Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Default Euro mount problem

Alright, so I have two deer heads - a whitetail spike kept as a practice run, and a mulie that I want to turn out nice.

Thawed out the spiker, skinned and fleshed, put it in a pot with hot water and dawn soap on the bbq. Hour later there’s an occasional bubble but not really simmering. Stripped what I could and put it back on for another hour with a wind shield around it. Bit better. Got the brain out.

This morning I picked up a single burner. Much better. Simmered for an hour. Started trying to clean it up. There’s bloody cartilage in all the little nose bones and damned if I can get it out. Eventually I got curious and knocked out the ‘nasal panels’ I guess you could call them....holy smokes. I thought it was almost good but there was tones of that crap in there. Would have smelled horrible.

Now I’ve been screwing around with this for 2 days, this thing has been cooking for 3 hours, in 2 pots of water, and it wasn’t close to being good. How much longer? Does hot water and soap really get that stuff out? Can a home made euro really be scent free or do most guys have them in the garage and not notice? What else did I screw up???
Old 05-14-2019, 05:54 PM

Pressure washer
Old 05-14-2019, 06:22 PM

i simmer mine for like 4-5 hours total taking it out every once in a while to pressure wash.

I buy the dawn dish soap from walmart with 3X the grease cleaning power. I end up using the entire bottle, it costs like $4 no need to ration it. I also use powered oxy clean detergent without bleach in it, i use half a container of that.

Moose & deer skulls ive done come out great.

No smell all of mine are indoors inside the house.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Oxy clean

Times 5 on Oxy clean.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:28 PM

Check our white bone creations on YouTube, that guy has it dialed in. Coles notes version

Strip off as much tissue as possible

Throw skull and some oxiclean in the water and boil until the membrane on the front part of the skull starts to peel back

Pressure wash ( I take mine to the wand wash and do it there)

Take some 40 volume peroxide mix 50/50 with water and put skull in it back on the Turkey burner and boil that for 20 minutes.

Take out and pressure was again (I use my own pressure washer for that)

50/50 mix is good for a few skulls

I did a thawed out bear skull in 6 hours and it was on my shelf done. I kid you not this is the easiest way to do skulls at home I have found. No waiting for it to rot out or beetles to deal with and the teeth don't fall out leaving you with a puzzle and the worry of losing the small ones.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 PM

I boiled my moose skull for 2 days on and off and then used a pressure washer. 1 or 2 hours is not nearly long enough IMO.
Good luck
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM

One word....soda ash. It turns the meat and cartilage to gel and it comes right out.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
One word....soda ash. It turns the meat and cartilage to gel and it comes right out.
Yep but be careful with that stuff though
Old 05-15-2019, 12:09 AM

Default Skulls

Where are you located. I have done a lot of skulls with great success. I do use soda ash half cup per 5 gal water and a deer never simmers for longer than 3 hours. Usually half hour simmer/boil then pressure wash. Never a deer more than 3 cycles. Bears longer. Then 50 50 40% peroxide. Bring to a boil with skull in it. Antlers wrapped of coarse and done in 15 min. Once dry seal with a coat of mop and glow. Pm me and I can help you out if your having issues
Old 05-15-2019, 07:27 AM

I put half a cup of 100 Mule Team Borax in with the water. It really helps to get all the shmagma out... Don’t dump it out on the lawn afterwards though. I did that 6 years ago and I still have a dead spot where nothing, not even weeds, will grow.

A pressure washer works great but you’ll lose all the nasal cartilage. Depends on what look you are going for. I’ve done a few at the car wash when no one is looking.🙂
Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 AM

My elk simmered all day with me picking and pulling meat of it throughout the process. Then to the car wash to finish it. Maybe needs a longer soak.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Borax and 5 hours on low simmer. Works every time. No pressure wash needed. Make sure all the brain is cleaned out or you'll end up with a grease stain.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 PM

Someone has to say it, so apologies: though DIY skull cleaning is nice and lots of guys do it, I found it soooo much nicer, easier, time efficient, to find a beetle guy and pay the money. I think I really gave up on my WT euro whenI had to drain snake brain goo out of my kitchen sink. YMMV.

Mitch