Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Rifle Scope problems.

As the title says, I'm having rifle scope problems.

I usually work out such issues on my own but this time I wondered if it would help to have some input from guys who shoot a lot more then I do.

As some might remember I've been working up a load for a 218 Bee that I inherited.
The gun came to me, well used and with only Iron sights but drilled for scope mounting.

So I bought a budget Simmons scope for it and did a bit of shooting with it and the new scope.
I was not at all happy with the outcome of those first shots so I put the rifle aside thinking I would correct the problem with handloads later on.
I thought the issue was the factory ammo I was using. Partially because there was only one load offered.

So I've been testing loads and everything seemed okay with the setup but not the reloads. Or maybe I didn't notice that I wasn't hitting the target in any sort of predictable pattern. I wasn't really trying that hard to hit the target, I was much more concerned with the pressure signs I was getting

Well the last round of testing I did see that most of my shots hit high and to the left about three inches.

So I adjusted the scope eight clicks to the right. The next three shots hit two inches to the right. So I back it off four clicks and test again.
This time it hits right off the paper, and to the right.

Gotta be the scope right?

This has happened to me before, but with older scopes, this one is practiaclly new and mounted on a very light kicking rifle.
Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I got a dud.

Problem is, now what. A new scope, but how do I avoid it happening all over again.

I suspect I know the answers, new scope and buy a much more expensive one this time. But maybe I am missing something.
It's not like I have a ton of experiance with scopes or scopes failing.

Sure I have had four fail for no apperant reason, but all were lower priced units and from four different companies. One was a Tasco, one a Bushnell one a Mauser and this one, a Simmons.

Meanwhile I have two very old Weavers that just never loose zero. So is it the low priced scopes or something I'm not aware of.

Any of you 1,000 rounds a year guys have any ideas?

George Bernard Shaw