Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 PM

Default What is your favourite nitrile gloves for salmon fishing?

https://www.amazon.ca/AMMEX-GWGN4610...ay&sr=8-7&th=1

I am using a blue kind now. Wondering about these green ones.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Could you explain why one needs nitrile gloves to fish for salmon?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Could you explain why one needs nitrile gloves to fish for salmon?
My thoughts.....
Old 05-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Read on wikileaks that handling bait turns off fish maybe?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 AM

just happened on this today

One thing I’m extremely passionate about is spreading the word on the dangers of wearing gloves while handling fish.
This featured video was originally created by Sean Dolan:
“You have just removed it's only protection from pathogens and diseases found in the water. Most commonly for Atlantic Salmon and Brook Trout is saprolegnia (fungus) that will grow on the open wound and eventually take over and kill the fish or make an easy meal for predators.”
We can’t stress enough how damaging it is to fish when anglers handle them with gloves on.
As I, and many others, have seen the irreparable harm cause by all types of gloves, from SPF to wool and to many species.
So next time you net a picture worth fish, no matter how uncomfortable your hands are... please take your gloves off and wet your hands before handling a fish. It could mean life or death.
📹 @seandolan77

https://www.facebook.com/WildRise.Fl...EeM304&__xts__[0]=68.ARC07EyyiHb9YQKRsaPgN1ffzpY3dO3y8inecrqZ-lqAEzoWDIPqdL2pKbV0_rfPjBrRjcysDqAPoaGHoxUqEHilVIS PuYAN1mzuehYWUnH75751GshI7XKdTlec5zgw4BEyiJE2bhjmK O2o8tRbbwHwyxqT4stCH_C_aeUK9LxS_o5fu8Rjnb39GWt_Oev p0CVnYsaAb_ZPHrt4ToP-rYI79raP_JGZ_rrhxa76krYUzElxrKLS7sp-rjq10C9wcuHOENIvBw34N3TiVpL7h5aS7fUr_KT0kpXmOO2tTJ VdM_cAFWEm-4XnRfLRMyZIimlj4KftCXxrTN-SFsuysbPV7CPMDKMNDiEfCRbiZG7PzumLP_4tB4kjTw&__tn__ =FC-R

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-31-2019, 12:39 PM

nitrile gloves have less friction than ridges on your skin....far different from a pair of wool gloves
Old 06-03-2019, 01:28 AM

the less you handle any bait the better it will work whether it’s salmon crabs or halibut specially at the beginning of the day when the scent of caught fish and bait isn’t on you my best advice for fishing with row is use spider thread on your gob so as it sits in the water the elastic string will slowly construct and pop eggs cause it to milk and attract fish
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 AM

I wear the nitrile gloves almost daily... Cheaper Costco brand ones for handling crab bait, and light duty... Have used the blue 15mil Gorilla’s for more extreme duty. Yes it reduces scent on bait, but here on the coast, Bait Brines as well as salt water really take a toll on ones hands. Nicks and cuts easily become infected. Hand can get so dry, cracked, and sore after a few days they barely function. Also the chance of “Fish Poisoning” is nothing to mess with... Nitrile gloves, and O’Keeffe’s Working Hands hand cream for this guy...