Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 05:07 PM

Default Spot and stalk shoes/socks/pads?

I’ve been spot and stalk bow hunting for 20 years... the last 15 years in SE Alberta where cactus and spines are to be expected. I’ve found gear or experience has helped me with every single aspect of a spot and stalk hunt, EXCEPT the last hundred yards or so. I’ve been searching and looking for something that’ll protect my feet from cactus and thorns, yet let me feel every bit of the ground, and not snap branches underneath.
Right now i just use the thickets socks i can find. It helps a bit, but thorns and cactus go through.
I’ve tried those pad things that attach to the bottom of boots, and those aren’t great. Especially if there’s any bit of precipitation, frost or dew.

These “protection socks” are interesting to me. Made of Kevlar - and while I’m sure they’re not gonna stop cactus, i would hope they’d stop thorns and maybe “resist” cactus.
https://hiconsumption.com/swiss-protection-socks/

Anyone have any better ideas?
Old 01-19-2020, 05:30 PM

Wet shoes perhaps? I made myself a pair of moccasins for stalking. They work good but I messed up and got them a bit tight
Old 01-19-2020, 05:46 PM

There’s an African (or is is Australian ) tribe that uses kind of a mop attached to their feet. In Africa I used some plain old mop heats turned upside down and attached to my feet with straps. They were surprisingly quiet.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:47 PM

Like this. Strap them on with the mopping part towards the ground

http://ancdn-0-9.shopletcdn.com/prod...500/187352.JPG
Old 01-19-2020, 06:00 PM

Leather moccasins. Have the sole made of moose. Deer or elk upper is fine. I put a couple felt pads for rubber boots in mine as a bit of added cushion. I just run slip on footwear until I’m about to enter the bubble and then toss on the moccasins. Only takes a minute or two.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Like this. Strap them on with the mopping part towards the ground

http://ancdn-0-9.shopletcdn.com/prod...500/187352.JPG
I’m sure those are quiet - but would they hold up to cactus and rose spines?

It’s a bit of an oxymoron - but I’m looking for something soft enough to be quiet, yet tough enough to protect my feet. Or at least the best balance between the two.
I’ve looked into moccasins, but the best ones I’ve seen are super pricey.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I’m sure those are quiet - but would they hold up to cactus and rose spines?

It’s a bit of an oxymoron - but I’m looking for something soft enough to be quiet, yet tough enough to protect my feet. Or at least the best balance between the two.
I’ve looked into moccasins, but the best ones I’ve seen are super pricey.
You just strap them over some running shoes, cactus shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:54 PM

https://youtu.be/XdQrhkjIjiw

These rimrok stalkers have peaked my interest. They seem like a decent option, thicker than a sock but not as clumsy as a shoe. If you were to purchase a set I would definitely be interested to hear your opinion and an honest review.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2020, 09:39 PM

Default Stalking footwear

Keep it simple, I know it’s not the latest hunting fashion but keep it simple and go buy a pair of comfortable running shoes. You will anchor yourself better wearing a shoe compared to going barefoot or similar.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 AM

Comfy, thin running shoes and cover them in a wool sock for that last 100 yds.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
https://youtu.be/XdQrhkjIjiw

These rimrok stalkers have peaked my interest. They seem like a decent option, thicker than a sock but not as clumsy as a shoe. If you were to purchase a set I would definitely be interested to hear your opinion and an honest review.

I’d be pulling a wool sock over top of those that material looks noisy.

LC
Old 01-20-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I’d be pulling a wool sock over top of those that material looks noisy.

LC
Yeah that is my concern too. That's why I don't own a pair. I don't like buying things online because you don't know for sure what the material is like. I've also thought of trying the finger toe shoes. There is lots of options out there, but I am current just using a lightweight sneaker.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:35 AM

I good pair of moose hid moccasins I use for years ,when it got colder I just used my felts out of my boots.

I bought a pair of military boots took the wool liners out and a women sewed me two pieces of moose hid around the bottoms up a few inchs on each side and water proofed the hid and I used them for many stalks ,I could wear a good sock or a light in sole with a slight arch to enable my feet to last .

I even wore them in my younger days for snow showing in late fall hunts if the snow was deep,as long as it is cold out your feet stay very dry.

Cheers

JD

Last edited by JD848; 01-20-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
Yeah that is my concern too. That's why I don't own a pair. I don't like buying things online because you don't know for sure what the material is like. I've also thought of trying the finger toe shoes. There is lots of options out there, but I am current just using a lightweight sneaker.

The problem with isolating the toes individually is they could be more exposed to sprains or breaking. Toes would get cold quicker too.

Some of the rubber soled shoes for river running might work good.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-22-2020, 08:48 AM

Thin wool sock, reef/snorkel shoes, medium wool sock on the outside.

Really, really quiet. I haven’t tested them against cactus but the rubber bottom of the shoes is enough to stop coral (and rose bush/pine needles) yet thin enough to feel through. Much quieter than running shoes

But ya they are slippery, especially on hills. I’ve yet to find a perfect solution