Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-02-2021, 10:40 AM

Default Thumb release vs wrist release?

I’ve only ever used a wrist release. I’m curious which do you prefer for target shooting and which for hunting. I know people swear by the accuracy and consistency of a thumb release but Ive never used a thumb release. I just like the feeling of the release always on me when I’m walking in the woods instead of having to grab it. Let me know what you prefer.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:36 PM

I’ve been where you are. After a few years of a wrist release and watching a lot of John Dudley videos I decided to try a thumb release. I started with a $60 Amazon wolf. It’s was ok. I liked the feeling of it. Then I ordered an Nock2it. Much better release and I few to really like it. I felt like I was improving. Then hunting season rolled around and I realized after the first could days that I do NOT like walking around with that release in my hand and I didn’t like leaving it hanging on the D loop.

At this point I thought, maybe I should try my wrist release again. So I did and to my surprise I was shooting better then with the Nock2it. That was September last year and I’m back on my wrist release 100% of the time since.

As cool as the thumb releases were I just preferred the wrist release for a lot of reasons.

Good luck. It’s a fun journey.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:50 AM

Thanks for your reply. Whenever I go to 3D shoots it seems like most have them but that’s not to say you can’t shoot well with wrist releases I guess. You confirmed my thinking that their not practical. I would hate to miss out on a great opportunity in the attempt to gain a tad more consistency in my accuracy. Thanks again
Old 10-03-2021, 08:26 AM

No worries. I still enjoy shooting my Nock2it, but I didn’t like hunting with it. Also, they are quite cold because they are all metal. Not a big deal early season, but in cold temps I didn’t like it.

One thing that made me change back was seeing guys like Remy Warren, Mark Kenyon and Cam Hanes. If a wrist release was good enough for Pro’s like them to shoot 400+ Bull Elk and Big Horn Sheep, it’s surely good enough for me to shoot a 100” whitetail lol.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:30 AM

Good point about the metal. Just watched a video of Joe Rohan and cam Hanes shooting at 110 yards no problem with a wrist release. They make it look so easy!
Old 10-03-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
Thanks for your reply. Whenever I go to 3D shoots it seems like most have them but that’s not to say you can’t shoot well with wrist releases I guess. You confirmed my thinking that their not practical. I would hate to miss out on a great opportunity in the attempt to gain a tad more consistency in my accuracy. Thanks again
Most of those are actually hinge (back tension) releases, not thumb releases. I prefer the thumb and with a bit of practice and adjustment you can use it like a hinge.

If I was only going to hunt from a ground blind or tree stand I might be tempted to use a thumb or hinge release. The main reason I don't is I've yet to lose a release that's buckled to my wrist.

For pure accuracy the hinges will usually
be better.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:30 AM

Interesting, I didn’t realize they were. Have you ever had a unintentional shot during your draw?
Old 10-05-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I didn’t realize they were. Have you ever had a unintentional shot during your draw?
I have, twice with my Nock2It, ****ed me off so bad thought about selling the thing after. Both though were times I clipped it to the bow in anticipation of being ready when a deer shows itself and saving those 2 seconds cost me 2 deer. So now I will never clip it to my bow and wait because I forget to prop my thumb behind it while drawing and a premature release happens.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:42 PM

I moved from a wrist rocket to eventually a hinge. I worked through tension releases, and have shot a couple thumb triggers. Now I shoot a hinge with a safety, and its got a wrist strap that allows me to keep it tucked into my sleeve if I want as well. Either that or I leave it in my pocket when on stand in the real cold weather

That single move to a handheld has made me a much more confident shooter. I'd never go back.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:12 PM

I like a back tension for practice and to help curb target panic and a wrist for hunting. Might switch over to tension for hunting if I get one that's not noisy.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:32 PM

i made the transition from wrist to thumb release. I saw better groupings at all distance. I was curious about the backtensions (hinge release) so i found one second hand. Once i got the hang of it and understood how to properly execute a shot with one i haven't looked back. I use a hinge for hunting in stands, ground blinds. I also been using it on my elk hunts where there is lots of moving around involved. My accuracy has gone up, i dont really see any downsides other than the fact that you could lose it.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:07 PM

