Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 AM

I am having pretty good results with Varget. Much more consistent then the 4350.

I am debating on going to a 140 ballistic tip and Accubond combo. I assume the two bullets are more or less interchangeable (same POI)?

I would use Partitions but they are hard to find in 140-7mm in Edmonton.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 AM

The first question that needs to be asked is do you need to free float your barrel and bed the action.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
The 7-08 is a very effective caliber. A med sized cartridge with a huge potential in the hands of a seasoned hand loader. I built one with a longer throat using a Wyatt extender on a SA Rem 700 action with a 24" long Lilja #2 barrel and B&C stock that weighs 7 lbs scoped and have succesfully launched the 150 LRAB at 2,900 fps in to 1/2 MOA using H4350 and Lapua cases with no pressure. That is 280 Rem performance in this short case.
The 7mm08 was stuck in a Remington SA and 140/145 bullets developed to fit it for hunting and the Silhouette crowd who made it possible. However when the longer/ tipped bullets came out they had to be pushed down in the case to fit Saami OAL of 2.8". However the Sami specked neck, throat and freebore were the same as the 7mm Rem Mag which allowed them to be seated out to the lands and fit perfectly in the 3.6 OAL magazine.

I totally agree that the Saami speced 7mm08 is a very well designed and effective cartridge for the modern day bullets seated to the lands in a Medium Length Action of about 3.25". The part about your post that is confusing is that you had one made with a longer throat. Actually this is not necessary as the 150 LRAB fits perfectly in a Saami Speced chamber as this drawing shows.
[IMG][/IMG]

The 162 A-Max fits perfectly as well and I was able to get it to 2777 fps with H 4350, in Remington Neck Sized brass, and into under 1/2 MOA as well as the following shows:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]