Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-07-2014, 05:11 PM

Default Open country snaring

My first attemts at setting coyote snares in open country .Set up on trails coming into my bait . I camoed up the next 6 a little better than these first 2 by putting a piece of fine sage to cover kill spring and support wire , but am I on the right track ? Any tips from guys snaring here in the wide open is appreciated .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4142.jpg (63.7 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4143.jpg (73.7 KB, 489 views)
Old 12-07-2014, 05:31 PM

looks good. seems you want the support wire on the up wind side of the trail, if possible. high winds will blow the snare around. can't tell from you pic which way it would blow. and the camo should be down in the ground. not the snow, as it will all so blow away.

kill poles are helpfull if theres nothing to tangle up in.

some type of marker? in case it snows 3' again.

it was a beautiful day out there today. snows going fast!

i'm just learning these open country tactics aswell. no trees,no anchor high,no winch cable, no problem. super fun!!
Old 12-07-2014, 05:41 PM

I used to use my quad to make tracks and then block off the one side. And I would turn a corner where I hung my snare so it would "disappear" in the background.

Also, I used a 10 ft. snare so they weren't pulling up so much on my anchor.

This was on a natural trail, not one I made.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:43 PM

I manageed to snare a few in the open last year. I can't check my snares at a whim, so when I got one, he drug the drag log quite a bit. I'd be interest in knowing how you guy's stake them down and do the stakes hold a big dog.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:53 PM

i'm using both rebar and super stakes. 24" pieice of rebar with a washer and nut welded on the top. for poles just a 40" piece of rebar. certainly can't use a drag around here.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:54 PM

I made these stakes, both to hole the snare support and act as an anchor. But you need to make sure the stake is frozen in and use a long snare. Its a 12" spike....

Old 12-07-2014, 06:01 PM

i think i'ld want something twice as long. sometimes in a cultivated field. one 24"rebar stake isn't enough as its too soft. then you can double(cross) them.

set for a mouse, anchor for an elephant. wise trapper once said.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:22 PM

Thanx for the tips guys , yes I'm using 2 ft of rebar as a stake , 6ft snares with a 6ft extension . Good idea to setup with support wire on upwind side , thinking back I got half of them right ..lol ..This is all native pasture and I tried to pull a stake and couldn't budge it .I punched holes in the ground with a 12 inch spike and stuffed buckbrush intro the holes to fence . Can hardly wait to go back and check , lots of activity there , just wish the snow would stay and remain a little colder . Like you said Braggadoe , certainly nothing to entangle .
Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 PM

I noticed the coyotes using my truck tracks as an easy access trail to my baits....maybe some "open country" sets are needed!

LC
Old 12-07-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I noticed the coyotes using my truck tracks as an easy access trail to my baits....maybe some "open country" sets are needed!

LC
Gonna do some of those when I get some more snow , maybe set both tracks , staggered like 20 yds apart . You and Bushmaster think alike ..
Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 PM

How did you guy's pound those in?

I have a pile of places I'd do those sets in.

Would it hold a wolf? I have lots that follow my sled tracks, but its tough to guide them close to a tree that has grass to blend the snare in.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I used to use my quad to make tracks and then block off the one side. And I would turn a corner where I hung my snare so it would "disappear" in the background.

Also, I used a 10 ft. snare so they weren't pulling up so much on my anchor.

This was on a natural trail, not one I made.

Looks good. I see he did a few turns on the one little bush on the left side. At least he s off the trail and didn't tear anything up. Is that's tour reset after your catch or before
Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 PM

Before.....I made the set one day and that's what I found the next.
He's actually coming towards a bait that is at my back as I took the picture.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Gonna do some of those when I get some more snow , maybe set both tracks , staggered like 20 yds apart . You and Bushmaster think alike ..
I had good luck with setting in my truck tracks earlier in the season. I set one in each track about ten yards apart in an open area. Next check I had a double. I also drove along a bush and set on the inside track, next check two more. These sets have been dry since. I wonder if I caught the dumb ones right away?

Now I've been catching them deeper in the bush where there is more cover at this particular bait.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:49 PM

I think they've been chased, shot at by every deer hunter out there, so they are a little shy right now......
Old 12-08-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I think they've been chased, shot at by every deer hunter out there, so they are a little shy right now......
So true , but I have an isolated area that sees little pressure now . The dogs have the snowed packed down for 20 yds in all directions from the bait .Maybe I should set a foot leg holds , but will have a hard time to check every day . Ground is still soft enough I can drive the rebar in , but gonna need a chain and crowbar when I decide to pull em , might be a spring time job ..lol .
Old 12-08-2014, 06:01 AM

with the nut/washer welded on the top. you can just spin them out with vise grips. no matter how frozen the ground.

the super stakes, with the extra cable. are tougher to pull out of frozen ground. but do able with some sort of lever.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 AM

Thanx braggadoe , I'll try the vise grip trick . I've got some of those hollow anchors but haven't used em yet .
Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Looks like it's gonna work . Maybe I just got lucky but this beauty was in the setup pictured at the first of the thread , 2 days after setting . No real disturbance to the area and coulda reset right there but I pulled it and moved the new snare 50 ft farther away from the bait . 2 other sets knocked down , reset them and hoping the offender will return ..lol . If you had told me 5 years ago that a person could catch coyotes in a snare on the prairie I would called you a liar , now I'm a believer ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4147.jpg (87.5 KB, 291 views)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 PM

thats a great catch picture!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:18 PM

Another good one congratz bud
Old 12-09-2014, 07:45 PM

Great catch!!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 PM

My snare steaks have a #9 wire welded to them for the snare support. Just my 2¢. And great catch by the way look like a good sized yote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Just reading thru one off my snaring books and quote: Vernon Hopkins said it best, due to a coyote-research proven to exert 300 pounds of stress when hitting the end of 10 feet, that we never will have a break away that is 100% on livestock and big game without having a coyote break out. Preclude one you preclude the other.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:21 PM

Your set up looks good and nice catch. Your anchoring system is doing the job. The fellow that taught me to snare years ago used to snare in open country alot. He used a different type of achoring system, he would have 8 to 10 ft poplar logs approx 8 inches in diameter (they were heavy) he would lay them off to the side of the trail in a spot were the trail went into some taller grass or bruckbrush, cattle trails worked really good. He would use them as anchors with a 6ft snare, and would tie the support wire and snare to the log. It worked very well and he would even set on the tire tracks to the bait on occasion. The coyote would catch up and pull off usually 20 to 30 meters or less and expire. I do not use this method but it worked none the less! the deeper the snow the better. It was somewhat time consuming but he would use the logs over and over.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Ram Power Snares! I have caught wolves and coyotes in the middle of fields and along marshes. Also consider a drag set. I have also caught coyotes and wolves along grassy creeks/ open areas using that technique.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Your set up looks good and nice catch. Your anchoring system is doing the job. The fellow that taught me to snare years ago used to snare in open country alot. He used a different type of achoring system, he would have 8 to 10 ft poplar logs approx 8 inches in diameter (they were heavy) he would lay them off to the side of the trail in a spot were the trail went into some taller grass or bruckbrush, cattle trails worked really good. He would use them as anchors with a 6ft snare, and would tie the support wire and snare to the log. It worked very well and he would even set on the tire tracks to the bait on occasion. The coyote would catch up and pull off usually 20 to 30 meters or less and expire. I do not use this method but it worked none the less! the deeper the snow the better. It was somewhat time consuming but he would use the logs over and over.
Thanx for the advice ,I like the idea of the ctach not disturbing the area so I can reset it . Caught another dog ,but this one had a bad case of mange , windy here today ,I'm sure some of the sets will be drifted over tonite , have to readjust tomorrow .
Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffw12 View Post
Ram Power Snares! I have caught wolves and coyotes in the middle of fields and along marshes. Also consider a drag set. I have also caught coyotes and wolves along grassy creeks/ open areas using that technique.
Could you post a pick on how to use a power snare in open country. I experimented with it but I found my snares not able to be high enough. Do you let the small loop sit about 5oclock if the ram is on your right?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Could you post a pick on how to use a power snare in open country. I experimented with it but I found my snares not able to be high enough. Do you let the small loop sit about 5oclock if the ram is on your right?
I seen some triggers. Your snare is attached to the trigger and your trigger to the ram and thru the ram. They make your snare come out higher then the ram. I think a person can build his own to the desired height http://
Old 12-22-2014, 02:11 PM

great when they just fall right over.