Thanks guys so much. I’m thinking I’ll try some out after hunting season so I’ll be dialed in with the best release for me by next year. Still not sure back tension or thumb button will have too shoot them first. Thanks again
Old 11-05-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys so much. I’m thinking I’ll try some out after hunting season so I’ll be dialed in with the best release for me by next year. Still not sure back tension or thumb button will have too shoot them first. Thanks again
All releases can be activated via back tension. Consider that if you are hunting with it, how it will react with gloves on or a cold hand. I still use a trigger release for target, 3D and hunting always have and likely always will. I use backtension to activate it.

LC
Old 11-05-2021, 07:54 AM

Could you explain a bit more on how you do that. Do you mean just pulling your whole hand back with your finger on the trigger?
Old 11-05-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Could you explain a bit more on how you do that. Do you mean just pulling your whole hand back with your finger on the trigger?
Yes basically, you feel for the trigger and execute the shot by pulling through… you don’t actually pull the trigger with your finger.

LC
Old 11-08-2021, 05:51 PM

I shall try this. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:55 AM

when it comes to releases most wrist straps are a single sear design. Higher end thumb activated releases have a double sear system.

In a single sear the trigger is attached to the sear, and in a double sear the sear is activated by a strong spring that the trigger pulls a secondary sear out of the way to let the spring activate the release which is why they have to be cocked.

There are some wrist releases out there with a double sear system and that is what I use. I also have a wrist strap resistance activated back tension as well. (not a hinge) that I use for practice.

The advantage of a double sear system is you can set the trigger for consistent tension and there are two adjustments one for travel and the other for tension. single sear the adjustment adjusts both. the trigger tensions also changes according to how hard you pull at full draw.

To activate a trigger release it is as mentioned above. Proper draw length, consistent trigger pull and travel allows consistent activation through back tension... I lock my finger around the trigger and "stretch" my arrow through trying to press my pin into the target while maintaining a consistent increase in "pull" this action also creates a stronger aim and alignment with less pin float until execution. But you have to be confident in your shot, if you have any doubts your subconscious wont let it happen...

That is why the "trigger less" are effective to teaching proper shot execution. There is only one way to get them to release and that is through smooth execution... not saying you cant punch a hinge release (I can do it). and people hate them at first because they don't allow another option. Once you get it then I transfer back to the trigger again.

I have used a Carter Like Mike for Years and the Back Strap for practice or if I need a tune-up. I used an evolution before that for practice. Now I hunt and shoot target with either.

Lefty Canuck is absolutely correct
Old 11-09-2021, 08:16 PM

I use a single sear, not toggle linkage style wrist release. I like the head attached to the wrist strap via a nylon strap versus the more rigid connections (all-thread) that are out there. I shoot the wrist release with back tension. My favorite hunting release is a B3 Hawk.

I do have a Scott hinge and a Carter Evolution that I'll shoot once in a while but do not hunt with them. They are good to work thru target panic/aiming issues.

I burned out on thumb releases many decades ago and have almost instant target panic with them....unlike most people who find thumb releases tame target panic versus a wrist strap.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:17 PM

Good to know thanks
Old 11-09-2021, 08:45 PM

I know very little about releases compared to the guys that have already replied but I found there was a big difference in my accuracy between a pull style and push style thumb release. My preference by far is the push style. I use the TRU ball T handle and like that it’s in my pocket not hanging on my wrist. Pushing thumb felt a lot more natural than pulling thumb back.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:25 AM

Wrist
Old 12-14-2021, 08:15 PM

Default thumb/back tension

I have always used a wrist release, but have always wondered about thumb / back tension release. What brand would you recommend for a back tension and or thumb release?