Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Smoothest drawing compound bows

So I injured my elbow years back and had to put the bow down but it’s finally starting to feel solid enough I am tempted to try again

I am not up to date on what’s what for compounds these days so not sure where to start

In the past I shot an APA M7 and the draw was way too harsh for the injury. I would like to find something with a smooth steady draw with a solid back wall in hopes it doesn’t re aggravate the old injury. I know it’s when I come over the hump in the draw cycle that aggravates it. I already plan to stick to more moderate draw weights then the past

I don’t care about speed and the smooth draw is high priority. At this time I would like to stick to a compound in the moderate to lower end range out of fear I won’t be able to keep at it

Really I just want to get out and bow hunt again. I just need something that will let me get out and do it

I do plan to check out a shop next time I head into the city to experience any bow firsthand but what do you guys recommend for models to look at?
Old 11-28-2021, 09:34 AM

From what I hear, the Solution SS from Bowtech is near the top or strongly worth considering.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:10 AM

For about the last 4 to 5 years the Evolve cam from PSE has been known as the best blend of smooth and speed on the market. Unfortunately they have changed the Evolve cam on this year's bow and add a little more speed which has effected the draw cycle. So if I was in your shoes, I would seriously consider or try last years PSE Evo Evl 32 at 50-60 lbs. You could even save some money and look for a 2019 Evoke 31 or 35.

The Bowtech Solution SS is another great option (I personally shoot Bowtech). It gives up a little in the speed department when you are comparing apples to apples, but still plenty capable. The nice feature with all the new flagship Bowtech is the "Deadlock" system which allows you to tune your bow with a bow press.

The 3rd option you can look at is Elite. Always been known for a smooth draw (other than the Impulse) and have a similar tuning feature called "Set Technology". Only problem with Elite is they have ****ed off most Dealers with deciding to sell to big box stores like Cabelas, so you might have a tough time finding a place to try their latest offering.

Draw cycle is different for everyone and especially unique when you have a injury. So I would take the time to give Hoyt and Mathews a try. Their draw is a little stiffer up front but very smooth throughout with a slight hump and dump into the valley. When my Brother got into bow hunting last year he spent considerable time shooting the Revolt X on comfort and the VXR 31.5. He actually preferred the draw cycle of the VRX, where my main hunting bow is the Realm X on comfort and I prefer it much more than the VXR.

I haven't tried one yet, but hearing good things about the Prime Inline series as well.

Buying a new bow is a lot of fun, hit as many shops as you can and try as many as you can.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the input so far
Old 11-29-2021, 12:45 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A few years ago my son got into bow hunting so we hit a pro shop in which they had a large selection. The fella worked four hours with my son to find exacts on draw length and what felt right etc. Seven bows exactly before he settled and that meant shooting it and hitting paper accurately at 20 yards. He didn’t look at make, model or price just what felt right to him and with the help of the pro they dialled it in over a few more days of returning and shooting. Worked on eliminating bad form etc through mentoring that’s why I always say hit up a reputable pro shop.
He practiced lots and took his first archery whitetail buck that fall a nice clean 150 class in deep gnarly timber!

Good luck in your quest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-29-2021, 07:42 PM

I feel your pain I’ve got an APA too and by jaysus she’s tough to draw when I’m cold. Getting over that hump is seriously difficult. I cranked it down to 50 lbs. because I “just couldn’t” when I was cold.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:30 PM

You will want to look at a prime or Hoyt type of setup.

APA is the worst drawing bow there is.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:00 PM

Default Bowtech Solution SS

Both my shoulders and one of my elbows have issues. I have no interest in giving up bow hunting so earlier this year I shot just about every bow out there trying to find the most comfortable shooting bow (for me) and the winners hands down was the Bowtech Solution SS for smoothest drawing. The SS stands for super smooth. You do loose a few feet per second compared to a lot of the new bows out there but it is minimal. Plus the Bowtech’s have a performance mod built into the cam that lets you gain a few feet per second if needed. I didn’t bother as I am not a speed demon. All I want is an easy to draw bow. I got exactly what I was after. Killed a bull elk with it at 55 yards back in September. Super easy to draw, insanely accurate, not too heavy, dead in the hand, and very quiet. Couldn’t be happier.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the input everyone
Old 12-07-2021, 09:06 PM

I have a 60lb draw Carbon Air from PSE and its a very smooth draw. I have a weak shoulder and had to setaside a couple of my other bows for the PSE.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:06 PM

Prime
Old 12-14-2021, 08:07 PM

Default Prime Black/Nexus

Prime Bows are excellent!! Very Smooth
Old 12-16-2021, 05:36 PM

I agree Prime..
Old 12-16-2021, 08:00 PM

Bowtech Solution SS

LC
Old 12-17-2021, 12:54 AM

Try the Revolt or Revolt x. Both are very smooth drawing bows
Old 12-17-2021, 05:17 PM

Stopped in at Jim bows in Edmonton today and tested out a few left handed options they had. One thing is for sure the draw cycle on the new bows is extremely smooth compared to what I shot in the past.

The real issue is there is more than one option I considering so take some time to think it over

One thing I will add is the guys at Jim bows were really good and will have my business once I make my decision