Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 09:00 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Trapper Sled Options

Probly im gonna end up dragging my snow machine trapping…. very reluctantly!

So ive been using this lill steel snow skimmer up til now, kinda small and low, maybe can get 10 coyotes in if stacked real nice and strapped but then top heavy.

I need a bigger one

What is ideal?

Thinking this thing, but can the plastic stand up to the hitch thru heavy bashing?

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/sn...-acsledtrapper

What do you use, for big loads, not small?

Post links please?
Old 01-04-2022, 10:42 AM

Marty, that Halford unit looks like good heavy duty. We find gravel very hard on most calf sled models. We cut and bolt 2 inch wide strips of puck board or other HDPE to take wear and tear.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:51 AM

That’s a great sled. I’ve had one for years. Only problem is it doesn’t fit under a sled deck.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:07 PM

Default Pelican

By far for the money pelican slead red one is the largest one. Sarah shot two cow elk an I hauled both out guts in 5 km so I could use the tractor to gut them. This is the fourth season trapping an I was thinking about getting another. It has a cover that goes on an off real nice in the cold an actually works! I have Owned five other skimmer brands an i like this one. A little wide for tight trees but not bad. I also hauled a moose she shot 15 km. I ordered from Costco an it was 450 at the time.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:52 PM

I have 3 pelican sleds like Rod. You can find them at home hardware in smaller towns. Most I’ve paid was 350.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:15 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2022, 06:29 PM

Default Halford sleds

The Halford sleds are Koenders plastic sleds. Flaman also sells them, I looked at the Halford ones in the fall, they had little stock and they were all sitting outside and warped from the sun. They also couldn’t find the parts for the one I wanted. The parts that they did find were all rusted up so I passed on it there. Love the store but sleds not so much!
Old 01-04-2022, 08:59 PM

These are the best sleds made. They are tough as nails, work the best in overflow conditions and haul huge payload. They are also the best suited for doing a recovery should a machine break down as sled fits in between the front skis. Granted these are an expedition type sled built for long hauls. You can also build these sleds by forming the UHMW on a bender and then cutting out the fronts and backs for the curls. Any sheet metal person who understands fabricating can do this easily.

https://www.airframesalaska.com/Nort...rks-s/1877.htm
Old 01-05-2022, 07:47 AM
Banned

i had three calf sleds, so i made hitches for them to be dragged one behind the other. they seem to drag easy and are no problem for the snowmobile. there are always different ways to do things, but the way i did it was to take two pieces of flat steel (3/16" i think) for each side of the sled. drill four holes through the metal and the sled, then sandwich the sled between the two pieces of steel (clear as mud?). after you get the metal plates on each side of the sled, its easy to manufacture a solid hitch between the sleds and bob's your uncle.

i don't do photos here, but if you shoot me a pm with your email, i'll send some pics. you'll have to be handy with a welder to build the actual hitch, but when you have the whole thing built once, it will be easy to move it from one sled to another if you wear them out.

what it ends up looking like is the hitch on a pelican sled, attached to the same little flap-like connector that's on the back of the snowmobile....you could pull as may sleds in a row behind your snowmobile as you care to rig up.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:53 AM
AO Sponsor

Thanks for the info, nice to get the inside track from others instead of buying an item that id regret later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
These are the best sleds made. They are tough as nails, work the best in overflow conditions and haul huge payload. They are also the best suited for doing a recovery should a machine break down as sled fits in between the front skis. Granted these are an expedition type sled built for long hauls. You can also build these sleds by forming the UHMW on a bender and then cutting out the fronts and backs for the curls. Any sheet metal person who understands fabricating can do this easily.

Yukon, thanks for that, if i were a northern trapper having t haul cargo and fuel into my line, your suggestion would be my first pick. Im assuming you are trapping in the Yukon? Id sure like to see you post a whole bunch more with your Yukon pics? (You surely arent from Edmonton are you? 😳 )

But im just a wussy modern truck trapper, my loads are seldom more than a couple miles, really like Rods review, think a Pelican will work for me.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Probly im gonna end up dragging my snow machine trapping…. very reluctantly!

So ive been using this lill steel snow skimmer up til now, kinda small and low, maybe can get 10 coyotes in if stacked real nice and strapped but then top heavy.

I need a bigger one

What is ideal?

Thinking this thing, but can the plastic stand up to the hitch thru heavy bashing?

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/sn...-acsledtrapper

What do you use, for big loads, not small?

Post links please?
I’ve got this one and it is excellent. But it is heavy to move around and it pulls heavy also
Old 01-06-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, nice to get the inside track from others instead of buying an item that id regret later.

