Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Banned

Default Boat launching tips and info?

Hi guys,

As some of you know I have bought my first boat.

It will also be my first time launching a boat and well I was wondering if anyone has some tried and true tips for an absolute newbie.

I have watched a few videos on YouTube, which have been great but gathering some more info couldn't hurt.

Also I have watched a few Epic Fail boat launches videos and I wonder how it is that some can sink their trucks the way they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1IrkzabIg

Is there a series of missteps one can make for this to happen,
or is it merely bad luck trying to get the boat on the water?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Make sure you put your drain plug in before you launch the boat.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:15 PM

Only bit of info I can offer is before you head down the launch, make sure everything is done so all you do at the launch is back down, other person starts the boat backs the boat off and you drive up, nothing more annoying than when the boat is on trailer in water then people start unpacking gear inflatables etc.
This should all be done at the staging area of the launch.
happy boating, and enjoy fishing spots you could never get to before.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:26 PM

Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Only bit of info I can offer is before you head down the launch, make sure everything is done so all you do at the launch is back down, other person starts the boat backs the boat off and you drive up, nothing more annoying than when the boat is on trailer in water then people start unpacking gear inflatables etc.
This should all be done at the staging area of the launch.
happy boating, and enjoy fishing spots you could never get to before.
Amen brother, Amen.

Been to Maligne a few times, and I'm ready to launch but some guy is packing/unpacking his boat at the launch preventing anyone else from launching (narrow launch), I got po'd and carefully backed alongside him. He was eyeballin' me pretty good/givin me the evil eye, to make sure I didn't scratch his truck. I launched and was in/out and on the water fishing and he was still blocking the launch.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 PM

I would also practice backing up your trailer before attempting to launch. That is of course if you need practice backing up trailers. If you do, set out a couple pylons and pretend it's the launch.

As like other said, make sure you're ready before launching at the lake. Back straps off, plug in, gear etc set up, and have a spotter. Keep a rope tied on the front of your boat.

Practice will make perfect. And if you practice and don't tie up the launch and **** people off, it will be more enjoyable for everyone.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Amen brother, Amen.

Been to Maligne a few times, and I'm ready to launch but some guy is packing/unpacking his boat at the launch preventing anyone else from launching (narrow launch), I got po'd and carefully backed alongside him. He was eyeballin' me pretty good/givin me the evil eye, to make sure I didn't scratch his truck. I launched and was in/out and on the water fishing and he was still blocking the launch.
What type of boat was this you were launching ?

I thought it was electric motor only on Maligne Lake (Jasper NP) ?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
What type of boat was this you were launching ?

I thought it was electric motor only on Maligne Lake (Jasper NP) ?

I don't know about John_R1, but lots of us use large freighter canoes or aluminum boats that are trailered, and yes Maligne is electric motors only for civilians. It's a long, narrow, and steep boat ramp that can be quite a challenge for the inexperienced. People feel they need to do all of their packing and organizing right on the ramp at the waters edge. Also, people fishing off the dock at the ramp get all worked up when the boats are coming and going. Also not uncommon for tourist to drive down the ramp and park and get out for a look around. I've seen some pretty wild confrontations there over the years!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:16 PM

Don't forget to undo the tie down straps !
Old 05-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Don't get the trailer too deep when putting the boat back on. Most trailers I've used have been good when an inch or two of the fenders are showing. Experience will show you how deep it needs to be.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:58 PM

After I have the boat all ready to go and before I swing in line to back down the launch, I tie a 25 foot rope from the front of the boat to the post holding the winch on the trailer. As I am usually launching solo this allows me to back down the launch, have the boat float off the trailer and then I pull just far enough forward so I can get out of my truck and untie the rope from the front of the trailer keeping my feet dry. Take boat over to dock to tie out of the way or pull up on shore out of the way. Jump back in truck and go and park it. Walk back to boat, jump in and away I go. Launched in no time at all and do not unduly hold up anyone else.

If two of us, then one rides in boat other backs trailer into water till boat floats off. They park truck, guy in boat starts it and moves out of the way.

Do not get flustered and panic. If you need help just ask as usually pother boaters at the launch are happy to lend a hand.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
After I have the boat all ready to go and before I swing in line to back down the launch, I tie a 25 foot rope from the front of the boat to the post holding the winch on the trailer. As I am usually launching solo this allows me to back down the launch, have the boat float off the trailer and then I pull just far enough forward so I can get out of my truck and untie the rope from the front of the trailer keeping my feet dry. Take boat over to dock to tie out of the way or pull up on shore out of the way. Jump back in truck and go and park it. Walk back to boat, jump in and away I go. Launched in no time at all and do not unduly hold up anyone else.

If two of us, then one rides in boat other backs trailer into water till boat floats off. They park truck, guy in boat starts it and moves out of the way.

Do not get flustered and panic. If you need help just ask as usually pother boaters at the launch are happy to lend a hand.

Best advice!!!
Old 05-18-2017, 03:09 PM

Unloading is pretty straight forward follow all tips provided, loading can be tricky 1st few times mainly to figure out the proper depth u want your trailer in water to deep boat floats to shallow and u crank forever. Practice to find sweet spot my boat fenders out of water an inch my father's boat fenders buried under water. When pulling on trailer calculate wind factor etc to pull on to trailer straight makes it way easier
Old 05-18-2017, 03:19 PM

If this is the first boat or trailer you have pulled in a while, go to a vacant parking lot and practice backing up and maneuvering a fair bit before heading to the boat launch. Like a golf swing, it's harder to do well when a bunch of impatient strangers are standing there watching you.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:53 PM

Lots of great advice offered so far.

I would add go down to the launch before you are ready to back in and inspect it. See how far the blocks go, are there any broken ones that you could hang up on or damage your tires? How steep/slippery is the launch and how far do you have to back up to float your boat? Watch others that have similar vehicle/boat to yours to get a sense of that.

Personally I do not undo the bow strap until I have the stern in the water, then I jump out and release. Seen several boats slide off the trailer from sudden braking.

If you are launching/recovering with assistance, family radios can be very helpful in maintaining communication.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:45 PM

i always unplug the trailer wire harness before backing in as well, saves from blown bulbs or fuses.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
i always unplug the trailer wire harness before backing in as well, saves from blown bulbs or fuses.
+1!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 AM

Everything has been covered as far as I read. I didn't see one tip that makes life easier when there is no boat on your trailer, as it can be hard to back the trailer up because of you can't see it. Open your tailgate makes it a lot easier to see. I drive a dually and with out the tailgate down by the time my trailer comes into view it's to late to correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Everything has been covered as far as I read. I didn't see one tip that makes life easier when there is no boat on your trailer, as it can be hard to back the trailer up because of you can't see it. Open your tailgate makes it a lot easier to see. I drive a dually and with out the tailgate down by the time my trailer comes into view it's to late to correct it.

this is why I said to position your boat/trailer so you can look out the side window.Like you would be turning left if you were pulling out.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post

For those that still can't see the trailer, side mount guide-ons or even just bolted on driveway reflectors, can also help a lot.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Here's a tip if you are a greenhorn... If you go to a busy boat launch and you are in line with others behind you...swallow your pride and go to the guy behind you in the line up with the nicest biggest boat waiting to launch. Offer him 20 to 40 bucks to back your boat trailer in and help launch your boat. Give him the key to your truck and wait by the water. I say the guy with the nicest boat is because he most likely knows how to back a trailer in and launch his boat real good.. and he wants to launch his boat quickly too.

Go in the middle of the week to a quiet launch and practice. Don't practice on the busy days. Also try practicing unloading and loading up on rough water too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets