Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Default How many hours is too many on a skid steer?

Question for the guys who own/run los of heavy equipment, especially skid steers.

Been on the hunt for a used skid steer for non-commercial use. Budget is maxed out at $18k so I have been browsing through a lot of higher hour machines (the prices of these things is crazy). Seems like people are selling all makes and models with 4000-5000+ hours--which is somewhat assuring to see these machines make it that long but I worry about these things becoming serious nickle-and-dimers, or soon in need of a hydrostat pump or headgasket or rebuild.

So lets say you are looking at a nice machine with original paint, not all beat up, and appears to have been well maintained/greased. What do you guys think is too many hours? 2000? 3000? 4000?

Of course hours is only one thing to take into consideration when buying a piece of equipment, and how it was maintained, what it was used for, condition, etc are likely more important, as a machine with 1200 hours but looks like hell is IMO less preferable to a nice shape original paint unit with 2500 hours.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:54 PM

What are you going to use it for? I own a Cat 277 on tracks with 6500 hours on it. Not scared of it at all. These things are built pretty tough. If it needs a big repair I’m capable of doing it myself if needed just need to do the math of whether it makes sense to fix it or find another one. You already have figured out your budget so next step is to find out what you can get for that budget. I wouldn’t be scared of a nice looking machine with 5000 or less hours if it fits your budget.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:12 PM

Mostly snow removal at my place + a few neighbours and using it for any other project as necessary. Again nothing commercial.

I look every day at FB marketplace and Kijiji at finding what is available in my budget every machine seems to be 2 or 3 out of the following 4 -- 1. very old 2. poor exterior condition 3. 4000+ hrs 4. mechanical issues

Been keeping a real keen eye out for a well maintained mid-sized older sub 3000 hr machine that has seen an easier life on someone's acreage for the last 10 or so years, and preferably one with an enclosed cab. That is apparently asking a lot given my price range--any mid sized skid steer that runs sells for $10k it seems regardless of condition/hours.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 AM

I have a few customers that sell their skidsteers at about 3000 hours. They cost them nothing to this point, and they tend to have minor costs and down-time beyond that. At 6000 hours I would consider it at its life expectancy. Not to say that you won’t get past 6000, but a lot won’t make it even to 5000.

If I was looking for a skid steer as a HD mechanic other than a good inspection I would take a hydraulic sample as a requirement of purchase before any other part of the inspection. Any high brass, copper, steel, aluminum or silicon and I’m out. You can buy a good 2 year old skid steer for the cost of a hyd clean out and repair. Engines are cheap in comparison to a pump failure.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:53 AM

I think that with an $18k budget you are looking for a unicorn finding a mint 2-3000 hour machine. Not saying it won’t happen but I think it’s going to be tough. With what you are going to use it for you might be lucky to put 50 hours a year on it. At that rate it will take you awhile to add on hours. I would not be scared of a machine with a few more hours if it seems well maintained. You could have a catastrophic component failure in about any of them regardless of hours. I own lots of big farm equipment and know things do happen even if well maintained.

Might be best to settle for a decent higher houred one in your budget and then start saving up to buy the next one for if or when it fails.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 AM

My Case 1840 is over 20 years old, less than 1500 hours on the machine.. They are out there
Old 11-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
My Case 1840 is over 20 years old, less than 1500 hours on the machine.. They are out there
Yes they are out there. But is yours for sale? I doubt it.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:34 AM

Two winters ago I was looking around on Kijiji and seen what looked like a clean J.D. 333D for sale with 2500 hours, 20k. Thought it was a good deal at the time. Guess it probably was.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Yes they are out there. But is yours for sale? I doubt it.
I have often thought about purchasing a larger one, my capacity is 1400 lbs and I have found there are times I need more.

Having all the attachments, finishing/digging/snow buckets, pallet forks and auger attachments, its a tough decision as replacing would cost a bloody fortune these days.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I actually nearly bought an 1840 with 1900 hrs on it in pretty decent shape and the seller was looking for $10,500. Idle sounded a tad rough so I passed on it. I’ve now been looking for an 1845C but they are pretty few and far in between.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I actually nearly bought an 1840 with 1900 hrs on it in pretty decent shape and the seller was looking for $10,500. Idle sounded a tad rough so I passed on it. I’ve now been looking for an 1845C but they are pretty few and far in between.
I have no complaints about mine, other than capacity...
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I have no complaints about mine, other than capacity...
Yeah hence why I have been looking for the 1845C primarily, just for that extra 350 lbs op capacity. Heard lots of good stuff about them--I guess they use the same engines that Case put in their full sized backhoes so they don't get worked too hard.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah hence why I have been looking for the 1845C primarily, just for that extra 350 lbs op capacity. Heard lots of good stuff about them--I guess they use the same engines that Case put in their full sized backhoes so they don't get worked too hard.
There is a 1999 Case 1845C for sale in Stony Plain on Kijiji for $15500 has 4800hrs on it check out the ad it has some new parts recently.

