Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Default Crowsnest area snow pack?

Or better said "Snow Water Equivalent" probably in the Old Man Water shed?
South of the boarder it is dismal! My particular area is at 58% and drought alerts already being imposed. Much fear about increased amount of Wild Fires. Have already had Wild Fires in March in some areas!

Your thoughts, please.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:09 PM

When a party that doesn't believe in man affected climate change is elected it will only get worse and more extreme each year.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
When a party that doesn't believe in man affected climate change is elected it will only get worse and more extreme each year.
WOW- That is one heck of a stretch.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Rachel is that you?
Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM

There wasn't an extraordinary snowfall last winter but it wasn't minimal either. Increased wildfires? Increased fear...…………………only you can prevent fear of wildfires.

It's been a wet spring so far.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Is this you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47488941_2005287779563253_101042386993414144_n.jpg (29.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Last year actually had above average snowpack, that must have been the carbon tax helping?
Old 04-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:

you're having a party for man affected climate change?

thats weird
Old 04-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Spring rain is most important May June is when it’s most important
Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I know it’s been legalized but you might want to step away from the bong before logging onto public forums
Old 04-12-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Is this you?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Last year actually had above average snowpack, that must have been the carbon tax helping?
Uhhh...This entire thread has already gone full bozo. I guess I will put on some Jason Kenney makeup and wade in...

This year's snow pack was significantly below average. Last year's snowpack was average, but with a much faster melt.

Carbon taxes suck ass, but the little evidence we have is that they should work.

Carbon tax is here to stay---'getting rid of the carbon tax' is just asinine political rhetoric. Either the provincial government mandates a tax or the federal government will. The difference being who collects the taxes. The only thing that would p!ss me off more than the carbon tax is letting Trudeau decide how the carbon tax money is spent.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 PM

To answer the original question (and no political comment) the south racehorse snow pillow says average range right now should be 350 - 400 mm snow water equivalent, but we are currently only at 250 mm, so very low snowpack. Hope for some spring/summer rains or could be very low tide in oldman streams. I think a bit better snowpack in the Castle area, but still below average.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Uhhh...This entire thread has already gone full bozo. I guess I will put on some Jason Kenney makeup and wade in...

This year's snow pack was significantly below average. Last year's snowpack was average, but with a much faster melt.

Carbon taxes suck ass, but the little evidence we have is that they should work.

Carbon tax is here to stay---'getting rid of the carbon tax' is just asinine political rhetoric. Either the provincial government mandates a tax or the federal government will. The difference being who collects the taxes. The only thing that would p!ss me off more than the carbon tax is letting Trudeau decide how the carbon tax money is spent.

In the oldman basin snowpack was above average last year, look at lost creek or racehorse snow pillows. Alberta and probably Canada could stop using fossil fuels tomorrow and it wouldn’t make an impact on global levels of Carbon, let alone climate.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Thank you.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh my!!!!
Give it a rest!!!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:16 PM

Carbon tax is here to stay. The brokers I know say investment capital is fleeing Canada.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:40 PM

snow pacts are way down this year similar to 2&3 years ago, depending on how it melts and what sort of rain/snow we get in the next 3-4 weeks it could be a low water summer... how hot the summer will be? who knows...
Old 04-27-2019, 07:57 AM

The UN says 12 years to fix the Carbon issue or the world dies.
And we still argue.
God forgive our actions.
And to illustrate stupidity, the SNC BS which resulted in NOTHING accomplished for several months.
Tbe clock is ticking

Don
Old 04-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
And we still argue.
God forgive our actions.
And to illustrate stupidity, the SNC BS which resulted in NOTHING accomplished for several months.
Tbe clock is ticking

Don
One of the last organizations I would believe in is the UN.
If they are right every the UN's efforts would be better spent trying to convince the Chinese to improve their manufacturing standards.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
And we still argue.
God forgive our actions.
Tbe clock is ticking

Don
Climate change is real. The UN is phony. Anyone or any organization that claims to know the year, decade, century, or millennia that specific climate change effects will take place is an understated schlemiel. 12 years? We might as well start digging graves now. If 12 years is the answer, the momentum would be too great to overcome. Go pick out your headstone
Old 04-27-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I'm quite sure an intelligent person like yourself realizes the green house gasses generated by Alberta, and indeed all of Canada are a tiny bit of the global total (approx. 1.4 to 1.5 %). Also, these gasses have no clue that the 49th parallel is the American Canadian border, or the Pacific and Atlantic oceans divide continents. What happens in Canada is pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme. Just saying.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
I'm quite sure an intelligent person like yourself realizes the green house gasses generated by Alberta, and indeed all of Canada are a tiny bit of the global total (approx. 1.4 to 1.5 %). Also, these gasses have no clue that the 49th parallel is the American Canadian border, or the Pacific and Atlantic oceans divide continents. What happens in Canada is pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme. Just saying.
We have to start somewhere. How about being a leading country for a change.

The UN is warning what climate scientists have said:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mark-un-report

So it is not the UN that is the source.

They are also not saying the world dies. Of course not. But it will change and we will get to the point that it would be harder to change it or slow it at all.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:18 PM

I think its pretty majorly presumptuous of us and by us i mean mankind to think we can have any affect on changing the climate. We are still struggling to predict weather accurately daily for gosh sakes. They said we were going to get 10 to 20 centimetres here this morning on the weather net work and now i see several hours later they have revised it to say 1 to 2 cc. What does UN know?

We may not like the result of trying to change it as much or more as what may be coming. As somebody on this forum said elsewhere what happens when the carbon taxes on gas keep going up which they will and end up costing us more in gas than the hotel we are going to for the night. As gas goes up so does all goods as its all hauled by fuel burners before we get it.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

They are also not saying the world dies. Of course not. But it will change and we will get to the point that it would be harder to change it or slow it at all.

Why is everyone so quick to believe everything “climate scientists” say but don’t believe a thing that comes out of the mouth of the government bios? They fall in the same boat in my eyes, they’re both on government pay rolls and their results should deservedly be scrutinized by the public.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Why is everyone so quick to believe everything “climate scientists” say but don’t believe a thing that comes out of the mouth of the government bios? They fall in the same boat in my eyes, they’re both on government pay rolls and their results should deservedly be scrutinized by the public.
I don't know if you referring to me but I'm not "that guy". Why would anyone believe someone on a forum, who is not a "climate scientist" but an arm chair expert? Obviously we should ignore science and go with "some guys" opinion....NOT!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:11 AM

The above posts reveal why we are doomed as a species.
The driver, the “The Tragedy of the Commons”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

And here is the evidence:
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...science-world/

Don

Last edited by Don Andersen; 04-28-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:13 AM

And yet the ozone layer is fixing itself just because little old Canada is making a big dent in the environment with our carbon tax bull shat!
Old 04-28-2019, 06:45 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

What about the 30,000 scientists who say the whole thing is a farce?
Old 04-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
What about the 30,000 scientists who say the whole thing is a farce?
Where are the 30,000?

Don