Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

Default Trail cameras and trapping

Hey guys, do any of you ever set up trail cameras at your snares or other sets?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Been trying to get a marten getting caught on video for two years. My Leopold cameras shut down 3 separate catches and never got one on video. I'm switching to a moultree to try this year.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 PM

Been thinkin bout it all summer , gonna set out the moultrie tomorrow on a coyote snare .
Old 12-01-2014, 09:56 PM

How many of you guys run your cameras at bait stations? Do you get any valuable info if you do? I am thinking about trying it out.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:33 PM

I shy away from camera use during trapping season.

I feel it puts the animals on alert when they either see a flash or hear a click. Last thing I want is them on high alert when going near my snares.

I'd put some up, as long as its not near snares or bait.

For coyote and wolf anyways
Old 12-01-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I shy away from camera use during trapping season.

I feel it puts the animals on alert when they either see a flash or hear a click. Last thing I want is them on high alert when going near my snares.

I'd put some up, as long as its not near snares or bait.

For coyote and wolf anyways
Thanks bush monkey. You answered my question.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Banned

I set up a trail cam at a bait station last year. I got a gazillion pictures of magpies and crows (lol) and a bull moose that had shed his antlers. I did manage to get pictures of coyotes and the best picture had a big dog at the bait and 2 sets of eyes hanging back in the bush a bit. You can glean info from the pictures wrt how many dogs are visiting at the same time, and maybe their approximate size and time that they showed up, but to me it wasn't really critical info.

My digital cam is IR so it doesn't flash and it doesn't seem to spook the coyotes at all so I might just have to set it on video in front of a snare. I think that there may be value in seeing that from a learning experience, whether it is a rejection or not.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I feel it puts the animals on alert when they either see a flash or hear a click.
The new digital infrared ones don't click or flash, at least mine doesn't.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Gone Hunting

I've been wondering about what one would see if they set a camera at a set.

I'd do it if I were still trapping, What would it hurt, even if it put the animal on alert, it's one or two sets, not every set. And I doubt it would put the animal on alert anyway.

I done a bit of wondering around at night with a flashlight. Those experiences suggest that light does not alert an animal under any circumstance.

I walked right up to a Coyote one time, close enough to kick it, kinda spooked me but didn't seem to alarm the Coyote one bit till I shouted at it and I was walking on gravel, it had to hear me coming but it didn't seem to register that there was anything amiss till I shouted. Actually it was more of a Rebel yell, That got things going. Wish I had a video, it would have been a winner on AFHV.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Banned

I'll have to look for the pictures that I took last year, I may have posted some in this section, I'm not sure. The coyotes can't see the infrared light and I had multiple pictures of the same coyote so I don't think that my cam spooks them at all.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Banned

Default Coyote cam

I must have gotten at least 50 pics of coyotes on my cams this year, in the daytime and at night. Coyotes never seemed to be spooked by the cam whether with flash or infrared. Think it would be educational to have a cam capture the approach and snaring of a coyote in video mode. This was my favorite pic of a coyote. Would have been nice if he was facing cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyote cam.jpg (72.4 KB, 116 views)
Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Banned

Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Banned

I'm more interested in videos. Power snare sets and lynx cubbies would be neat.
I think there could be some value in them. Though it could also be bad for the trapping community if the videos were used in the wrong way.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
I'm more interested in videos. Power snare sets and lynx cubbies would be neat.
I think there could be some value in them. Though it could also be bad for the trapping community if the videos were used in the wrong way.
I think it would only be bad if it showed a foul catch, if the trap worked correctly it would be evidence of how quickly and effectively today's traps kill.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I think it would only be bad if it showed a foul catch, if the trap worked correctly it would be evidence of how quickly and effectively today's traps kill.
Yup that's what I was thinking.

I saw one video of a power snare. Coyote was dead in seconds! That's what really made me want to see some videos.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:51 PM

I have been using game cameras for years. I build my own. I would think in about 80% of my coyote pictures they have detected the camera and are looking at it. They are hard to fool. In the winter I see a lot of tracks close to the cameras but they sure try to avoid them. I fastened a moose hide to a tree one fall for a coyote lure for pictures. I put 3 cameras in various locations around it. It was a real eye opener to see how they would detect one camera and try to avoid it but be caught by another.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Gone Hunting

Okay, time for some shameless promotion.

I believe my camera mounts would be perfect for this! LOL

No I'm not selling them yet. I am looking in to it though.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 PM

I trap in an area that has a wolf pack around.

I noticed when I put my camera's up and got a night picture of a wolf, most times the wolf would notice the camera and avoid that area for a bit.

An area with no camera's generally had the wolves moving through often and frequently.

These are all camera's placed on snowmobile tracks.

Coyotes still noticed the camera's at night, but didn't seem to affect their movement in the area.

I had a bunch of wolves run a feild edge and stop at my camera and make a hell of a mess of tracks infront of the camera, clearly they saw it and freaked out. They turned and went back out the way they came. The wouldn't go past the camera based on the tracks. No pictures as camera shut down in the cold.

Day time picutres aren't noticed I find.

My camera's are IR lights too, but they still have a red glow I can see. And I know they see it too.

I have a camera or 2 that "click". And another that doens't make a sound. I can't honestly say which ones where at spots where the wolves noticed and didn't like.

Anyways, I took them all down for trapping season. Anything to up my odd's of catching a wolf or two is worth it to me.