Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Default First open water trip with an exclamation!

Just got back from an epic trip to South Andros, Bahamas. First time for me fishing the flats...or salt water fly fishing. Fished 3 days out of Bair’s lodge. Guides were top notch and a lot of fun to fish with. Equipment was well maintained and ready to go. Excellent selection of flies and other tackle goodies. Accommodations and food were perfect. Extremely nice but not crazy, carried away, first class nonsense. I.e. perfect for a fishing experience.

First day landed a big bonefish right away. A 7 lb beauty. Took me to my backing twice. All power. Way to start it off! It turned out to be my biggest of the trip and 2nd biggest amongst all the anglers. The biggest caught during the week was 10lbs. Caught well over 20 bones and a lot of snapper on day 1. Day 2 was a combo of boat and walking flats. Lots of nice bones. Lost about 5 right off. Next one first snap off, right at the knot. Put on the same fly. Next fish 5 minutes later sets up the same. Great fight. Land it...it has both of my flies. One on each side of the mouth, same fly. That fish was determined and hungry!

The highlight was a huge barracuda. We had been seeing many of them but nothing too huge. The guide thought this one was a tarpon at first. Too big for a cuda he was thinking. Once we knew it was a cuda I switched to my 2nd rod. I had just rigged it that morning with a toothy critter leader I just bought. The fly was a flashy one I had brought from home and was thinking it could be good cuda bait. I casted at this monster that was just sitting there. It would move almost every cast to the falling fly. Stripping the fly fast...nothing. It would just watch. Next cast, it would move in again on the drop. Finally put the perfect, about 30th, cast right in front of its mouth. As the fly falls in front in clamps down. It was a take and visual I will not forget. I set the hook and the cuda does a couple of turns. Then, all hell breaks loose. This thing does a power run and jumps about 5 feet in the air. It then does 2 frontways leaps right at the boat and comes within 2 feet of landing in the boat. The cuda is going past the boat so fast you can hear the fly line sizzle. The bow in the line was bad and I knew this could easily lead to loosing the fish. So I quickly hand over hand the bow out of the line until it is all tight again. The cuda does another run towards the mangroves. My wife finally gets the camera running by this time. Here is the vid, hard to see the jump but starts about 27 seconds in and we get one more long forward jump. You can hear the reel screaming just before. That was how it went except the first runs where longer and more powerful. The drag was tight too. It was the most epic battle with a fish for me yet, and on the fly. Finally land the beast. The guide wants to keep this one so grabs it by the eyes. Apparently this subdues them...I know it would subdue me! This monster turns out to be 45 inches long and somewhere between 25-30 lbs. Those teeth...
That was the biggest of the week by anyone by far.

Big Cuda run
https://youtu.be/EuIDYd2-a2I

Big cuda at boat
https://youtu.be/-KpcE-TvF80

The rest of the trip continued to be awesome. We saw manta rays, sting rays, sharks, birds, and a dolphin which followed us on the flats for an hour. Crazy!
Vid:
Dolphin stalking us on the flats
https://youtu.be/Cy9Are-h6DM

The water is clear and has the beautiful color.
Vid:
Stalking the flats
https://youtu.be/j6szNzqT-XA

The management was excellent. Beach fires held every night with all inclusive booze... miss it already!
Way to open up the open water season with a bang!!

And now for the highlight pics:

Shots from the plane

I can almost see exactly where each bonefish should be

Flats leading to the deep...gotta head back just to fish this area

The lodge

Hammock time!

Conch gathering for supper
Old 04-08-2019, 12:02 PM

First morning! The anticipation...

Big bone on!

First fish!

Guide wanted a pic too

Shark!

Small snapper

Unplanned release

Walking the flats

Old 04-08-2019, 12:02 PM

Bonefish release

Hiding bird

The beast!

Teeth galore!

Sun dog. There was a double but the 2nd wouldn’t show.

Picking a coconut

Double rainbow

Fish on!

Stealth mode

Flipper
Old 04-08-2019, 12:10 PM

Great pics, must have been a trip of a lifetime.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Such an awesome experience. I just got back from my first trip as well. I was a few islands south of you.
Were the bonefish at all spooky in your area?
What do you think your average number of good shots at bones was per day?

I see how this game gets addictive.
Awesome cuda!!!
Old 04-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Such an awesome experience. I just got back from my first trip as well. I was a few islands south of you.
Were the bonefish at all spooky in your area?
What do you think your average number of good shots at bones was per day?

