great return/warranty policy.

It would last all day no problem. and that endura 40 could get me moving faster then I could ever paddle !!!
awesome - thanks man. You're the 3rd person to tell me that and I just happen to have a $75 rebate cheque from Costco in my wallet, so I think I know what I'm doing. Ha ha.