Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 02:29 PM

Default intro to sheep hunting

where I’m at:

I have been hunting big game for the last three years. Self taught through this forum YouTube podcasts and other internet resources. I have successfully harvested 2 deer and have been infatuated with sheep hunting since I started.

I have done a couple hikes in the kananaskis area scouting for sheep and have seen signs but that’s about it.

My gear:

Sako A7 270 win
Vortex viper 10x42
KUIU icon pro 5200 pack
Irish setter boots
Kryptek cadog pants
soft shell cabellas jacket
Marino base layers t shirt long sleeve shirt
needless to say it all gets me by but I’m not decked out in Sitka or KUIU gear.
also I’m 6 foot 5 size 14-15 shoe so most of that stuff doesn’t fit me anyway.

I have a 2k budget and want to spend it the most effective way I can.

I have researched at length my overnight gear and multi day equipment

The question:

should I buy all the multi day gear (tent, bag, pad, cook stove, water filtration system.... etc)

Or

Start buying all the high end clothing, spotting scope and tripod I can afford and limit myself to single day trips?

I don’t really want to spend years saving for all the bells and whistles and miss out on my prime years where my body is in great shape for hiking.

thanks for the read and hope I have included enough detail regarding my situation.

Also if you are in the Calgary area and want to take on an apprentice sheep hunter who is willing to leave the rifle behind in trade for an eduation let me know.

any and all CONSTRUCTIVE advice from sheep hunters is welcome.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:35 PM

I dont have a ton of sheep hunting experience but i would say you should invest in the overnight gear, Quality sleeping bag, tent and cook stove. water filtration is pretty inexpensive with tabs and they weigh less than a filtration system. If i could go back i wouldnt bother with a filter. never used it on my hunt last year at all and it adds weight.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:36 PM

My opinion would be to invest what you can in overnight gear. IMO sheep are more difficult to hunt on a day trip because of the extra miles and elevation.
I'm sure you will get differing opinions on this topic lol.

Good Luck with sheep hunting.......it is way better for you than meth but just as addictive!!!
Old 01-27-2020, 03:29 PM

No question in my books, get out there and stay out there. More time on the mountains will result in more encounters with sheep. You can get everything you need for well under 2k. But I would suggest purchasing a decent sleeping pad and bag at least.

In terms of the high end gear, yes it's enjoyable to use, but no, it's not required to kill sheep.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:37 PM

Sheep = boat. If that doesn't make sense stick to deer.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Sheep hunting is terrible so just stop now.

Joking aside you need to have the bare essentials to be out in the wilderness. Don't go with high end clothing that will kill you off the bat. Get everything you need and upgrade from there. The biggest weight savings you will find where dollars are well spent:

Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain gear,

and … You If your going solo a spotter is a must. To keep weight down consider something in the 50mm obj class.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Exactly!

OP I spent around $6K last year gearing up. Buy once, cry once. I am super happy with my set up, although it needs very minor tweaking. Don't settle for sub-par gear that you will regret. Take it slowly and knock things off your list with quality items. There are many sheep gear lists on this forum that can help you.

Not having overnight gear can put you into a survival situation very quickly. I would start there
Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Come on, if you're intelligent in any way, Sheep Hunting is no worse than any other species. But, I guess if you weren't you could sped a fortune real quick. None of the old timers had all that fancy Brand name gear , didn't hamper them.

Grizz
Old 01-27-2020, 09:14 PM

Default intro to sheep hunting

I would do a combo of both. And Im not sure what you mean by “high end gear” just buy good quality gear regardless of its cammo or not. The advantage of your size is you’ll be able to get pick of the sales racks, there is plenty both on line and in stores.

I’d consider

Lightweight tarp - 60
Ground sheet - 40
Cord/pegs - 20
Pad - 150
Bag - 150-400 depends on what temp you want.

So that puts you at 500 -600 bucks

Check out these stoves ...... dirt cheap and work wicked.

Reehut (2 PC) Ultralight Portable Camp Stoves for Camping, Outdoor, Backpacking & Hiking (Orange) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M8O39TN/..._sc7lEbXE9W255

From there but an entry level spotter and some additional gear.

For 2 k you should have no trouble getting rigged up with the basics for multi day hunts and a spotter.

Then be ready to walk lots carrying your gun because unless you beat the odds you’ll be at it 6-9 yrs before you get a shot.

Enjoy
Old 01-28-2020, 12:25 AM

Ist thing I would get would be some good optics.......
Old 01-28-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Come on, if you're intelligent in any way, Sheep Hunting is no worse than any other species. But, I guess if you weren't you could sped a fortune real quick. None of the old timers had all that fancy Brand name gear , didn't hamper them.

Grizz
I am one of those old timers .
Back then less was better but we could ATV to any bass or up any drainage .
So a few snacks in the pocket and up the hill you would go ,no back pack nothing.
But times have changed. A lot more hunters . Need to hike in now and fallow the sheep for a week before sheep even opens and drop one when the sun comes up opening day. I have seen a few hammock tree tents on the market ,that would be ideal if they where light.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I am one of those old timers .
Back then less was better but we could ATV to any bass or up any drainage .
So a few snacks in the pocket and up the hill you would go ,no back pack nothing.
But times have changed. A lot more hunters . Need to hike in now and fallow the sheep for a week before sheep even opens and drop one when the sun comes up opening day. I have seen a few hammock tree tents on the market ,that would be ideal if they where light.
2x...
Old 01-28-2020, 07:30 AM

You have to decide what's most important to you. Are you going to spend $2,000 on overnight and multi-day trip items and then never go on an over night trip? If you are going to go on multi-day trips then you'll need a spotting scope.

