Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Default first bow kill today

well finally got out with my new bow that i bought before xmas and have been dying to shoot outside here is what i learned today took a couple of shots at a gopher 12yrds miss then i finally got him ..my boy now nick named me "vlad the inpailer" it was cool i have not been that excited in many years i killed something .
next l learned that you dont shoot at a gopher with a slough behind him guess where the arrow went i got the next one good .
next i learned don't shoot at gophers on the gravel roads the road is to hard and the arrow will go sailing off in to the wild blue yonder. by this time im thinking that i should have put on my judo points but really a person can't lose that many arrows can they??
next gopher i hit looked good stuck though it so it can't get down the hole i went to pick it up well i guess if you shoot a gopher in the guts they won't die i found out there i am chasing this dam gopher around trying to get my arrow well now the kid joins in still chasing and im running i didn't let the dog go for fear of an arrow in the eye by now the gopher has tore and chewed the fletching ok i still can get the arrow we are still chasing this thing around finally i catch it stepping on the arrow breaking it just below the fletching ok now comes out the judo points and some new arrows i'm ready now shoot at the next gopher missed twang goes the arrow i figured those wires were supose to stop the arrow and bounce well fifty some odd yrds later i find a knock tip just sticking out of a snow bank dido on the next shot . well im not so convinced on those judos but i guess i did not lose it either .so four gopher three bow one .22 and three lost arrows half tank of gas , half pack of smokes looking for the arrows drinks still an afternoon with my boy and dog and getting that good feeling from my first bow kill it was all worth it
Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Trev
Sounds like you had a great day for the first time out with the bow. Good luck with the up and coming bow season.
Gramps
Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM

hey trev i lost 15 arrows in a day once..and judos dont really help. i found two things help.

1- i think there called flew-flew arrows with the big flights it slows them down a bit but the big flight really stand out.

2- if you can find the string leads. they attach to your knock and when you release the arrow a orange string spools out and you can follow it to where your arrow is.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:11 PM

I've not been a big fan of judo's for a long time, I like the rubber blunts better for small game. One thing that I found that helped me finding my arrows was dipping them with white paint making the arrows a lot more visible and easier to find. They've come a ways since then, now you can buy wraps that accomplish the same thing.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 PM

will those judos actually penatrate a gopher??? my thinking on the judos was as soon as they hit it would grab and bounce and it would be only a few feet away but after reading some other posts i see they are a promblem like that but i guess they will help. white paint willl be a good idea for summer not very good in the snow right now. i'm hoping to remember where abouts i shoot and see if i can find them in a couple of weeks. i guess i have to be better shot but from what i was doing today i can't get much closer without actually hitting them.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev.357 View Post
will those judos actually penatrate a gopher??? my thinking on the judos was as soon as they hit it would grab and bounce and it would be only a few feet away but after reading some other posts i see they are a promblem like that but i guess they will help. white paint willl be a good idea for summer not very good in the snow right now. i'm hoping to remember where abouts i shoot and see if i can find them in a couple of weeks. i guess i have to be better shot but from what i was doing today i can't get much closer without actually hitting them.
Oh yeah...........judo's will penetrate and pass right through.........dragging intestine out through the other side. I don't like them on grouse either..........pass right through making an awful hole in the breast and pushing feathers in along the way.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev.357 View Post
will those judos actually penatrate a gopher?
the rubber blunts will, only there isn't any wire to hold on the innards.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 PM

My brother and i have shot 12 gophers this year all with judos. If you hit them in the head judo will crush the skull and kill the gopher very quickly and if you hit them anywhere else the judos will go right through them. the easiest way to get the arrow back through is to unscrew the judo and pull just the arrow back through then put the point back on. i will try to take some pictures off my phone and upload them for you guys to see.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 PM

i guess i might have to go out again this week end twist my rubber arm and try again with those judos i just can see them going through i hope they will be that good .