Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM

Default Freeze dried food, places to buy

I thought I would start a thread about freeze dried food, or back country food packs.

I found a place call 72hours, they have a few 2 person meals plus pro packs and when you spend 100 for shipping is free, not hard to spend 100 these days.

does anybody else know a place that has deals on freeze dried food.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM

Costco
Old 04-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Briden Solutions in Calgary.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:04 AM

I did an order from Heathers Choice. I bought some pacharoons, a breakfast asst, and a couple of meals. The blueberry pacharoons are good. The cherry ones, not so much. The breakfasts are good, but I can taste the buckwheat and makes me kind of gag. I don't like the taste but I feel really good after eating. I tried the salmon chowder and I quite like it. Although if you have changed a babies diaper, you won't appreciate what it looks like. The shipping was more than I like to pay, but service was prompt and easy peasy. I think I will just pick thru MEC or places such as that. Campers village maybe. I would like to order a bunch more of the pacharoons so maybe a large combined order may save on shipping.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
Briden Solutions in Calgary.
I think they are priced more than other places
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM

I just did a quick check vs the mountain house on 72 hrs and it depends on the meal. For most things regular price vs regular price Briden is cheaper. You do have to spend twice as much for free shipping though. That being said the peak refuel marinara is my favourite freeze dried meal by far, the breakfast skillet not so much but hey you can’t win them all.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 PM

Might want to check out this site. They have military rations from all over the world. Lots to choose from. Good bulk cases.
https://mremountain.com/collections/...tions-and-mres
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Check out canadian preparedness, he's got a YouTube channel as well: Canadian Prepper.

Top quality gear at comparable prices and it's a Canadian business.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 PM

What ever you decide on buy only one package and try it out to see if you like it. I have seem many people not happy with freeze dried meals. But then that was many years ago.
I once had a fellow talk me into taking some babies applesauce. He claimed it was real good. Not for me.
I like to take one pot meals with a small tin of chicken, turkey or fish some noodles or instant rice and dried veggies. I have gone for 8 days with this setup. Peta bread if you keep the moisture away from it lasts. Instant porridge is o.k. Instant soups to get the water back into your system.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:56 AM

Make your own dehydrated meals, it’s a bit of work, but you get food that actually tastes good and holds most of the original nutrient content. Just use ground meats and chop you veggies small and they rehydrate just fine
Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Just ordered a free sample from Wise foods, to see what they are like. Seem heavy on vegetarian to this cowboy.

Good video on freeze dried foods.. Bottom line being they don't supply enough daily calories for most people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9tgR-lVWeU

Grizz
Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 AM

I bought about 2 dozen packages of alpine aire when Cabela's had them on sale last summer. I believe they were 20% off. For the future though I would like to start experimenting with making my own dehydrated meals.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:26 AM

Smile 12 day 'er

I am having a lot of anxiety over meal planning for a 12 day excursion next fall. I am worried about not eating enough meat type of protein for that length of time. As well as finding products that aren't completely full of salt that would keep for that long. Hoping we see some cooler temps in that salami and cheese stay good. As well, worried about bears or other critters getting into our food. We are going to be a fair ways into the backcountry so packweight is a big consideration. Getting old etc as well. Hopefully there are sheep ribs to gnaw on. Recommendations most welcome.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
I am having a lot of anxiety over meal planning for a 12 day excursion next fall. I am worried about not eating enough meat type of protein for that length of time. As well as finding products that aren't completely full of salt that would keep for that long. Hoping we see some cooler temps in that salami and cheese stay good. As well, worried about bears or other critters getting into our food. We are going to be a fair ways into the backcountry so packweight is a big consideration. Getting old etc as well. Hopefully there are sheep ribs to gnaw on. Recommendations most welcome.
It's pretty easy to dehydrate your own ground beef and chicken and supplement the freeze dried meals, or make your own complete meals.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM

Just for kicks, I cooked up the one Wise meal, I had on hand. the dog appreciated it.

