Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-16-2021, 10:11 PM

Default New boom stick

I’ve been kind of kicking myself for selling my 590a1. I really didn’t have a home defence/truck gun any more. Looking around for something compact these days shows a lot to choose from. I had a budget of $400 for a 12ga with a full stock and a barrel between 12 and 16 inches.

Here’s what I choose…

It’s a little Akkar Churchill 612 Tactical with a 12” barrel. The chamber will shoot a maximum of 3” shells and the mag will hold 4. You can also chamber an extra shell to have a 4 + 1 arrangement. Cost was $265.

I will try it out when I get a chance with some 00 buck shot and some slugs. I also got a cool scabbard that will protect the gun from banging around under the seat of the truck.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:44 PM

Very similar to what I have (Dominion Arms Grizzly with 12" barrel based on 870). The grizzly does have the ghost ring rear peep which I like. And my scabbard is green, not black, other then that....

It's a good set up for a gun you can beat around in the truck. I did upgrade to a magpul stock and foregrip on mine, caught a sale and it's grippy. I'm sure it will serve you well.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-17-2021, 02:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Nice looking rig.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-17-2021, 08:55 AM

Good looking rig at a good price. Is that the version that accepts all 870 accessories? This is the one I found interesting. It is a recent design and import by tactical imports.

Details:
The revolution in shotgun design is here: introducing the SAP6 magazine fed pump action shotgun, exclusively from Tactical Imports.

The development of the SAP6 shotgun sought to overcome many of the shortfalls of the common and dated pump shotgun design. The use of a detachable magazine allows for a shorter barrel without the sacrifice of magazine capacity. The shorter length results in a shotgun that is lighter, more compact and faster for CQB, action shooting and hunting scenarios. The detachable magazine also allows for easy and rapid reloading over conventional tube type systems and the interchangeable chokes allow for tailoring of shot patterns. Magazine seating is straight insertion style, allowing for smooth and simplistic reloads.

The full length picatinny rail permits the user to configure their shotgun towards their specific needs/mission requirements with a wide variety of picatinny accessories. The telescoping stock features multiple positions, permitting comfortable use by all. The SAP6 now includes a top-mounted single point sling attachment between end of receiver and stock plate (not pictured).

Reliability has always been a concern with detachable magazine shotguns, which is why the SAP6 has gone under an extensive testing and evaluation process involving multiple prototypes. Tactical Imports was heavily involved during this process to ensure the ultimate in reliability and durability standards.

Comes one six round magazine, hardcase, single point sling, choke tube set and instruction manual. Non-restricted class. In-stock and ready to ship.

Combine and Save:
Select a Shield UK red Dot with order and save $50.00 over regularly priced red dot and mount

Features:
•Detachable magazine for quick and easy reloading
•Tested and proven durability and reliability
•Full length picatinny rail
•Telescoping stock
•Built-in shell holder
•Ambidextrous design allows for comfortable shooting by both left and right handed users
•Compact 11.4" barrel
•Spare magazines fit in double AR-15 magazine pouch
•Straight-insertion magazine seating
•5 year warranty
•Lightweight

Specifications:
Caliber: 12GA 3" & 2.75"
Choke: Interchangeable: F, IM, M, IC, C
Magazine Capacity: 6 (10 Optional)
Method of Operation: Pump
Length with Stock Retracted: 740mm
Length with Stock Extended: 835mm
Sights: Hood style front sight
Barrel Length: 290mm
Weight: 2041g
Old 10-17-2021, 08:57 AM

I looked at those as my bear repellant, but carrying a pump 12" barrel with one up the spout could be downright hazardous to your health, so I chose a 14 "Single. 2 3/4 00 at 15 ft. The first shot is the one that counts after all, light enough you don't really notice it either.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 10-17-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:23 PM

Very nice choice and for $265. Wow. You did extremely well. Enjoy that shot gun!
Old 10-17-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Very nice choice and for $265. Wow. You did extremely well. Enjoy that shot gun!
Turkey seems to have gone into shotgun production big time, good value and quality combined.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-18-2021, 01:22 AM

I bought the same shotgun last year and basically the same case only camo lol. Fun to shoot, earplugs advised .

Unfortunately have had a few instances where the shell up next in the magazine tube doesn't want to release so you have to cycle the action a couple times.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:16 AM

I have the same set up, fits in the quad box also for summer time riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180225_145811_resized.jpg (45.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20180225_145928_resized.jpg (33.6 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by curtz; 10-18-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:40 PM

New slug gun…

The 17” barrel will give a much better sight radius then my 12” Churchill for slugs.

Canuck Enforcer
Old 02-15-2022, 08:25 PM

Can anyone answer this for me. I have a mossberg defender and tried sabot slugs out of it last year and at 25’ or so there were hitting the log sideways. Is it because its not a rifled barrel. And if so what kind of slug should i be shooting.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Can anyone answer this for me. I have a mossberg defender and tried sabot slugs out of it last year and at 25’ or so there were hitting the log sideways. Is it because its not a rifled barrel. And if so what kind of slug should i be shooting.
Sabot slugs are designed only for rifled barrels. Get some foster or berneke slugs as they work well in smooth barrels. My smooth will easily shoot berneke into 3 inches at 100.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up Federal® TRUBALL Rifled Slugs - 12 Gauge

This innovative design allows smoothbore shotgun shooters to attain accuracy comparable to that of shotguns with rifled barrels. A unique projectile stabilizing system results in groups up to 75% tighter than those shot from smoothbore barrels using rifled slugs. Box of 5 rounds

Group very nice in my 590 at 100 yards.

Best Buy a box of many types of slugs and see what works best out of your shotgun then what the the rest shoot the bejesus out of four litre milk jugs at closer ranges just pick up the mess afterwords

Makes for a fun outing

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-17-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I have the same set up, fits in the quad box also for summer time riding.
I have one of these that I bought for the trailer and never took it. Fired one round to check it out and put it away. Will post in the buy and sell as well' Will come with a few slugs, ssg's and whatever I have if picked up or a meeting.