Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-05-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer..des View Post
Am I going nuts? Where did 349..and 352 go? I wasn't drawn as it was my first year entering but am I missing something?Attachment 110234
Antlers moose results BTW
Old 08-05-2015, 01:32 AM

What I don't get is guys complaining that the tags got reduced, but then the year after the tag allowances go up they cry there is no deer

Just let them manage the resource. More animals isn't a bad thing.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It's not a joke, it's an agenda.
Reduced from 12 last year (which is still low) to just 5 this year? There has been no change in population and there are plenty of Moose so why a 58% decrease in permits???

This had better be an error or we need to throw some biologists out in the street where they belong.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Just a warning to other Albertans. Keep a very close eye on your priority and the draw summary report. I have seen first hand some obvious mistakes and have mentioned my displeasure with the Alberta Relm folks more than once. I have some friends dealing with the same issues.

If you should have been drawn 100% and weren't, make sure you let them know and don't back down.
Yes some mistakes were made , especially during the site change over, but the vast majority of complaints aren't the result of actual mistakes by the system, they are the result of people just not understanding the system. I usually hear several complaints after every draw, and so far I have been able to explain almost every issue that people have expressed to me. Learn the system, and then if there is a genuine mistake, call the appropriate people to discuss your concern.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yes some mistakes were made , especially during the site change over, but the vast majority of complaints aren't the result of actual mistakes by the system, they are the result of people just not understanding the system. I usually hear several complaints after every draw, and so far I have been able to explain almost every issue that people have expressed to me. Learn the system, and then if there is a genuine mistake, call the appropriate people to discuss your concern.
Thanks for the tips, Tips.

I know and understand the system just fine, so do the friends I mentioned as well.

Just a general warning to keep an eye on things. Mistakes have been made and I am sure there are lots that go by unnoticed.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, Tips.

I know and understand the system just fine, so do the friends I mentioned as well.

Just a general warning to keep an eye on things. Mistakes have been made and I am sure there are lots that go by unnoticed.
My post wasn't directed specifically at you, as I realize that you are well aware of how the system works, but unfortunately many people do not understand the system.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
My post wasn't directed specifically at you, as I realize that you are well aware of how the system works, but unfortunately many people do not understand the system.
So that is the perfect reason for folks to keep an eye on things and learn the system.

I am 100% positive the screw ups I mentioned above are not the only ones... I bet a bunch go unnoticed by folks that don't know the system very well, but should learn it and try and understand it.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
So that is the perfect reason for folks to keep an eye on things and learn the system.

I am 100% positive the screw ups I mentioned above are not the only ones... I bet a bunch go unnoticed by folks that don't know the system very well, but should learn it and try and understand it.
Exactly, if you don't understand the system, you might not notice genuine mistakes, or you might assume that a mistake has been made, when that simply isn't the case. Unfortunately, many people just can't be bothered to take the time to learn the system.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Banned

I just studied a few different catagories and found it all very interesting. Kind of neat to see the different quotas from zone to zone, and also how concentrated some of the draws were zone to zone.
Is there a column or special report that shows how many tags were issued to outfitters that only non residents could use? I'm sure that there must be one somewhere.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Wow numbers have really dropped. 69 to 39 in cow elk reduction in the south. I guess they want the herds to explode for next year.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 AM

There used to be info on outfitters tags maybe apos site ?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM

Default 344 results

Where are the results on 344?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter's Optometrist View Post
Where are the results on 344?
Which draw code? Antlered mule deer, antlerless elk and antlered moose are shown.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-05-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawken View Post
There are 8 resident MD buck tags available this year in WMU 318 and at least 19 non resident class O allocations that I know of, likely more.
How can that be?
I'm not anti outfitter, nor do I hunt that WMU for MD. Just saying.

There is going to be many questions posed to F&W on just what is going on with allocations for outfitters and residents.

From my recent info for 318, there are 45 outfitter allocation for Antlered Mule Deer (both archery and open).

There is no resident draw info for 316, which has 60 outfitter allocations.

Most of the low 300's are showing a significant overage of outfitter allocations from the 10% guideline...

And those resident moose special licences with the new archery seasons remaking my head spin. Official word is that the population is Increasing, and they want to Increase the harvest, yet the number of licences has dropped.

What the heck is going on?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
There is going to be many questions posed to F&W on just what is going on with allocations for outfitters and residents.