I see how this game gets addictive.
Awesome cuda!!!
Nice! Which island, Crooked or somewhere there?

Good shots was anywhere between 20-30 on average. Some days a lot, lot more. The day I caught the cuda, I long released about 5 and landed 3. I'm sure I had 30 chances though. So yes, they are spooky but that is more because we were fishing them in 12 inches of water at the most. Sometimes 6 inches or less. Any fish is spooky in that skinny of water. In my humble opinion, most of the guides did not fish enough deeper water or used something like a sinking tip to be more effective. I would change that on the next round. You could literally land double digits everyday with the right combo.

Fishing Talbot and Sylvan for whitefish definitely helped me for this kind of fishing.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 PM

That Cuda is something else. But those bones! Really good size. I guess South Andros is pretty good. Heard enough about it.

BTW, if you care to be specific, that Snapper is a Mutton Snapper. Caught a few of them in Cancun. Had it identified by my guide.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Sounds like it was a great trip and good intro to flats fishing ...... trouble is you are now addicted ...... I leave in a week for 2 weeks further south and east of Andros ..... Cudas are very underrated in my opinion and will be one of the main targets on my trip with bones being 3 or 4th ..... guess I've been spoiled ........ welcome to the addiction ......
Old 04-08-2019, 08:10 PM

We fished along Crooked. There were quite a few fish around, but it sounds like you saw even more. There were very few fish over 5lb seen, mostly 3-4lbers.
Like you we only fished shallow water, but hunting fish in the shallows is exactly what I wanted to do. I would do the same again. Sightfishing in the shallows is the best game for me.
Glad you had a great time. It sounds like the fish are bigger up that way
Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 AM

Great trip,,, glad to hear it worked out for you. That one bone is a very nice fish. Congrats!

What flies , pray tell, did you end up using for the bones?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Awesome looking trip. Def on the bucket list. Any pictures of the flies you were using?

Dave
Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
We fished along Crooked. There were quite a few fish around, but it sounds like you saw even more. There were very few fish over 5lb seen, mostly 3-4lbers.
Like you we only fished shallow water, but hunting fish in the shallows is exactly what I wanted to do. I would do the same again. Sightfishing in the shallows is the best game for me.
Like the river the bigger fish are where you find them, I have caught some very good fish on Acklins approaching double digit, you will find they are always in ones or twos and never in schools.... that being said Andros particularly the south and middle bights have some very good fish... I have always wanted to get over to the west side which sees very little pressure and has tarpon too
Old 04-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
Like the river the bigger fish are where you find them, I have caught some very good fish on Acklins approaching double digit, you will find they are always in ones or twos and never in schools.... that being said Andros particularly the south and middle bights have some very good fish... I have always wanted to get over to the west side which sees very little pressure and has tarpon too
On the last day one of the groups did make it through to the West side and then South to the small islands there. They had the best fishing of their week. There were over 20 bones landed and they got the 10lber. They also landed permit but nothing big.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Cool, yeah I hear you on stalking the flats. Nothing beats the visual and challenge of shallow flats fishing. If I go longer the next time I want to cover some deeper water though.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Awesome looking trip. Def on the bucket list. Any pictures of the flies you were using?

Dave
And to Pikesbreath.

I'll post pics of them tonight. The ones I tied caught nothing but snapper. Bones refused them. They are picky about form and color. The flies I bought there are definite winners. Pics to follow...
Old 04-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Awesome pics, looks like a fantastic time. If you don’t mind, about how much for the trip?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
And to Pikesbreath.

I'll post pics of them tonight. The ones I tied caught nothing but snapper. Bones refused them. They are picky about form and color. The flies I bought there are definite winners. Pics to follow...
Here you go:

Kind of well used...
Some flash but smaller barbell eyes so a bit lighter for skinny water. Key is the additional eyes at the butt and orange.

Similar but heavier for a bit deeper water. Pink and flash on the back. Additional eyes and orange...see the theme

Both worked better than any other and look more mantis "shrimpy" than anything else I used.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 AM

looks like an unforgettable trip! One day I have to do that...
Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
Awesome pics, looks like a fantastic time. If you don’t mind, about how much for the trip?

I’m not actually sure since my wife booked and paid for it as a Bday present . Though I suspect similar to a West coast trip but you also have a higher travel cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk