Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Buy a Tikka T3 with a Laminate stock, replace the trigger guard with a metal one from Tikka Precision in MT, have it glass bedded, load up ANY 130 spitzer (My personal favorite is the Swift SCII) behind 58 grains of H450 in a Nosler case with CCI 200 primers at 3.30", sight it in for 3" high at 100 yards and you will have yourself the absolute killing machine with extremely manageable recoil and flat trajectory for any edible game that walks in NA and anywhere else.

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH
Old 05-05-2019, 11:07 AM

H4350, pardon the typo.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Banned

58gr of h4350 with a 130gr bullet might be 2-3gr too hot.
Try 54-55gr
Old 05-05-2019, 12:43 PM

Use H4831

-Billy Molls
Old 05-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
If Tikka is Toyota (Fine vehicles) then Sako is Lexus. Step up by same manufacturer.

BMW and several rifle manufacturers take that up another notch.

Toyota's/Tikkas are still far better options than plain Jane low end domestics that get the job done for a couple of years then have zero trade in value.
I actually think there are many legit parallels. It makes sense that markets tend to break up and divide along similar lines regardless of the product as certain consumer values carry throughout the wide range of purchasing decisions we make.

(sorry OP for the thread drift)
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Laughing! Are you comparing a Sako to a BMW? Maybe a Toyota with pleather seats would be more appropriate.
Whatever
Old 05-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
People shop for silver and black coloured rifles. That, unfortunately, is the extent of most people’s firearms knowledge.
I finally figured you out!

https://chuck-norris-jokes.com/index.html

Chuck Norris is not Politically Correct. He is just Correct. Always

Im glad you're here Chuck. The forum wouldnt be the same without you.

Last edited by Nyksta; 05-05-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 PM

Well this has been miles more entertaining, enlightening, and enjoyable than I would've ever thought.

Appreciate all the input everyone!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 AM

If it were me ,I would go to a gun show or two.
Shoulder as many rifles as you can and ask gobs of questions. Many folks at these things are willing to talk and you will see things there you won't see anywhere else.
It can be a fact finder for you- leave you wallet at home and enjoy the day
Old 05-12-2019, 10:15 AM

I may have a really nice old Sako AV deluxe .270Win for sale next week pending a several gun trade deal I’m working on,VG-EXC condition...Pm me if interested?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi View Post
In your experiences, is there a big difference in quality of rifle from an entry level and something a few steps up?
I guess it depends on how you define quality. If by "quality" you mean that it can repeatedly hit targets with the accuracy required for hunting (not competitive shooting) at any range 95% of us take shots at, well, then most rifles meet that criteria. Inexpensive Rem SPS's, Ruger Americans, Savages, etc. all meet criteria. No major firearm manufacturer makes a gun that won't do the job.

The cost increase is due more to features hunters may like that don't really have much to do with more efficiently killing an animal. In big game rifles I've owned $1000 Brownings and $2000 Sakos. I'm clear they weren't any more accurate or reliable (at least in the practical world) than a ton of $700 rifles out there. I paid more for the lightness, the metal rather than plastic parts, a magazine release system I preferred, the stainless steel, the smoothness of the bolt cycling, etc (and yeah, the name recognition). I told my son to get a Vanguard. As others have mentioned, it is reliable, accurate, and cost effective. It's worked perfectly for him. 10 other entry level rifles from major manufacturers would have also fit the bill.

So go shoulder rifles, see what fits and feels good, and fits your budget. Cycle it, push the mag in and pull it out. If you can afford a $2000 rifle, go for it! Just know that it won't get you one more animal than a $700 one. If the $700 rifle means you can buy more ammo to practice, then that is the BEST rifle for you. When you are starting out you worry WAY too much about the rifle, the right calibre, etc. (I sure did). .270, . 280, .30-06, .308, Remington. Vanguard, Savage, Ruger etc. It's going to work for Alberta game animals. Pick what feels good.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I guess it depends on how you define quality. If by "quality" you mean that it can repeatedly hit targets with the accuracy required for hunting (not competitive shooting) at any range 95% of us take shots at, well, then most rifles meet that criteria. Inexpensive Rem SPS's, Ruger Americans, Savages, etc. all meet criteria. No major firearm manufacturer makes a gun that won't do the job.

The cost increase is due more to features hunters may like that don't really have much to do with more efficiently killing an animal. In big game rifles I've owned $1000 Brownings and $2000 Sakos. I'm clear they weren't any more accurate or reliable (at least in the practical world) than a ton of $700 rifles out there. I paid more for the lightness, the metal rather than plastic parts, a magazine release system I preferred, the stainless steel, the smoothness of the bolt cycling, etc (and yeah, the name recognition). I told my son to get a Vanguard. As others have mentioned, it is reliable, accurate, and cost effective. It's worked perfectly for him. 10 other entry level rifles from major manufacturers would have also fit the bill.

So go shoulder rifles, see what fits and feels good, and fits your budget. Cycle it, push the mag in and pull it out. If you can afford a $2000 rifle, go for it! Just know that it won't get you one more animal than a $700 one. If the $700 rifle means you can buy more ammo to practice, then that is the BEST rifle for you. When you are starting out you worry WAY too much about the rifle, the right calibre, etc. (I sure did). .270, . 280, .30-06, .308, Remington. Vanguard, Savage, Ruger etc. It's going to work for Alberta game animals. Pick what feels good.

Well said
Old 05-14-2019, 06:14 PM

IMO quality is not defined by accuracy.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I agree completely. It is one element by which I judge a firearm but there are many other qualities that go into defining quality vs poorly made guns.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okotokian View Post
i guess it depends on how you define quality. If by "quality" you mean that it can repeatedly hit targets with the accuracy required for hunting (not competitive shooting) at any range 95% of us take shots at, well, then most rifles meet that criteria. Inexpensive rem sps's, ruger americans, savages, etc. All meet criteria. No major firearm manufacturer makes a gun that won't do the job.

The cost increase is due more to features hunters may like that don't really have much to do with more efficiently killing an animal. In big game rifles i've owned $1000 brownings and $2000 sakos. I'm clear they weren't any more accurate or reliable (at least in the practical world) than a ton of $700 rifles out there. I paid more for the lightness, the metal rather than plastic parts, a magazine release system i preferred, the stainless steel, the smoothness of the bolt cycling, etc (and yeah, the name recognition). I told my son to get a vanguard. As others have mentioned, it is reliable, accurate, and cost effective. It's worked perfectly for him. 10 other entry level rifles from major manufacturers would have also fit the bill.

So go shoulder rifles, see what fits and feels good, and fits your budget. Cycle it, push the mag in and pull it out. If you can afford a $2000 rifle, go for it! Just know that it won't get you one more animal than a $700 one. If the $700 rifle means you can buy more ammo to practice, then that is the best rifle for you. When you are starting out you worry way too much about the rifle, the right calibre, etc. (i sure did). .270, . 280, .30-06, .308, remington. Vanguard, savage, ruger etc. It's going to work for alberta game animals. Pick what feels good.
👍
Accuracy is way overrated criteria in your typical hunting rifle with your typical hunter/shooter behind the trigger.
Always see guys here and other social media outlets poo pooing on this gun or that because it can barely print a sub-MOA group or shoots 1.5MOA therefore it’s junk,bragging about their $4k rifle with $3k optic that shoots 0.3MOA etc etc blah blah blah.
EXPERIENCED hunters KNOW that the vast majority of game we take is typically well within 100m range,a 3 MOA rifle (30-30 buckhorn sights?) is more than accurate enough for 90%+ of the game and shots we will ever take,but the naysayers would have newbies believe that they NEED a 0.5 MOA tack driver that has enough downrange energy to take elk cleanly @800m.
90% or more of hunters aren’t even capable of shooting sub-MOA under field conditions,and even fewer have any bizness taking 300m+ shots at any game ever IMHO.

Last edited by West O'5; 05-15-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Every year at our camp we do an offhand shoot at a pie plate at a hundred yards you would be surprised

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed!
Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Every year at our camp we do an offhand shoot at a pie plate at a hundred yards you would be surprised

We use an old frying pan, and I agree about the results. Everybody gets 1 shot only. Loser cooks, cleans the dishes, and mixes drinks for everybody that night around the fire.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Default Ruger

There is a nice Ruger in the EE right now. Go see how it fits you.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Doesn’t everyone freehand pie plates at 500 yards?
Old 05-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Doesn’t everyone freehand pie plates at 500 yards?
Wonder what happened to that azzhat? Man, was he bizarro!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I prefer the term" reliable accuracy" as in the firearm functioning reliability under all conditions, while providing good accuracy/consistent poi, under those conditions
Old 05-15-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
every year at our camp we do an offhand shoot at a pie plate at a hundred yards you would be surprised

sent from my sm-g930w8 using tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronji View Post
we use an old frying pan, and i agree about the results. Everybody gets 1 shot only. Loser cooks, cleans the dishes, and mixes drinks for everybody that night around the fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinyotes View Post
doesn’t everyone freehand pie plates at 500 yards?:sha_shakeshout:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
i prefer the term" reliable accuracy" as in the firearm functioning reliability under all conditions, while providing good accuracy/consistent poi, under those conditions
👍👍👍👍
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I prefer the term" reliable accuracy" as in the firearm functioning reliability under all conditions, while providing good accuracy/consistent poi, under those conditions
I absolutely agree with that.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-18-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Laughing! Are you comparing a Sako to a BMW? Maybe a Toyota with pleather seats would be more appropriate.
Laughing harder are you comparing BMW to Toyota haha. BMW is just a pretty Lada.
A 270 in the $1000 to $2000 will be a rifle you pass on to your grandchild , find one that fits you well, the safety is where you like it ,trigger is crisp and it has to look cool lol
Old 05-18-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
Laughing harder are you comparing BMW to Toyota haha.
Can you point out where I made that comparison?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Chuck, out of curiosity, other than a Model 70, what would be your top 3 or 4 factory hunting rifles?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:13 AM

Kimber, Barrett, and Ruger.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-18-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Kimber, Barrett, and Ruger.
Good choices. Never had a Barrett, but everything I have read is really positive. Prophet River seems to be carrying them now also.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi View Post
I've been looking for a 270 for my hunting rifle. I've seen numerous models ranging greatly in price. In your experiences, is there a big difference in quality of rifle from an entry level and something a few steps up?

I'm not trying to be cheap, but I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. As long as I can make the rifle shoot straight, that's all I really care about.
How much are you willing to spend? Do you prefer wood or synthetic? I personally wouldn't recommend any of the entry-level rifles unless you just would like a truck gun that you're not going to get attached to or worry about. I'm not saying that they are crappy guns, you can just find better quality ones on the used market. Is this gun going to be shooting your first big game animal, Do you want something to keep long term or just short-term, Etc.?