Yukon, thanks for that, if i were a northern trapper having t haul cargo and fuel into my line, your suggestion would be my first pick. Im assuming you are trapping in the Yukon? Id sure like to see you post a whole bunch more with your Yukon pics? (You surely arent from Edmonton are you? 😳 )

But im just a wussy modern truck trapper, my loads are seldom more than a couple miles, really like Rods review, think a Pelican will work for me.
Not a trapper. I like winter camping and being in the bush. There are lots of sleds under $500 that will not stand up to the rigors of trail travel. The hitch mounts are cheap and more often than not they are mounted too high on the body and the sled pulls heavy with a load. Bite the bullet and get a proven sled and it will last you a lifetime.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:48 AM

Equinox Industries Winnipeg make quality sleds and in many sizes. I have the trail model. Don't cut yourself short on cargo size as it is very easy to fill a sled whether winter camping, ice fishing or what ever else.

https://eqnx.biz/product-category/cargo-sleds

Last edited by LSLAKER; 01-07-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:23 AM

Default small time for hauling mostly coyotes behind my quad

I got the large otter sled for myself and some others on AO (mostly for ice fishing) but it has the replaceable nylon runners so I cant see how it would not suit your purpose Marty. I think in February Costco puts them on sale for around $125 for sled hitch and cover.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:34 PM

The Koenders/Flaman plastic sleds that Halford and others carry can take quite a bit of abuse. Up here it’s less trapping but everyone uses these to haul equipment in to their remote cabins. Unless you pay to fly something in in the summer, everything gets hauled in behind a snowmobile in the winter. That includes lumber for construction, 100 to 200 lb propane tanks, 55 gallon drums of fuel, etc. Theres also a lot of mega toboggans made out of fibreglass used but for the one of those you’re looking at upwards of $2K. Therefore the plastic ones get used quite a lot as well. With some puck board or other runners under them, they can even take the occasional encounter with exposed bedrock. I know one guy that hauled out over 2 tons of blast rock out of his back yard with one over two winters. It’s a little beat up now but he still uses it.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:20 PM

Sometimes it is a trade off between size and hard pull. I have lot of high ridges and heavy snow on line. Large wide sleds(lot of room) pull real hard and sometimes cause you to not make ridge, need to un-hook and pull up by hand, not fun with large sled.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I got the large otter sled for myself and some others on AO (mostly for ice fishing) but it has the replaceable nylon runners so I cant see how it would not suit your purpose Marty. I think in February Costco puts them on sale for around $125 for sled hitch and cover.
That’s what I use for moderate loads. Don’t do a lot but for price point and what I use it for they work perfect.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:

No question the best I have used. I have been trying to destroy my 10' Cross Fox for 6 years now. Over 12,000 km on it and it shows no sign of giving up. The tongue is so revolutionary and makes the sled with 300 pounds on it a joy to pull.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:59 PM
AO Sponsor

If I was gonna haul 50 gallon barrels of fuel around, I shore know what I'd buy!

But me just lill' dimwit truck trapper, hauling a couple lill kiyutes from the field back to the truck. Pelican for me, but ignorant snow seems to be melting hard. Me HATES SNOW!!!

It jus blows, and blows and blows, and drifts and drifts, and buries them poor lill kiyutes!!!

X

😈

Last edited by Marty S; 01-23-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:26 PM
Banned

well at least it sounds like you have a LITTLE snow. i got your old yammie all fixed up and not even enough snow for a test drive.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:26 AM
AO Sponsor

Cool, theres a couple yamaha carbs laying around here that i bought on ebay once, sitting in a box decomposing ever so slowly. If you ever need one, let me know, got one for a 340 by accident plus one for the 400. Hope it runs good! What did it cost you to get it going?
Old 02-02-2022, 08:16 PM

Seems to me that calf sleds are the most readily available but the Pelican Utility sleds are the best possible choice.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Cool, theres a couple yamaha carbs laying around here that i bought on ebay once, sitting in a box decomposing ever so slowly. If you ever need one, let me know, got one for a 340 by accident plus one for the 400. Hope it runs good! What did it cost you to get it going?
well,....by the time i replaced the pistons/rings, cylinders rebored, sliders, transmission chain, axle bearings, redid the seat, and all the related gaskets, i figure i'm into it for 12 hundred......but boy, does it ever run nice! might be interested in your carbs (maybe pm me for $$$?)

forgot to mention, i didn't keep track of the hours i spent on it.

but seriously, i'm grateful for your generosity.....i enjoy working on the old stuff, especially when it comes out the other end working properly.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:53 PM
Banned

Default Another choice:

https://good2goco.ca/collections/karyon
Old 03-01-2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:

This^ I've got 2 of them and they take extreme punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro