Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Default Rifle range around Calgary for non members

I am new to hunting and I would like to sight my 7mm Remi. I installed the scope from proline and they sighted it at 100 years. I would like to sight my gun at 240 yards.

Can you please please let me know within 2 hours radius which range I can go to sight my rifle? I am not planning to be a member and prefer to sight it in one day trip. I am willing to go as far as Brooks. I need to get ready for hunting season and this year I am going all out.

Thank you in advance for your tips and feedback.

Nafi
Old 05-09-2019, 02:27 PM

Why 240 yards? But Waiprious has a bunch of crown land with some make shift ranges there. Or see if you can meet someone who will take you out to CDTSA Milo. You won't be able to sight to 240 yards but you could at 200m or 300m
Old 05-09-2019, 05:36 PM

Drive to crown land, there will be zero ranges with targets set up at 240 yards and might be tuff to find a member of one of the ranges to let you in and burn a guest pass for a stranger when most ranges have guest pass limits and costs...
Old 05-09-2019, 05:53 PM

Find a suitable location of crown land, and head out there more than once to practice. After your rifle is confirmed impacting where your scope is aiming, practice shooting from likely hunting positions. Standing offhand, tree limb rest, backpack supported. See how consistent you are for field shooting. Build confidence in your ability to shoot.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafiul15 View Post
I am new to hunting and I would like to sight my 7mm Remi. I installed the scope from proline and they sighted it at 100 years. I would like to sight my gun at 240 yards.

Can you please please let me know within 2 hours radius which range I can go to sight my rifle? I am not planning to be a member and prefer to sight it in one day trip. I am willing to go as far as Brooks. I need to get ready for hunting season and this year I am going all out.

Thank you in advance for your tips and feedback.

Nafi

Or you could just zero it at 27 yds, call it a day, and read an mpbr chart. Likely as accurate as you'll be shooting at 240 unless you have a very high magnification scope and it'll save you some ammo
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 PM

Since I am new to big game hunting I try to take any and all tips that I get from others. One gentleman told me to sight 240 yards since its 7mm Remi caliber.

I guess he meant to sight it for maximum range that I will hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
Why 240 yards? But Waiprious has a bunch of crown land with some make shift ranges there. Or see if you can meet someone who will take you out to CDTSA Milo. You won't be able to sight to 240 yards but you could at 200m or 300m
Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 PM

different ammo choices of the same chambering "7mm Remi", will have different bullet distance trajectory. even the same bullet weight, in different ammo brands, will have different distance characteristics, and will act differently from one gun to another. Someone else's experience may not work for you.

What ammunition are you going to try?

go to crown land. Shoot at 50, then 100, then 150, then 200, then 240. if you can keep it on the paper for every shot, you will see where it is hitting differently at all those distances.

240 might be perfect, it may not, you need to find out for yourself.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Just a piece of advice. shoot as far on targets, as you will ever attempt a shot on a game animal. Calculated trajectories don't always match actual trajectories, especially, if you haven't actually chronographed the load in your rifle. New shooters may think that they are competent to 400 or 500 yards, but most newer shooters have no business shooting at animals past 200 yards.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:55 PM

Thank you fir the advice. Will follow word to word.

Nafi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just a piece of advice. shoot as far on targets, as you will ever attempt a shot on a game animal. Calculated trajectories don't always match actual trajectories, especially, if you haven't actually chronographed the load in your rifle. New shooters may think that they are competent to 400 or 500 yards, but most newer shooters have no business shooting at animals past 200 yards.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Find a suitable location of crown land, and head out there more than once to practice. After your rifle is confirmed impacting where your scope is aiming, practice shooting from likely hunting positions. Standing offhand, tree limb rest, backpack supported. See how consistent you are for field shooting. Build confidence in your ability to shoot.
I intend to do just this. My questions is: can you give me a general sense of how difficult this is?

-How far into crown do you typically have to go?
-Are there frequent open areas that are suitable for shooting?
-Are these openings visible from roads or do you have to hike to find them?
-Is it best to get as far away from the cities as possible to find a spot, or is there good options everywhere?

