Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 10:25 AM

Default Beautiful North NWA

My son and I were at Suffield last week for the first of the three seasons this year. We hunted the base 4 years ago when no hunting was allowed in the NWA. The greater Elk population at that time combined with earlier (and warmer) seasons in November allowed for success in many areas of the base as the Elk were not in such concentrated herds. Fast forward to this season.

There are three things at play that made the hunt challenging this year: Firstly, the extreme cold a week before the season opened on Jan 20th. caused the Elk to close up into massive herds. Secondly, it is my opinion that the habitat is much better in the NWA. Thirdly, for as long as this hunt has been offered, the Elk have very much learned that the NWA is the safest place to be.

With all this said, over the three day season I would say it was one of the most unbelievable, gruelling, and satisfying hunts I've ever experienced. And we didn't even kill anything.

We did not get drawn for the North NWA the first day so easily qualified for the south portion. I'm sure there was the odd animal in the south, but not enough to flush out. However, it was the first time in there and it was a really interesting place that I'm sure would hold Elk at other times of the year.

We were fortunate to get drawn the second day for the north NWA and after some quick consultation with the Biologist (who by the way was extremely helpful and knowledgeable) we were off.

After walking in for about 1.5 km, we came across a sight I will never forget. Hundreds of Elk in various sized herds were present. My son will say I'm exaggerating at about 2000 in total, but I'll compromise at 1500 (sorry GrayHunter) We proceeded to execute stalks on the herds that took another 4 hours and about another 3 km of boot time. The closest we got to a shot was 420 metres. I'm proficient out to 300 metres at the moment, so no shot was fired. Sneaking around hills, crawling on our knees, attempted flanking took us to a point where we ran out of cover and sadly, had to salute the herd for their survival instincts.

We did not get drawn for the third day so hunted the rest of the base. Mostly the area directly west of the North NWA. Even with almost all of the Elk in the NWA, over the course of the day we still observed a herd of 10 bulls (with one lone calf in the middle, which was curious) and had a chance at a group of 4 cows.

I wanted to keep this shorter than I did, but also wanted to convey to anyone that is considering this hunt, that with access to the NWA now, it is a very cool hunt. Over 3 days we logged 30 km. of boot time, saw uncountable herds of Pronghorn, plenty of monster Mulies, and a bunch of Whitetail.

Much thanks to the Base Personnel, Fish and Wildlife Officer, and the local Biologist. They were all extremely organized and helpful.

I would do this hunt again in a heartbeat. And for you Bull guys?, we walked right past a 6 point at 70 metres, and could have taken numerous other smaller ones, so still possible. I'm guessing that maybe a hundred or so Elk might be taken over the course of all the seasons this year so sadly the herd reduction goal will not scratch the surface. Rather, the population could easily be up to 3600 plus next year. Sorry farmers, we tried our best. The Base Commander is going to have to open up those early seasons again if they want to achieve the goal (1200 I think?)

In conclusion, I'm grateful for the opportunity. Elk meat is super tasty and worth the effort. Some seriously fun Father/Son time was had.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Good post,

Thanks for posting those positive thoughts about this hunt despite not getting your elk.
We were there only for day one as we were not ready to enter the draw for walk-in hunt and there was no Elk sighting in general area by most hunters.
Good to know that there is lots of Elk there just need to get in shape or have a younger helper in case one would be successful a few klicks from the truck.

We did not see any Elk just relatively fresh trucks in one spot in NE corner close to NWA, enjoyed seeing hundreds of Pronghorn and some Mulies.

That's hunting...

I might be back next year but need to get YMCA membership soon

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-26-2020, 12:48 PM

I really enjoyed hearing about your experience in a positive manner. We need more of these types of posts on this forum.
The experience of hunting elk is only 1 small step below sheep hunting for me.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:36 PM

Thanks for sharing ,the best hunts make good memories
Old 01-28-2020, 08:17 AM

Default Beautiful north

Good to hear you and your son sharing quality time together. I’d like to offer you a pat on the back for not taking a shot that you were not 100% confident in making. Wounding an animal is the worst case scenario. There’s lots of guys that would have taken a long range shot and hoped for the best. It’s guys like you that could hunt on my land anytime. Good job.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Good to hear you and your son sharing quality time together. I’d like to offer you a pat on the back for not taking a shot that you were not 100% confident in making. Wounding an animal is the worst case scenario. There’s lots of guys that would have taken a long range shot and hoped for the best. It’s guys like you that could hunt on my land anytime. Good job.

Agreed. We saw some flock shooting at the base, guys were hundreds of away and blasting like hell. That’s sickening.