Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 11:44 AM

Default Truck Receiver Game Hoist

I'll show ya my game hoist...

First I built a socket that inserts into the receiver hitch of my pickup (Ford F350).

It is tee shapped, with a 2-1/2" vertical piece that the leg of my hoist slides through, and the foot of the vertical piece just sits on the ground.
For taller critters, I can place a block under it to raise another foot or so.

The winch is worm gear drive, just fantastic in that it has crazy lifting capacity. And due to the worm gear, no matter where you stop cranking, the winch just holds right there. I've lifted ~700lb green logs, 13"dia by 9'long.

Heavy enough I couldn't raise one end of 'em, but that hoist just cranks them up.

I actually just did a mod on the hoist yesterday, which is the reason for these pics, as I sent them to bro' Jeff telling him about it.

I cut the vertical leg and inserted a 26" long piece of heavy wall 1-1/2" tubing and welded it in place.
Did the mod just to make handling the thing a bit easier, as it is 8' tall overall and a bit heavy to lift up into the receiver socket.

Modified the hoist yesterday (Jan 21-22)

I built this thing 8 or 10 years ago, it has handled a number of big bucks since then... in this pic you can see the teeth the gear works on...
I have 2 different sized gambrels for it.

My new Crane Hoist, supposed to be good up to 660lbs.

The Big 4x4 hanging on my diy game hoist. and in this pic you can see the receiver socket that it stands in.
Notice that in this pic I have a large block of wood under the leg, to allow this big deer to get hoisted higher.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-22-2022, 11:52 AM

Very nice. I've actually had this project on my to do list for quite some time now.

I've been thinking that where you have you wooden block i'm going to weld a trailer jack so that no matter the ground conditions i can get it to support the weight.

I also have a winch power hookup wired to the back of my truck to run the winch on my trailer so i think i will use a 12v 2000lbs winch i have laying around.

Thanks for the pics.

Hilgy
Old 01-22-2022, 12:55 PM

Yesterday i bot a truck bed extender at Princess Auto for $25 regular $99

I plan on using it for this purpose
Old 01-22-2022, 01:24 PM

I had a hitch poll like you had . Just was not happy skinning any think on it because it would alway spin with every cut i made .
Old 01-22-2022, 02:24 PM

I've skinned a bunch of deer on it, sure they might turn on ya a bit, but it's not that big of a problem.

I love this thing, let's me load big bucks, logs or any other heavy thing (up to ~700lbs) with relative ease.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-23-2022, 08:51 AM

I have used one of the commercial ones for a few years now and for my aging back they are great. Certainly Not as beefy as the one you made. I had to put a jack stand under it to take the weight of a big deer. I was able to stop mine from that annoying spinning by using straps to the truck tie down. It helped anyway.
Great job hope the get to hang a crap load of animals from it lol.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:46 AM

I have one a AO guy made it for me, can't think of his name now, but as I get older, this will help me load up my deer when alone, will post a pic later.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:43 AM

I broke down last year and just ordered a Princess auto one.

Has worked out great, with all the features on it, and breaks down into smaller manageable pcs.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:35 PM

Yours looks better made than mine. I have used a home made one for years.

To clean a deer I use the truck to pull the hide off with a tarp underneath to keep it clean. Cut the pelvic bone and hang it head up. That way when you grab the trachea and cut the diaphragm everything falls out.