Find a friend if you can and split up the items. One of you buy a spotter, one buy a tent, etc. Or see if you can borrow any of these items from friends when you go out.

Anything you decide will be a great addition to your gear. My biggest recommendation - buy the best you can afford. Nothing is worse than going cheap and then having to replace things every year or two.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Grizz
Ya right. So the old timers didn’t buy the best gear available to them? Did they walk up hill both ways when they packed the sheep out too?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:12 AM

best advise I ever heard was if you want to kill a sheep you need to hunt sheep only. forget about archery mule deer in the prairies, forget about that wt buck down the road, forget about the herd of elk in your spot. Just hunt sheep as much as you can by putting yourself in good sheep habitat for sept and oct and wear out your boots and glass and you will kill a sheep.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
best advise I ever heard was if you want to kill a sheep you need to hunt sheep only. forget about archery mule deer in the prairies, forget about that wt buck down the road, forget about the herd of elk in your spot. Just hunt sheep as much as you can by putting yourself in good sheep habitat for sept and oct and wear out your boots and glass and you will kill a sheep.
This is the best advice!
Old 01-28-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
Couldn’t be said any better.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:41 AM

Some really great advice guys!! Thanks for all the input. I’ll definitely be putting my money toward the overnight gear and spending as much time as I can up in the hills. I know it’s not a small commitment or an easy task but I can’t think of a more epic hunting experience or a more majestic animal to chase. I’ll also be upgrading to a better pair of boots ASAP.
Once again thanks for all the constructive advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Grizz
The old timers were able to kill any size ram. Sorry, we have to go further, longer, harder these days. I have hunting gear and then I have lightweight gear.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:02 PM

Yeah this is what I’ve found. Things are a lot different than they were in the old days. The last 5 years I took up sheep hunting in Alberta came mostly in the company of some old timers who have offered some of the most memorable and rich experiences that I could have ever dreamed of. But they came at the expense I believe of hunting like it was still 40 years ago. Lots of time in the saddle that might have been more productive with boots in the ground and some of that ultralight equipment that we’re talking about. Still got to see some great places and some incredible moments with horses. But I do wonder. Anyways, either way regardless of what you wear, spending time in the mountains is second to none. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 PM

Default Might save some $

Buy used field gear. Im not a sheep hunter but lots of stuff for sale for way less than retail. Save of for optics, gas, maps and those gross dehydrated food bags. Get out there. You will learn what you need to have. With those big long legs you can gain some elevation. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:05 AM

The high end glass is nice and can save alot of footwork but I would personally go for the stuff that will keep you on the mountain first!
Old 01-29-2020, 02:17 PM

Lots of great info here

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=sheep+gear
Old 01-29-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Ya right. So the old timers didn’t buy the best gear available to them? Did they walk up hill both ways when they packed the sheep out too?
Actually, not so many manufacturers marketing "indispensable" stuff to the gullible. Not sheep hunting, but you get my point.

Grizz
Old 01-29-2020, 08:41 PM

Stop focusing on how much to spend on your gear and spend it on finding out where the sheep are and how to hunt them.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, not so many manufacturers marketing "indispensable" stuff to the gullible. Not sheep hunting, but you get my point.

Grizz
Haha Ya it had nothing to do with piles of games, generous bag limits or “modern technology”. Wait a minute, is that a scope on his gun? I coulda sworn they killed their game with a Bowie knife!
But I digress
Old 01-29-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Haha Ya it had nothing to do with piles of games, generous bag limits or “modern technology”. Wait a minute, is that a scope on his gun? I coulda sworn they killed their game with a Bowie knife!
But I digress
And that rifle (not a gun) was probably 10lbs. and the canvas pack was just as heavy. I still have those heavy old things kickin around. Then don't forget the old wool pants when wet were just as heavy again, oh and don't forget the old heavy metal spotter with in interchangeable eye pieces and the big binos. What exactly do you mean about generous bag limits. I say it's the good old days of sheep right now!
Old 01-29-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
And that rifle (not a gun) was probably 10lbs. and the canvas pack was just as heavy. I still have those heavy old things kickin around. Then don't forget the old wool pants when wet were just as heavy again, oh and don't forget the old heavy metal spotter with in interchangeable eye pieces and the big binos. What exactly do you mean about generous bag limits. I say it's the good old days of sheep right now!
You missed the point.
All those things you rattled off were modern tech for that day. They used the best gear available including gadgets and bells and whistles. Why mock our generation for doing the EXACT same thing? Generous bag limits was referring to game in general (obviously). Sheep opportunity is indeed amazing right now.
Sorry for the detail OP. I guess it somewhat applies though.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Haha. Good one.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:16 PM

You could kill a lot of your budget (or all and then some) on a good spotter and that will go the longest way on making you more efficient out there. You are looking for your first legal ram. Knowing if it's worth putting that long hike in or not for that band of rams you find with the binos is really important.

If you spend even a dime on the "high end" clothing before a good spotter you've done it wrong off the get go. There is nice to haves and need to haves. A good spotter is a need to have. You can get buy with less than top end gear for the overnight stuff. I run a cheap North face tent, pocket rocket stove, neo air sleeping pad and for years had a cheap synthetic north face sleeping bag that was bulky but made do. Went with a Taiga works down bag this year and will admit it's really nice for the packability but a nice to have.

In the end the most important thing to have is the drive to do it, a lot of it is mental.

Tags
sheep hunting