Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Ricky7 Ricky7 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 869
Default How to Catch Your Own Bait with a Fly Rod!

I found a school of suckers while out fly fishing and put the hurtin on em for bait in a couple weeks!

https://youtu.be/wBuda9UBU1c
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:59 PM
the local angler the local angler is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,499
Default

right on man my buddy introduced me to suckers on a fly rod and i have been hooked ever since. especially when you catch them in the 5lb plus mark they are an awsome fight. i even target them for fun more then trout now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 PM
MooseRiverTrapper MooseRiverTrapper is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,121
Default

Go through the eye twice before you twist!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Ricky7 Ricky7 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
right on man my buddy introduced me to suckers on a fly rod and i have been hooked ever since. especially when you catch them in the 5lb plus mark they are an awsome fight. i even target them for fun more then trout now.
Awesome! Yeah I know the big ones love balanced leeches too!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Ricky7 Ricky7 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Go through the eye twice before you twist!
What for?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Bigwoodsman Bigwoodsman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,036
Default

Learned something watching that video. Never though suckers would take a fly.

Thanks for the lesson

BW
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Ricky7 Ricky7 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Learned something watching that video. Never though suckers would take a fly.

Thanks for the lesson

BW
No problem! I was surprised also, pretty sure I could have caught one on a dry fly if I tried hard enough lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 PM
cranky cranky is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,122
Default

I thoroughly enjoyed your latest video. Also like Bigwoodsman would have never guessed a sucker would go for a fly. Guess a guy is never to old to learn something new.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Ricky7 Ricky7 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed your latest video. Also like Bigwoodsman would have never guessed a sucker would go for a fly. Guess a guy is never to old to learn something new.
Thank you sir! I may have to challenge myself to get one on a dry fly! Lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.