Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Default CZ 17hmr t1x 22lr

Set up on a field ,with lots of gophers.The tikka t1x 22lr.A cz with 17hmr barrel.Two rifles the 22lr for shots out to about 80m,the 17hmr 80m to 150m.No wind the 17hmr has amazeing accuracy,and killing power.To bad that the high cost of the 17hmr ammo,makes it impractical for day to day gopher shooting.The farmers dont seem to mind the sharp crack of the hmr, and of course very few ricochets compared to the 22lr.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 PM

I love the 17 hmr. On a windless day, we have stretched our shots out into the 300 yard range (checked with the Leica geovids). It does great work on sod rats. As you say, it is remarkably accurate.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-13-2019, 08:03 AM

I've seen 17HMR label gophers out at ridiculous distances. Granted, not in my hands. If my nephew is shooting my Marlin 917 HB and sees a gopher...that gopher is probably going to die regardless of how much wind is involved. Maybe not on the first shot, but probably on the first shot.

Great caliber, but for economy reasons..I prefer my CZ452 Varmint in 22LR. Were ammo $ no issue, I'd run my HMR every time.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM

Default 17 hmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I've seen 17HMR label gophers out at ridiculous distances. Granted, not in my hands. If my nephew is shooting my Marlin 917 HB and sees a gopher...that gopher is probably going to die regardless of how much wind is involved. Maybe not on the first shot, but probably on the first shot.

Great caliber, but for economy reasons..I prefer my CZ452 Varmint in 22LR. Were ammo $ no issue, I'd run my HMR every time.
Yes on windy days, I call it dirt fly rangeing,no need to stay home because of some wind.Oh yes the CZ i have the 455 with two barrels,95% of the time the 22lr barrel is on.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 AM

You've got yourself a nice couple of guns. A 22lr and a 17hmr make a nice pair to take out gopher shooting.

I've seen a few T1X's being shot at my range. They look to be a fine hunting rig.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Yes on windy days, I call it dirt fly rangeing,no need to stay home because of some wind.Oh yes the CZ i have the 455 with two barrels,95% of the time the 22lr barrel is on.
^perfect name for it, going to use that myself! That's exactly it. My nephew and I spot for each other that way, but mostly him spotting for me and my .22. The HMR has better glass and more magnification, so I'll shoot and hear "2" up, 12" left" lol I pick a repeatable spot on the field/hill/grass and send it. Took 10 shots to hit one that was really far, on a really windy day...but still pegged it with the 22.

I try to describe the experience to varmint guys here in Ontario, but it's hard to make people believe that most gophers will be more or less OK with bullets hitting the dirt all around them. lol We've even had them NOT move out of the way of the 2 ton truck crawling through a pasture at less than 2mph! So, you can shoot them from 20' away if you like, or stretch out as far as you choose to. The perfect, reactive target!