Grizz
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
It's pretty easy to dehydrate your own ground beef and chicken and supplement the freeze dried meals, or make your own complete meals.
Well that is fine. I much apppreciate your advice. My biggest concern is that we are in at day 8 and food goes sideways. I'm thinking of being at 50-60 on pack weight and do not want or am able to be much heavier in 'just in case' items.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Well that is fine. I much apppreciate your advice. My biggest concern is that we are in at day 8 and food goes sideways. I'm thinking of being at 50-60 on pack weight and do not want or am able to be much heavier in 'just in case' items.
I only got one year of back country expierence but going in for 12 days you should be looking at minimum 20lbs in food. I would say pack the meat and cheese and just eat it the first 2 or 3 days. Freeze dried foods won't go bad, just might get sick of eating it after a week plus.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
I just did a quick check vs the mountain house on 72 hrs and it depends on the meal. For most things regular price vs regular price Briden is cheaper. You do have to spend twice as much for free shipping though. That being said the peak refuel marinara is my favourite freeze dried meal by far, the breakfast skillet not so much but hey you can’t win them all.
The Peak Marinara used to be one of my favorites until they just launched their 6 new meals... now the Chicken Pesto Pasta has won my heart! I'm curious to know what you think once you have tried the new ones.

As for the skillet - try turning it upside down and shaking it before you rehydrate - I have found that the seasoning settles to the bottom and it is far more enjoyable when the seasoning is mixed in properly.

If anyone is interested in trying them we are doing Peak Refuel taste testing at our open house tomorrow (Saturday, Aug 10th from 10:00-12:00) at Briden Solutions just west of Calgary. There is also a free beef on a bun lunch between 12:00-1.

You can also see an awesome article that reviews Peak in the August edition of the Alberta Outdoorsmen by Kevin Wilson as well as a sponsored ad.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:01 PM

I just did an order from 72 hours great service was here in 3 days full box of Mountain House at Canadian prices

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Default Thrive

Thrive is out of the states but they have "sales people" around Canada.
It is like a Steeped tea consultant type of thing.
Everything is freeze dried and you can mix and match to make your own meals.
that is the way we went and it is by far better quality then the pre made meals.
You control the spices you add.
Make you own boil in a bag or rehydrate and cook a full meat.
A great breakfast in the mountains is an egg wrap, peppers onion eggs, sausage and a tortilla, pour the water in about 5 to 10 min before then into boiling water in a heat resistant bag till eggs are solid wrap in the tortilla and good to go.
Shepards pie was easy and very good as well.
They have lots of meat and veggies to choose from.
Website is all in US $ though.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:39 PM

Business in Canmore. Pretty decent grub if you add your own salt.

https://peakeatsfood.com/
Old 08-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimard View Post
Thrive is out of the states but they have "sales people" around Canada.
It is like a Steeped tea consultant type of thing.
Everything is freeze dried and you can mix and match to make your own meals.
that is the way we went and it is by far better quality then the pre made meals.
You control the spices you add.
Make you own boil in a bag or rehydrate and cook a full meat.
A great breakfast in the mountains is an egg wrap, peppers onion eggs, sausage and a tortilla, pour the water in about 5 to 10 min before then into boiling water in a heat resistant bag till eggs are solid wrap in the tortilla and good to go.
Shepards pie was easy and very good as well.
They have lots of meat and veggies to choose from.
Website is all in US $ though.

The Nutristore line is the same thing as Thrive and is available in Canada. All freeze dried individual ingredients. I cook with it all the time in even my everyday cooking.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 PM

I miss Magic Pantry !
Old 10-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Post Head's Up!

Just a quick heads up that Peak Refuel Chicken Alfredo and Beef Stroganoff are on sale until next Wednesday (Oct 16th).

We are also running a giveaway on Instagram where you could win a Peak 6-Pack for both you and a friend.

You can see all details for both of the above in our Forum Sponsors Profile -

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Tags
deals, freeze dried food