From my recent info for 318, there are 45 outfitter allocation for Antlered Mule Deer (both archery and open).

There is no resident draw info for 316, which has 60 outfitter allocations.

Most of the low 300's are showing a significant overage of outfitter allocations from the 10% guideline...

And those resident moose special licences with the new archery seasons remaking my head spin. Official word is that the population is Increasing, and they want to Increase the harvest, yet the number of licences has dropped.

What the heck is going on?
i'm noticing the same things. perhaps shannon phillips will hear our concerns?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i'm noticing the same things. perhaps shannon phillips will hear our concerns?
lol..... She has yet to even meet with the F&W senior staff....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
lol..... She has yet to even meet with the F&W senior staff....
so... probably not then... damn i thought they cared...
Old 08-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
so... probably not then... damn i thought they cared...
anyone on here that lives in her riding?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
anyone on here that lives in her riding?
Lethbridge for anyone looking to find out.

i'm willing to send a dozen emails, find me some stuff to rant about!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lethbridge for anyone looking to find out.

i'm willing to send a dozen emails, find me some stuff to rant about!
I've sent several emails, so far all they've given me to rant about is beating around the bush and not being able to answer my questions.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I've sent several emails, so far all they've given me to rant about is beating around the bush and not being able to answer my questions.
I have yet to receive a reply, other than the automated message telling me that they received my e-mail.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I have yet to receive a reply, other than the automated message telling me that they received my e-mail.
X2
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have gotten two automated responses, and have conversed back and forth with 3 different people. The guy I want the answers from sent me one response that I would equate to giving me a candy and patting me on the head and a message at the end saying he was going on holidays for the next 6 weeks. I asked for numbers and procedures, he admitted the moose population was very healthy, but wouldn't explain how he knows this. Now I'm in contact with his "helper" asking questions, and his helper is saying that I should be asking the boss these questions, he's not to sure how the boss gets his numbers???

I am learning the key is to rope them in with a friendly question, then ask them very specific questions, and be totally clear because you are dealing with politicians and they will beat around the bush. If you start out with a very direct question, and they know swhtf, they will do everything they can not to answer or will pass the buck and hope you go away.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have gotten two automated responses, and have conversed back and forth with 3 different people. The guy I want the answers from sent me one response that I would equate to giving me a candy and patting me on the head and a message at the end saying he was going on holidays for the next 6 weeks. I asked for numbers and procedures, he admitted the moose population was very healthy, but wouldn't explain how he knows this. Now I'm in contact with his "helper" asking questions, and his helper is saying that I should be asking the boss these questions, he's not to sure how the boss gets his numbers???

I am learning the key is to rope them in with a friendly question, then ask them very specific questions, and be totally clear because you are dealing with politicians and they will beat around the bush. If you start out with a very direct question, and they know swhtf, they will do everything they can not to answer or will pass the buck and hope you go away.

I think being polite and letting them know you belong to an outdoor forum and you will be posting their response, or lack there of might help. This is how I started out, along with welcoming our new minister and letting her know that this is her chance to show albertans they made the right choice, or maybe they made a mistake and will know better for next time around.

PS, I have been asking the exact same questions in every email and have yet to get straight answers, but I'm keeping at it until I do.

Last edited by Kurt505; 08-05-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Default 344

Drawn code 33 antlered moose
Old 08-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter's Optometrist View Post
Drawn code 33 antlered moose
Draw code 33 for wmu 344 is definitely listed in the summary. The draw choices for the split season are 913, and 914.
I am thinking that I will stay with my current optometrist.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
Reduced from 12 last year (which is still low) to just 5 this year? There has been no change in population and there are plenty of Moose so why a 58% decrease in permits???

This had better be an error or we need to throw some biologists out in the street where they belong.
As much as I agree that 5 tags is a joke for the zone, last year was 5 tags too! 2013 was 15 tags and 2012 was 12 tags! There is no science involved in tags issued in Ab its only about politics and people!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 PM

what happened to previous years summaries that used to be listed on the same site? They pull those so we cannot compare!?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
what happened to previous years summaries that used to be listed on the same site? They pull those so we cannot compare!?
nope still there

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...hives2014.aspx
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...hives2013.aspx
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...2012-2013.aspx
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...2010-2019.aspx
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...2000-2009.aspx
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...1996-1999.aspx
Old 08-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Default Goat

One Goat per zone ?, sheesh.