Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-08-2021, 12:11 PM

Default Earth anchors?

Hello folks, I hope all is going well for everyone. I’m snaring coyotes in a big coolie near my place. The north sidehill of the coolie is quite open, and the coyotes are travelling on cow paths and trails down into where my bait is placed. I’m wondering if somebody can give me advise on a good anchoring system so that I can place snares on these trails. There’s nothing good to anchor to, so I’m thinking earth anchors. What works good for setting in open areas? Thanks for the tips, have a great day.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:06 PM

This old thread has a picture of a snare stake and some info on open country snaring. Hope it helps.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ountry+snaring
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-08-2021, 01:07 PM

I've never used earth anchors but they should work. I just use rebar stakes. Give them a good long extension to work with and a kill spring setup and you should be fine.

Somebody on here posted pics of their snare support rig for these barren locations. It consisted of a 10-inch corral spike with a length of #9 wire tack-welded on to attach the whammy. Hid the snares perfectly in the buckbrush.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
This old thread has a picture of a snare stake and some info on open country snaring. Hope it helps.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ountry+snaring
That's the thread I was thinking of.....
Old 12-08-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Earth anchors

Pounded some stakes in the other day, but the soul is quite sandy, and I could pull them back out by hand. No good.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:27 PM
Banned

There are disposable Earth anchors:

https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/co...posable-stakes

I wonder how auger type Earth anchors would work?:

https://www.lowes.ca/product/storage...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-08-2021, 11:53 PM
AO Sponsor

I use a lot of steel stakes over the course of a season, including in wooded areas where a guy has tree tie options, reason being, I want my anchor to be in the right spot to minimize/eliminate brush interference with my system of snare plus killing spring and trigger.

I say that cuz there’s so much misinformation floating around about how I do this or that, or what “my county” is like around here… I do get around if you know what I’m saying??? And I’m not stuck to doing things one way, I just have certain rules that I don’t break to maximize the carotid kill that our anti frenz want to pretend doesn’t happen… will they lie? Will they slander? Will they libel???

Anyways, with steel stakes, ya soft ground in the fall and early winter can be a problem for staking so yes, disposables are the answer.

The Berkshire soft ground anchor is a good choice in mud, sand, loose ground. Long and wide holds a little more, I have used these stakes in beach sand with traps after trying to double and triple stake with Iowa Disposables and being able to yank the set by hand.

But in normal unfrozen ground where staking with steel stakes is questionable, normal disposables are great. Even on frozen ground, use disposables if an animal has the ability to pull straight up, should it break a steel stake loose.

Hook up is simple. I do believe that I came up with the swivelled extension concept and the continent embraced the concept due to the videos that I put out. Apply the same principle/system to the disposable stake. Cable off the stake with a medium small loop and DF, then your cable lead, which will stick out of the ground, with a heavy duty #9 wire snare swivel, and with a sizeable end loop on your snare you can easily tie your snare onto the disposable. If you don’t know how, pass the end loop of your snare or extension thru the swivel, then run snare or extension swivel thru end loop and tighten up the cable and let the loop end flip over and you are tied, and with perfect swivel function…. With option to untie!
Old 12-22-2021, 07:18 PM

Is the ground frozen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2021, 08:03 AM

Default Earth anchors

Not completely. Is quite sandy. I can pound in an 18” rebar stake, and wiggle it out by pulling straight up on it.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Have you tried two stakes together, at different angles?

Think an inverted V with the top ends together.

I used that on traps on sandbars along the river.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-23-2021, 11:18 AM

Default Earth anchors

I know what you’re talking about. Would probably work great, just haven’t done it yet. My season is coming to and end soon. Snow is making it hard to get to my spots.