Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Bringing gun back from states

I know I need to fill out the ATF form to take a gun into the states but what do I need to do in order to get it back into Canada? I'll be driving down if that makes a difference.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM

Somebody with a lot more experience than me will chime in I'm sure, but my understanding is that you cannot do this. Has to be transferred from a license dealer.

I believe it's illegal to even purchase a gun in the US unless you are a US citizen in the state which you purchased the gun from.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
I know I need to fill out the ATF form to take a gun into the states but what do I need to do in order to get it back into Canada? I'll be driving down if that makes a difference.
You can ask here and get a whole bunch of different answers, or you can contact the RCMP and get the straight goods.

It's your choice.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Bringing the same gun back into Canada the CBS will ask what you were doing, what you brought back and to see your PAL. If you are hunting, there is certain game that has to be cleared by US Customs before coming into Canada.

On the way back a couple of times, I have been stopped by US Border Security before reaching the Canadian side and they have asked if I had purchased ammunition and to see the ATF form.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Nothing really. I would take your PAL and I think I got checked for that once but can't remember.
I will let you know next week. Leaving Sunday for a hunt in Texas for a sheep
Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Somebody with a lot more experience than me will chime in I'm sure, but my understanding is that you cannot do this. Has to be transferred from a license dealer.

I believe it's illegal to even purchase a gun in the US unless you are a US citizen in the state which you purchased the gun from.
He is talking about taking his firearm into the USA, and then bringing the same firearm back to Canada, which is perfectly legal.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Nothing really. I would take your PAL and I think I got checked for that once but can't remember.
I will let you know next week. Leaving Sunday for a hunt in Texas for a sheep
Awesome please do let me know. We are heading down turkey hunting.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Awesome please do let me know. We are heading down turkey hunting.
Turkey hunting trips were the ones I was questioned on at the US side if I had bought any extra ammunition to bring back. No issues on with CBS - just showed my PAL. Were not interested in the birds.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
He is talking about taking his firearm into the USA, and then bringing the same firearm back to Canada, which is perfectly legal.

My bad, I completely misread the post. I thought he was asking about buying a gun in the US.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post

Not completely true. A US resident can purchase a long gun in any state despite the state they live in through private sales, online or an FFL. Handguns can only be purchased in your home state. The exception to that would be 1, private sale which technically may be illegal, 2, you buy it online, through a dealer or private sale and have it transferred to an FFL in your home state where you do the paperwork which in reality makes the sale in your home state. I've purchased privately, online and through FFL's, never had an issue yet.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:02 AM

I just hunted Mississippi and Texas from mid January till the end of January. Filled out my ATF 6N1A and had my valid hunting license. I flew down and drove back with a friend. No one at the airport or U.S. customs looked at my guns or paperwork. Same thing when returning to Canada; no one looked at anything! I still can't believe it. I think it may be easier to fly with guns than to drive. No stopping at a port and having officers verify what you got.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 AM

Default travalling to the states

you need your form 6 and you should declare you are travelling with firearms csa locks can help your border crossing go smoothly and proof of why you need firearms (hunting licencse entry form to trap event etc) good luck
Old 02-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Bringing a gun back into Canada

You need proof that the gun originated in Canada. Since the registration is long gone this is what you need to do. Stop on the Canadian side and tell them you have articles you would like to identify for temporary exportation. They will record a description and serial number on a form BSF407 formally form Y38 and stamp it. It is proof that the firearm originated in Canada. People will tell you all you need is a form 6nia but that is American paperwork and we have showed that to Canadian customs and they asked for our Canadian paperwork
Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 AM

Default Bringing guns back into canada

I take long guns into the US several times a year, and have done this for a number of years.
On my way back, I show Canada customs my US Form 6 and they have always have accepted it without question. Rarely, do they ask to see the guns.
It does seem odd to show Canada customs a US form, but they have always accepted it.
I don't like to stop at Canada customs before crossing into the US---particularly at the larger crossings---there are often signs saying DO NOT STOP so I don't.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:11 AM

On the ATF form, it asks for you to attach a copy of the hunting license for the state youre going to. What if you cant buy your license online and have to buy it when you get down there?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:18 PM

Buy a Montana conservation license it allows you to recreat on BLM land
Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 PM

Default Atf

Think you are using an old form. You no longer need a US hunting licence when making your application.
However, it's a good idea to have a hunting licence when you cross into the US as they want to know why you want to take guns to the US.

Quote:
On the ATF form, it asks for you to attach a copy of the hunting license for the state youre going to. What if you cant buy your license online and have to buy it when you get down there?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
Think you are using an old form. You no longer need a US hunting licence when making your application.
However, it's a good idea to have a hunting licence when you cross into the US as they want to know why you want to take guns to the US.
Can you point me in the right direction then? I thought it was ATF form 6N1A
Old 02-22-2018, 08:01 AM

Yes the ATF 6N1A is the form I used. Also if you are taking custom rifles down they require two photos of each gun. One full length and a close up of the action showing the serial number. You can call the ATF if you need help or have questions about the form. I did a couple times and they were very nice and helpful.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 AM

Default Form 6N1A

Hi, here is the best source of Form 6N1A that I have used: http://www.losttarget.com/form6.html There is more than enough information on here to make you an expert in the field. The actual form itself is in the "Quick Links" box on the right side of the first page. Also read "Completion Tips" from the "Quick Page Links" column listed on the right side of the first page. Email works well and the last two times I applied I had the approved Form 6N1A back to me in under 2 weeks. Good luck with everything!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Form 6

Suggest you have a look at The Lost Target website---they have a long discussion about taking guns into the US, and back---website is directed at target shooters taking their guns into the US for competitions but applies also for hunters---they do a good job of keeping their website active---a wealth of information there.
As suggested, you can always call the US authorities.

Quote:
Can you point me in the right direction then? I thought it was ATF form 6N1A
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 PM

I wasn't aware of this---maybe the authorities are concerned about getting repairs or alterations done while in the US.
Most of my rifles are re-barrelled and/or restocked so guess I better take pics before I leave. Pics would also confirm the scopes on the rifles.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Yes the ATF 6N1A is the form I used. Also if you are taking custom rifles down they require two photos of each gun. One full length and a close up of the action showing the serial number. You can call the ATF if you need help or have questions about the form. I did a couple times and they were very nice and helpful.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM

Yes when I called the ATF they said to send pictures of my guns. One is a full custom RBROS 6.5X47. Other is built off a 700 action. I was told both required a picture. As I posted earlier it didn't really matter, as no one looked at my paper work or my guns.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
You can ask here and get a whole bunch of different answers, or you can contact the RCMP and get the straight goods.

It's your choice.
That is funny on many levels.

-Billy Molls