Also there is a 1989 Case 1845C in Yorkton, Sk on Kijiji for $13000 has 2274hrs on it.

Last edited by Greatwest; 11-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
There is a 1999 Case 1845C for sale in Stony Plain on Kijiji for $15500 has 4800hrs on it check out the ad it has some new parts recently.

Also there is a 1989 Case 1845C in Yorkton, Sk on Kijiji for $13000 has 2274hrs on it.
I actually looked at that one in Stony Plain, was one of the reasons I made this thread. 4800 hrs on a machine seems like a ton, and especially for over $15,000.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:23 PM

My local fertilizer dealer swears by those Case machines that they are the ones to buy because they are reliable and easy to work on. If it looks to be in good shape I would not be scared of those hours.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:22 PM

Case dealers figure cost is about 30 buck an hour for the 80 hp unit. Just ran one back filling a basement. It was for filling the dump wagon.

Used a Terrex PT30? for the tight work. Worked really well. We rented it and it was about 34/hr rent as well as fuel. It had the extra hydraulics as well as tracks. Only had 1550 hrs on it and they would take $21k for it. It is not as big as what you want for sure but you could clean up a lot snow in a hurry with it in a tight area. I had one spot that was about 48 inches to go thru every time and it zipped in there no problem.

Story on it was it came from the City of Edmonton and the Storyland Zoo.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:58 PM

You should be able to get something for under $20,000 and under 2000. hrs if you are patient. I would also want it to be no older than 2001 and I would not want a machine with over 5000 hours myself. The lower hour units are usually machines that have been bought new by farmers/ ranchers and kept around for many years. Estate sales are good places to be looking for equipment and if you want a good idea on pricing/ hours look in Ritchie bros. auction results. Those prices would be tops of what i would want to be paying. Last skid steer I bought had 124 hrs on it and it was 8 years old. Rancher bought it for cleaning a couple corals near Maycroft. They are out there.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:46 PM

Well I think about this very differently. Most owners(farmers,acreage)
Don't care for their equipment very good, not in comparison to lets say a company or a rental company. Yes a company or rental company machine might get used a bit harder, but for us(rentals) we grease and clean each machine each time it comes back(out for 4 hrs or 2weeks) can most owners say the same? We do all the repairs, exactly as laid out from the manufacture. Valve sets, synthetic oil, and change all the filters each change, can most farmer say the same?
After being a HD mechanic for many years I can say I would never even consider buying a used skidsteer from a farmer or the vast majority of owners. You would be honestly better off buying one from Richie Bros,
Buy a good used one from a dealer, or if you know a honest rental company(sure there are shady ones to avoid), that is selling one, buy that one, most will give you every service record as well. Most rental shops sell there's at around 2500hrs, only a few years old.
My brother has a Bobcat S185 with 6500hrs on it, he has not maintained it hardly at all, but it still runs, now it is not in great shape, as the regular maintenance has not been done when it should have.
We have over 30 units and the only high hour units are our yard machines.
I cant have old equipment as no one wants to rent a old machine, that why I trade them in when they get to about 2500hrs. Certainly not because they are wore out.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Well I think about this very differently. Most owners(farmers,acreage)
Don't care for their equipment very good, not in comparison to lets say a company or a rental company. Yes a company or rental company machine might get used a bit harder, but for us(rentals) we grease and clean each machine each time it comes back(out for 4 hrs or 2weeks) can most owners say the same? We do all the repairs, exactly as laid out from the manufacture. Valve sets, synthetic oil, and change all the filters each change, can most farmer say the same?
After being a HD mechanic for many years I can say I would never even consider buying a used skidsteer from a farmer or the vast majority of owners. You would be honestly better off buying one from Richie Bros,
Buy a good used one from a dealer, or if you know a honest rental company(sure there are shady ones to avoid), that is selling one, buy that one, most will give you every service record as well. Most rental shops sell there's at around 2500hrs, only a few years old.
My brother has a Bobcat S185 with 6500hrs on it, he has not maintained it hardly at all, but it still runs, now it is not in great shape, as the regular maintenance has not been done when it should have.
We have over 30 units and the only high hour units are our yard machines.
I cant have old equipment as no one wants to rent a old machine, that why I trade them in when they get to about 2500hrs. Certainly not because they are wore out.
How true. The hobby welding done by most farmers on equipment is also priceless.
I have a Case 1840 with 5100 hrs. Neat unit and more than enough for my needs. Love the sound of the Cummins motor and they last like forever.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:24 PM

