Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 06:17 PM

Default Online Hunter Harvest Reports

Just wondering if a person does not fill out there harvest report at the end of a season if it has any affect on getting draws the next year. I didnt fill out my report for last season, and with draws out now I did not get drawn for whitetail doe in 108 this year. I cant believe it, I even applied on the 2nd day you could do draws. As i think back a couple years ago this very thing happened to me. Just coincidence or true fact? Cant believe it.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Checked last years draw results,650 tags, 718 applicants.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 PM

I am sure that the numbers make a difference. Whether lots answered the harvest report. Lets say (figuratively speaking) 5,000tags were sold, but only 100 filled out the harvest report with successful hunts, the most of the rest did tag out but did not answer the report. In the eyes of F&W looks like the population is really low with so many "unfilled" tags. I fill the report out every year, it only takes a min, and the information is really handy for F&W and what they use it for. I dunno if my way of thinking is wrong on this, But it would make sense to me lmao.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM

I didn't get it either but I did draw mulie but a buddy didn't get his so who knows.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Just wondering if a person does not fill out there harvest report at the end of a season if it has any affect on getting draws the next year. I didnt fill out my report for last season, and with draws out now I did not get drawn for whitetail doe in 108 this year. I cant believe it, I even applied on the 2nd day you could do draws. As i think back a couple years ago this very thing happened to me. Just coincidence or true fact? Cant believe it.
Whether or not you fill out the survey does not increase or decrease your priority, neither does what day you submit your draws. It's not a first come first served thing. The only thing that affects yours odds of getting a draw is your priority.

Lets say SRD says 500 Mule buck tags will be issued in XXX WMU this year. Lets say the highest priority anyone has is P4. Well if 400 P4 apply, 100% will get drawn and 400 P3 apply 25% will get drawn. 0% will get drawn with P2, P1 and P0. So whoever has been waiting longest gets it.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM

I said it back a few months ago.....this was going to be a MAJOR "reboot" year as it pertains to draws, availability, and priority needed to be drawn.

I think that it shows....previous years in certain zones a guy would need a P2 as a shoe-in...now that may translate into a P4.

Last year there was undersub doe draws in many zones...this year P1 and P2 are being looked over in the same areas....

Buckle down boys things have changed and ARE changing fast.

LC
Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 PM

I am thinking that they also dropped number of licenses in certain areas. I thought I was a shoe in for a couple draws but came out with nothing. They did cut out supplemental tags in my area so I am thinking that they dropped the number of tags in the area. Does anyone know when the draw summary report will come out for 2012?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:37 PM

Its no big deal, i just found it interesting the 2 years of never filling out the report i didt get drawn the following year.There definitely is no shortage of does here though, next year.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Its no big deal, i just found it interesting the 2 years of never filling out the report i didt get drawn the following year.There definitely is no shortage of does here though, next year.
Thats the issue. F&W, srd use these reports from US hunters and use it to help manage game, I think if we all started to spend a minute or two after the season, when we check our email, to fill it out, we would see changes. KBF if those results last year of 650 for 106, ill say I know of a place where seeing 200 deer in one field at the same time is not uncommon. There are alot of does, but they dont do Ariel surveys of these animals, so how else are they going to get a general count or "assessment"?