Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 PM

Default Labelled skins

Found this info about how labelled skins work on another trapping forum. Thought it might be a good read for others.

Here are some direct quotes from the NAFA Auction catalog regarding labels. This information is in each catalog produced by NAFA. These are the catalogs the buyers use at the sale. Presumably, the buyers read all the info at the front of the catalog.

NAFA Northern Wild Fur Labels

The NAFA Northern label represents the world's finest wild fur. It is exclusively offered through North American Fur Auctions.

NAFA labels are available only from NAFA at the time of clearance of purchases. (THat is when the buyer has paid for the goods and the goods are shipped to the buyer".

Labels are issued as follows -

One label per -

15 NAFA Northern Beaver, lynx, coyote, otter
20 NAFA Northern Lynxcat, red fox, raccoon
40 NAFA Northern Sable
50 NAFA Northern Wild mink, muskrats

Labels are not issued for other wild fur species. A similar label is also issued for ranch fox and ranch

It is cloth with gold thread. It is 4.25 inches long x 2 inches wide.

You will see at the left end there is a code (G 32172). This is a unique code that can be traced back to the pelts it was sold with. There are several security features in the label to protect it from being copied.

The label comes with a little hang tag booklet that explains about the label. Here is a picture of the whole works.

So what happens is this. The buyer buys a bundled of labeled skins. Say he buys 500 muskrats. When he pays for the goods, NAFA gives him 10 labels. One label for each 50 skins. NAFA records who got what label numbers for which fur.

The buyer sends the pelts to a dresser and when the pelts are dressed, they are sent on to a furrier to be made into garments. When the garment made from these labeled pelts is finished, the furrier can sew one of the labels into the garment. When the garment is displayed in a fur salon for sale, the hang tag is attached to the garment.

NAFA reserves the right to inspect any/all garments that carry the NAFA Northern label to verify the labels were used correctly. Whether they do or not, I don't know.

Bottom line- labels are a NAFA marketing tool to make the buyer of the fur coat feel warm and fuzzy.

Any questions?? LOL
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Banned

marketing tool or not, at first glance i don't see anything wrong with the label. seems similar in my mind to a "made in canada" or "made in usa" stamp or label. would let potential buyer of finished product know that they are buying highest grade of fur supplied by people who are proud of what they are selling. or am i missing something?
i question why only one tag for such a high # of pelts. if your making a coat (for eg.) out of beaver it might take all 15 prime beaver, but if your making, say, 5 hats then you only have one tag for all 5.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:10 PM

Default labelled pelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
Found this info about how labelled skins work on another trapping forum. Thought it might be a good read for others.

Here are some direct quotes from the NAFA Auction catalog regarding labels. This information is in each catalog produced by NAFA. These are the catalogs the buyers use at the sale. Presumably, the buyers read all the info at the front of the catalog.

NAFA Northern Wild Fur Labels

The NAFA Northern label represents the world's finest wild fur. It is exclusively offered through North American Fur Auctions.

NAFA labels are available only from NAFA at the time of clearance of purchases. (THat is when the buyer has paid for the goods and the goods are shipped to the buyer".

Labels are issued as follows -

One label per -

15 NAFA Northern Beaver, lynx, coyote, otter
20 NAFA Northern Lynxcat, red fox, raccoon
40 NAFA Northern Sable
50 NAFA Northern Wild mink, muskrats

Labels are not issued for other wild fur species. A similar label is also issued for ranch fox and ranch

It is cloth with gold thread. It is 4.25 inches long x 2 inches wide.

You will see at the left end there is a code (G 32172). This is a unique code that can be traced back to the pelts it was sold with. There are several security features in the label to protect it from being copied.

The label comes with a little hang tag booklet that explains about the label. Here is a picture of the whole works.

So what happens is this. The buyer buys a bundled of labeled skins. Say he buys 500 muskrats. When he pays for the goods, NAFA gives him 10 labels. One label for each 50 skins. NAFA records who got what label numbers for which fur.

The buyer sends the pelts to a dresser and when the pelts are dressed, they are sent on to a furrier to be made into garments. When the garment made from these labeled pelts is finished, the furrier can sew one of the labels into the garment. When the garment is displayed in a fur salon for sale, the hang tag is attached to the garment.

NAFA reserves the right to inspect any/all garments that carry the NAFA Northern label to verify the labels were used correctly. Whether they do or not, I don't know.

Bottom line- labels are a NAFA marketing tool to make the buyer of the fur coat feel warm and fuzzy.

Any questions?? LOL
So this is just something NAFA does,there is no recognition sent to the Trapper saying their fur had been selected for this label,i had a coyote and some rats that were labeled,coyote went for 100 and rats were 10.50 each Peter
Old 03-01-2014, 02:38 PM

As far as I can tell all furs grade I and better are all labelled skins. It is more for the garment seller