Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 PM

Default Trout are weird or just smart?

On my favourite pot hole west of Edmonton today and lucked into incredible non-stop chironomid action for 90 minutes in the early afternoon, and then zap, completely turned off.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Neither

Neither weird or smart. Tis the nature of hatches. The heavier the hatch, generally the more it is like a "light switch". When it's on, it's on; when it's done, it's done.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Exactly. And I'm thinking it was just one area of the lake. When I arrived there, there were shucks galore in the water and midges flying into my face. Found the right chironomid pattern, #14 snow cone, on the third try.

Question: the Mustad C53S makes a nice body but the bend straightens out too readily after fighting a bunch of 15/16 inchers. Any body have a suggestion for a stronger hook, preferably barbless so I don't have to smash the barb when tying?
Old 04-27-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Exactly. And I'm thinking it was just one area of the lake. When I arrived there, there were shucks galore in the water and midges flying into my face. Found the right chironomid pattern, #14 snow cone, on the third try.

Question: the Mustad C53S makes a nice body but the bend straightens out too readily after fighting a bunch of 15/16 inchers. Any body have a suggestion for a stronger hook, preferably barbless so I don't have to smash the barb when tying?
I’ve had those exact issues with mustad hooks, especially in size 14 of the standard dry hooks, lost some nice browns due to bend outs.

Have a look at partridge hooks, think the fishin’ hole sells them. Strong hooks and a good selection of the barbless variety
Old 04-27-2019, 05:31 PM

Use scud hooks Tiemco 2457 or Daiichi 1120. Then you are good for real fish
Old 04-27-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Use scud hooks Tiemco 2457 or Daiichi 1120. Then you are good for real fish
??

Got tons of those hooks. After some research, I think the Daiichi 1260 will serve my purpose.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post

I have a suggestion...
Try not to foul hook them.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 PM

I only use Diachii 1120 or 1260 for chironomids and scuds. The Mustad hooks simply don't last. Why bother spending all that time and effort on the lake and cheap out on the hook only to lose a good fish due to hook strength.

Check out Canadian Llama. Best price/service for Daichii around here.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
I only use Diachii 1120 or 1260 for chironomids and scuds. The Mustad hooks simply don't last. Why bother spending all that time and effort on the lake and cheap out on the hook only to lose a good fish due to hook strength.

Check out Canadian Llama. Best price/service for Daichii around here.
Put in an order for some 1260's last night. Also for some Alex Jackson's chironomid hooks, a little pricey but what the hey, worth a try.

Interesting to note that in many of the earlier chironomid recipes posted and printed by "experts", they had started off with a Mustad C49S or C53S in the vise but now the leaning appears to be a Daiichi or TMC, which indeed are much stronger.