Any insights are appreciated.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Boomer View Post
I intend to do just this. My questions is: can you give me a general sense of how difficult this is?

-How far into crown do you typically have to go?
-Are there frequent open areas that are suitable for shooting?
-Are these openings visible from roads or do you have to hike to find them?
-Is it best to get as far away from the cities as possible to find a spot, or is there good options everywhere?

Any insights are appreciated.
Locate crown land on a map, and then follow firearm safety rules and common sense respect for other users in the area. A good location will have a good backstop of hill behind your target, and lots of visibility to make sure that there isnt anyone anywhere beside you, between your target, or behind your target. The visibility in trees is less desirable compared to a grassy field for spotting other public land users. Don't shoot across roads or along roads.

If theres other people there before you and they are hiking or picnicking or birdwatching or camping or whatever they want to do on public land, find a spot far enough away that you are not going to blast their ears or make them wonder if a stray bullet may be zipping by them.

Short story, find a empty big field with a hill at one end, and put your target at the base of the hill, and distance yourself however far away you need to shoot.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Short story, find a empty big field with a hill at one end, and put your target at the base of the hill, and distance yourself however far away you need to shoot.
Yes but: how hard it is to find an empty big field with a hill at one end? I've not spent a lot of time on crown land, but plan to soon.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Boomer View Post
Yes but: how hard it is to find an empty big field with a hill at one end? I've not spent a lot of time on crown land, but plan to soon.
Not hard once you are in crown land. Make sure you get a map that marks crown land vs private land, and park designated areas, as some crown land areas have restrictions on permitted activities.

You should ask someone who you know who has some experience in the activities you are interested in, and have them show you first hand.

Before you decide to go shooting or hunting, it would be a big benefit to do some hiking and get some experience in what you need to wear and equipment to bring so you are comfortable being away from your vehicle/house/city for extended periods (all day possibly). Trying to jump straight into shooting a rifle on crown land is going to be easier if you already have the basics of being comfortable figured out. Trying to target shoot/sight in a rifle is not fun if you are trying to do it while having your body screaming at you for some other reason.

It would also be a big benefit to get out to those areas and learn what activities other people are doing, so that you dont mistakenly endanger someone else when you start into shooting.

What kind of firearm are you going to be shooting?

If you want to just go shoot and not deal with this crown land cautions/concerns, pay the small drop in cost and go to a range where all this stuff is conveniently setup for you. The Calgary Shooting Centre has non-member shooting options.

Last edited by Nyksta; 05-15-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Not hard once you are in crown land. Make sure you get a map that marks crown land vs private land, and park designated areas, as some crown land areas have restrictions on permitted activities.

You should ask someone who you know who has some experience in the activities you are interested in, and have them show you first hand.

Before you decide to go shooting or hunting, it would be a big benefit to do some hiking and get some experience in what you need to wear and equipment to bring so you are comfortable being away from your vehicle/house/city for extended periods (all day possibly). Trying to jump straight into shooting a rifle on crown land is going to be easier if you already have the basics of being comfortable figured out. Trying to target shoot/sight in a rifle is not fun if you are trying to do it while having your body screaming at you for some other reason.

It would also be a big benefit to get out to those areas and learn what activities other people are doing, so that you dont mistakenly endanger someone else when you start into shooting.

What kind of firearm are you going to be shooting?

If you want to just go shoot and not deal with this crown land cautions/concerns, pay the small drop in cost and go to a range where all this stuff is conveniently setup for you. The Calgary Shooting Centre has non-member shooting options.
Okay, that's good to know it's not hard to find suitable areas. I'll use the iHunter app to mark the crown land boundaries.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who target shoots on crown land.

I've been hunting for almost 25 years. Usually birds. I'd like to get out for deer this year and I'm looking to sight in my .270 Win.

I've investigated various shooting ranges before, never seemed to be that easy (driving distance, membership fees, access (over crowding). What's the shooting distance at the The Calgary Shooting Centre center-fire range?

I live in NW Calgary, do you have any other suggestions for a range, I'd have no problem paying for a membership if the place wasn't crazy busy.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Calgary shooting center is 25yards
The shooting edge is 45-50yards
Not far at all if you are shooting long guns