Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 05:39 PM

Default OnX maps for Alberta

Hey all. Just wanted to toss this out here. Not sure how many of you have seen or tried OnX maps. (Similar to ihunter, just more features, if we can get them) It's spectacular. In Alberta, they don't have many features though. I commented about this on the app and they mentioned to contact the help desk. The help desk responded and mentioned that they have had requests for maps in Canada. They said they add places and features via requests for those places. (They even added me to an email thread regarding my request)
So.... Get the requests out!! For me, adding the topo overlay (hybrid on OnX) and also adding the burns area history would be almost enough. The great part is downloading the areas and using them in airplane mode. To send your request email them at help@onxmaps.com. Just be specific on what you want added. OnX does work in Alberta, but not a lot of options. Like I said, the more we request stuff, the better chance we get some add ons.
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougewasiuk View Post
Hey all. Just wanted to toss this out here. Not sure how many of you have seen or tried OnX maps. (Similar to ihunter, just more features, if we can get them) It's spectacular. In Alberta, they don't have many features though. I commented about this on the app and they mentioned to contact the help desk. The help desk responded and mentioned that they have had requests for maps in Canada. They said they add places and features via requests for those places. (They even added me to an email thread regarding my request)

So.... Get the requests out!! For me, adding the topo overlay (hybrid on OnX) and also adding the burns area history would be almost enough. The great part is downloading the areas and using them in airplane mode. To send your request email them at help@onxmaps.com. Just be specific on what you want added. OnX does work in Alberta, but not a lot of options. Like I said, the more we request stuff, the better chance we get some add ons.

Thanks.
Thanks I'll support a Canadian company ihunter

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2020, 07:00 PM

Same here. I'm very happy with Ihunter and they are a Canadian company. Thanks though
Old 01-21-2020, 07:30 PM

I guess if you've never left Alberta or used anything else, I understand. I like ihunter. It just could be better. And options are always nice. 😊
Old 01-21-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I guess if you've never left Alberta or used anything else, I understand. I like ihunter. It just could be better. And options are always nice. 😊
I agree, I use Ihunter and it's an awesome app - but could (and probably should) be a lot better in terms of features when stacked up against competitors like OnX.

I would happily pay a monthly subscription to IHunter if they provided an app with comparable features.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
I agree, I use Ihunter and it's an awesome app - but could (and probably should) be a lot better in terms of features when stacked up against competitors like OnX.

I would happily pay a monthly subscription to IHunter if they provided an app with comparable features.
💯 agree. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:21 PM

I use Ihunter also and do like it alot just wish they had more features like onX a new gps app that's really good and caught my eye is basemap they have a 3d mode (only works in the US sadly) which is a awesome feature if you're hunting out west or in and around coulees . They also have really high quality maps.and you can zoom right down to the ground and it's still very clear. I hope I hunter can eventually pick up some of these features.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilly97 View Post
I use Ihunter also and do like it alot just wish they had more features like onX a new gps app that's really good and caught my eye is basemap they have a 3d mode (only works in the US sadly) which is a awesome feature if you're hunting out west or in and around coulees . They also have really high quality maps.and you can zoom right down to the ground and it's still very clear. I hope I hunter can eventually pick up some of these features.
Absolutely! I never ment to sound like I'm endorsing the OnX as the 1st reply seemed to suggest. I just want their features. I wouldn't think it would be a hard map overlay to add stuff. The map just needs to be available and the app needs to accept the file. I'd be up for a yearly fee to have those options. Definitely!
Old 01-30-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Absolutely! I never ment to sound like I'm endorsing the OnX as the 1st reply seemed to suggest. I just want their features. I wouldn't think it would be a hard map overlay to add stuff. The map just needs to be available and the app needs to accept the file. I'd be up for a yearly fee to have those options. Definitely!
Yeah I'd be up for a yearly fee to for some added featured and overlays! I find a hard time trying to find a map that is up to date for areas that I hunt. I usually run the Argics but I find its outdated now
Old 02-15-2020, 10:09 PM

Hey all, what features does OnX have that iHunter does not? iHunter allows you to add unlimited number of base maps, map layers, etc with the Pro Tools. You can add burns, add topo on top of satellite, etc. You cannot switch into 3d mode, but I can't think of anything else that OnX has feature-wise that isn't available in iHunter. Please educate me!
Old 02-16-2020, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
Hey all, what features does OnX have that iHunter does not? iHunter allows you to add unlimited number of base maps, map layers, etc with the Pro Tools. You can add burns, add topo on top of satellite, etc. You cannot switch into 3d mode, but I can't think of anything else that OnX has feature-wise that isn't available in iHunter. Please educate me!
Adding burns is a huge feature tho when it comes to big game hunting
Old 02-24-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
For me it's the burns overlay and the topo overlay. Would be so nice if Ihunter had that option. If there is a way to do that on ihunter, please teach!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 PM

I keep hoping that they’ll buy iHunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2020, 08:16 AM

Ihunter does the trick, onX just takes it to a new level. I guess time will tell if the market in AB is big enough for onX to want to come in.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:09 PM

I hunter updates are an improvement, onyx is a step up, hopefully iHunter keeps developing more.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:33 PM

I’d like to try OnX but like iHunter as well. Additional features are okay, except with one of my older iPhones the updates and extra features became unreliable and burned battery time out in the bush, so I was missing the earlier simplified version. At the end of the day, just need to know where I am, where I was and where the good spots are!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:47 PM

On X might be great, but I'm very happy with iHunter and especially like supporting an Alberta company.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:30 AM

Default Onx

So does i hunter work on phones when in airplane mode?
Old 03-10-2022, 04:14 AM

As a GPS that is
Old 03-10-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
We have figured out how to over lay the topo with IHunter. Any chance you could share how you did the burns? Or even where you found the burn data to overlay?

Thanks
Hilgy

By the way the iHunter guys are always quick to provide help if you’re stuck trying to figure out how to do this stuff.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:51 AM

i have I hunter, this one works for me, tap see which WMU you are in, does Onx do this also, with WMU
Old 03-10-2022, 08:12 AM

I really like OnX, and use it in combination with other apps to get different perspectives on the areas that I hunt.

I have reached out to them a few times regarding Alberta data, even offering to assist where I can. Crickets.

iHunter is my go-to, though.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:29 AM

I have I hunter because when I looked into onx it was only a map. But the app interface at the time made I hunter look old as it gets.

I like I hunter but if onx gives me a smoother and more reliable experience I’ll make the switch eventually
Old 03-14-2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameusK View Post
So does i hunter work on phones when in airplane mode?
Hi JameusK,
It certainly does work in airplane mode. You just have to cache your map area layer(s) first and you're good. I do airplane as it saves on battery.

- WeaselBeard
Old 03-14-2022, 06:25 AM

How much does it cost?
Old 03-14-2022, 07:40 AM
Banned

Ihunter is good. I usually don't like paying for app but the app is worth it.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:48 AM

Ihunter has a burn layer. Just have to enable it thru the layers tab. It was added last year if I recall/.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:57 AM

When I'm e-scouting, I use a combination of OnX, iHunter and Back Roads Map Books. Depending on the area, the variations in the satellite and topo maps are helpful, and sometimes are more up-to-date than Apple or Google maps.