Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

Default where to start?

im interested in buying a bow.. would like to use it for targets, and eventually gophers and rabbits. and possibly larger stuff in the future.

i had a play with one at the bass pro shop today.. one of their own brand ones. seemed ok.. but i know nothing about them..

it had a 70lb draw, which was ok... the guy said 70lbs is basically full power. is this true? i was surprised i could pull it at that weight. im sure i read you need to start lower and work up. but it felt pretty easy...

whats a good option for a first bow? i guess a used one would be good to get me started..

obviously i would need arrows.. is there anything specific to know about them? anything else I'd need to get? at bass pro i used a little trigger type thing with a wrist strap...

so where to start? thanks
Scott (the person with no bow knowledge!)
Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 PM

Most new bows these days are relatively easy to draw with the high percentage let off in them.

good option for a first bow would the bow that fits you to your liking! This would mean going to the local archery shops and test shooting they bows they have available. From there you can determine which of the bows shoot better for. Some guys like dual cams, some guyys like single cams with large idler wheels. All a matter of preference and comfort. You can Check out calgary archery center( never been there but chances are i wont due to some poor customer service given to friends and family members),

Jimbows.. been there and will go back they have a good selection and willl defenitly help you find what your looking for in regards to the bow itself and arrows and anything else you need or have questions for.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
Most new bows these days are relatively easy to draw with the high percentage let off in them.

good option for a first bow would the bow that fits you to your liking! This would mean going to the local archery shops and test shooting they bows they have available. From there you can determine which of the bows shoot better for. Some guys like dual cams, some guyys like single cams with large idler wheels. All a matter of preference and comfort. You can Check out calgary archery center( never been there but chances are i wont due to some poor customer service given to friends and family members),

Jimbows.. been there and will go back they have a good selection and willl defenitly help you find what your looking for in regards to the bow itself and arrows and anything else you need or have questions for.
X2, go to Jimbow's. He will definetly help you out. They have a great selection of bows and will get you sighted in perfect. Check him out
Old 03-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
X2, go to Jimbow's. He will definetly help you out. They have a great selection of bows and will get you sighted in perfect. Check him out
ok, thats fine. but i would ideally like to buy used to save a bit of cash...

so i wouldnt like to go to a smaller store and use their time to measure me up and stuff only to buy elsewhere...

hence asking here what is a good set up to get started..

thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
ok, thats fine. but i would ideally like to buy used to save a bit of cash...

so i wouldnt like to go to a smaller store and use their time to measure me up and stuff only to buy elsewhere...

hence asking here what is a good set up to get started..

thanks
These bow shops have used bows as well.... It still best to go to a bow shop and figure out your basics... such as how long your draw is...Considering like your said your self you have very limited knowledge.....

The Wrist strap trigger thingy is a mechanical release thers a few different types of those too

Last edited by munyee4321; 03-28-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 PM

yeah, like munyee said, Stores have used bows aswell. And that trigger thingy is a realease. Good luck on getting started,
Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 PM

First thing you need to determine is if your a right or left handed shooter. Next your dominant eye. Next your draw length. If you dont determine these three things first.... Nothing else will work. As everyone said, get your butt into a bow shop and let them size you. No cost for that and only takes 2 minutes. After that you can buy new or used bow. Your arrows will be determined by your draw length and draw weight. I would always suggest to buy new arrows, not used. That way you know where they have been and what they have gone through
Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 PM

X 3 on Jimbows.
he has used bows. As a matter of fact I think he has a pretty decent used Bowtech on his shelf, but the thing is, You are doubtfully going to save a huge chunk of cash by buying used.
By buying used, you are buying older technology unless it is pretty much brand new. There is nothing wrong with the older bows as they did the trick in their time but for a little more dollars you will be alot more satisfied IMO. Not to mention buying used USUALLY means, not fully equiped. Rest, sights, quiver(not a neccessity), stabilizer, etc. There are some good started packs out there. The PSE stinger, The bowtech Tomkat, Diamond has some nice starter bow too. Often times as well these packages come will 4-6 arrows.

As far as draw goes. Legally you only need 40lbs to hunt big game, so that being said, it is not neccessary to pull 70. If you can repeatedly do so comfortably by all means, but keep in mind you wanna be able to shoot 60 +- (just my #, some shoot more, some shoot less)arrows when you practice.

My 2 cents. The main thing.....have fun.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Default Where to start?

Make that 4 for Jim Bows. He will set you straight on what you need to get started and he won't sell you something you don't need. He can walk you through the used equipmeny and new stuff and you can decide what is right for you. As said above what ever you decide on and wherever you ened up going, have fun!!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 PM

I hate to be repetitive but....Jim Bow's is the way too go
Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 PM

I'll toss my recommendation in for the boys at the Calgary Archery Centre......huge selection and guys that know what they're talking about.....

JimBows is great as well no doubt, so not taking anything away from them, just giving another option to check out.....
Old 03-29-2009, 07:18 PM

calgary archery centre for sure!

lots of stuff in there and the guys know there stuff
Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 PM

Default X5 for Jimbows

Jimbow's is the best for service, his advice and knowledge is the best in the city, plus he still shoots and compete's, and always finish very high in competitions. He is the only guy i know that would rather make sure you have what's right for you than sell you something that might not work like some other stores. Used bows are plenty there and some great deals on new as well. The biggest diffrence for me between stores was how at some other places were very clicky and rude to inexpirenced archers, where jimmy and staff always went out of there way to explain and re explain, made me feel very comfortable always.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM

I also may get into this sport and am looking for a cheap, good 30-60# bow.
Brandon