Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 PM

Default curious about crossbows

Hello,
My friend has been talking about hunting so much that now I'm itching to get into it. Other than pushing bush for my dads friends when I was young, never really done any hunting. Took a hunter safety course when I was 13.

My friend talks about hunting a fair bit, and his real passion is bow hunting. It sounds pretty fun, how you have to get close, be quiet, really be aware and make sure a shot taken is going to be the right shot.

However, I'm not an experienced hunter, or archer, and I was looking at cross bows in the store today and I think they look very cool, and I really liked the way they felt when I put one to my shoulder.

Is there any large issues against cross bow hunting? My friend thought there is more regulations on them than bow hunting, but less than rifles. Do they have firearm registration requirements like guns do? Are they actually easier to shoot than a bow? WOuld I just be better off with a bow? Or spend time hunting with a rifle first? I have to say, never been too interested in rifle hunting before, once I heard about archery hunting and had it described, I thought it sounded very exciting.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc View Post
Hello,
My friend has been talking about hunting so much that now I'm itching to get into it. Other than pushing bush for my dads friends when I was young, never really done any hunting. Took a hunter safety course when I was 13.

My friend talks about hunting a fair bit, and his real passion is bow hunting. It sounds pretty fun, how you have to get close, be quiet, really be aware and make sure a shot taken is going to be the right shot.

However, I'm not an experienced hunter, or archer, and I was looking at cross bows in the store today and I think they look very cool, and I really liked the way they felt when I put one to my shoulder.

Is there any large issues against cross bow hunting? My friend thought there is more regulations on them than bow hunting, but less than rifles. Do they have firearm registration requirements like guns do? Are they actually easier to shoot than a bow? WOuld I just be better off with a bow? Or spend time hunting with a rifle first? I have to say, never been too interested in rifle hunting before, once I heard about archery hunting and had it described, I thought it sounded very exciting.
No large issue, although you can only use them in a primative weapons area or during the rifle season. You don't have to register them. Yea, I feel they are easier to shoot but bows are not that difficult. A bow takes longer to get used to but they are extremely fun. Alberta s the envy of the world as far as bowhunting goes. I think you should drop by a proshop and try a bow for yourself, I think you will be impressed. Once you buy one try a 3D archery shoot and you will be hooked for life.

Last edited by wctbowtech; 04-06-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM

...........and crossbows are gay...................

Oops, thinking out loud again.
Nah, I'm just kiddin. But like was said stop by JIMBOWs or something. Give a compound a try and get the details on the regulations for hunting. A bow gives you much more time in the bush for hunting and it is like nothing you've ever experienced.