I bought a 2000 case 1845c with heated cab a few years back with 3400hours for 13grand. I put around $1500 bringing it back up to snuff including paint and decals. I bought all oem parts from rme and the partsman there said his dad has 2 of them in his tank and field company and they both have over 14000 hours and just won’t die. What I like about the case 1845c is the Cummins engine and that they are all mechanical. Only electrical is your warning panel, fuel gauge and headlights. I can work on everything on the machine and don’t need a computer. Grease and oil are your cheapest preventative maintenance.

Last edited by Johnnyg313; 11-07-2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Information
Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 AM

If you think you would like to find a Case 1845, (they are great machines) also search for Case XT series, I have a late 1990's 90XT and it is great. It has the Cummins engine and very little of the electrical crap that seems to give so much trouble. It has a few safety switches that give people grief at times but that is about it. Mine had 3500 hrs when I got it, I considered that pretty low, apparently those engines can go 8-9000 no problem. It will take me the rest of my life to get it there.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:48 AM

Are these skid steers built poorly or just killed with neglect? We don’t run skid steers so it’s very possible they’re not built to the same standard I’m used to but we’ve got about 15 Komatsu loaders that have 15-20,000 hours a piece on them. Amongst them we’ve done one hydraulic pump and two engines and a couple of turbos but most engines get a turbo around the 12k hour mark regardless. All that said for the most part they’ve been very reliable.
I’ve got to agree with the previous post regarding maintenance. From my experience I’ll spend my money on used and maintained vs low hours and forgotten about. 3-5k hours on any heavy equipment I’ve run is peanuts if it’s taken care of. I’ve seen 60 series Detroit’s go 50k hours between rebuilds and one of my rigs is running a Perkins genset that’s closing in on 70,000 hours.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:48 AM

I bought a bobcat 853 a few years ago for 15 grand. Worked great when I tested it but after about 20 minutes you couldn’t steer it straight or anything. Super gutless. After $10000 at bobcat of edmo ton it was still the same. Traded it in on a new John Deere and they sent it to auction. So my advice is whatever you buy private, test if hard for a good hour. Prices have skyrocketed it the last few years.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
I bought a bobcat 853 a few years ago for 15 grand. Worked great when I tested it but after about 20 minutes you couldn’t steer it straight or anything. Super gutless. After $10000 at bobcat of edmo ton it was still the same. Traded it in on a new John Deere and they sent it to auction. So my advice is whatever you buy private, test if hard for a good hour. Prices have skyrocketed it the last few years.
Seriously! Ouch man. Brutal. One guy I met was telling a similar story. Had an older Case skid steer and one day the bucket started lifting up slow. Spent not much less than 5 figures at a dealer while they tried cheap bandaid fixes and the problem kept coming back...
Old 11-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Well thought I had gotten a deal until I didn’t. 98 John Deere 5575 with 3200 hrs in good shape with heated enclosed cab, agreed on $11,500 and sent a $500 deposit. Said I could come pick it up today—Guy says he is using it for a last few things and I can pick it up Sunday. Then a couple hours later says sorry something came up and he cannot meet the obligations of our deal and sent me my deposit back.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Well thought I had gotten a deal until I didn’t. 98 John Deere 5575 with 3200 hrs in good shape with heated enclosed cab, agreed on $11,500 and sent a $500 deposit. Said I could come pick it up today—Guy says he is using it for a last few things and I can pick it up Sunday. Then a couple hours later says sorry something came up and he cannot meet the obligations of our deal and sent me my deposit back.

Sounds like he was waiting on a better offer and it ended up getting it.

Sucks!! Something better will come up. Be patient.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Agreed, but weirdest part was I said I'd pay his asking price (as it was a real fair price). Ken messaged him and apparently some guy was coming with $500 less than his asking price to buy it. No idea what the hell that was all about.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:54 AM

If I were you, I would talk to one of the rental outfits an find out at what point they get rid of their equipment.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:48 AM

Too bad.

Maybe buddy was paying with cash or something.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:53 PM

Well, bought one today. Case 445. Has higher hours at 4500 but in very nice shape and well maintained. Was used by a self storage company to move snow for the past 10 years. Here is hoping it is not too much of a headache.