Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 AM

Default Rage broadheads

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone uses Rage mechanical broadheads? How do you guys like them? To me they sure do the job, because after watching some youtube videos of them all I can say is WOW! they make a huge hole.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 AM

I like them as gopher heads otherwise that not good for much else ...... maybe if your tree stand hunting or blind hunting these would be good.. Spot and stalk which i do 90% no go... blades are to touch open to easily.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:09 AM

You like them as gopher broadheads. LOL there would ble like nothing left.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:49 PM

I have heard that the rage heads break blades morer often than not...They have some nice entrance/exit wounds though...blood trailing would be a joy.

For my money Grim Reapers..pretty durable and on every bh test out there I have read they score better than the Rage heads..

they are a conventional front open bh though..

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:35 AM

Default All the "Rage"!

shot my bull elk @ 22yrds with the 2 blade rage. called him in on the ground. found him dead @ 100yrds. Huge hole. no complaints from me.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:43 PM

2 blade rages are awesome. They don't hold up too well on bone front what I've heard. Nonetheless, the double lung shot should not include bone. Heavier game (elk, moose, bison) its possible a rib could interfere ... but for deer, antelope they are great.

Massive holes, lots of damage, easy tracking.

The 3 blades have problems opening.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
You like them as gopher broadheads. LOL there would ble like nothing left.

And the problem with that is?????? what is your plan for gophers, dinner?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
2 blade rages are awesome. They don't hold up too well on bone front what I've heard. Nonetheless, the double lung shot should not include bone. Heavier game (elk, moose, bison) its possible a rib could interfere ... but for deer, antelope they are great.

Massive holes, lots of damage, easy tracking.

The 3 blades have problems opening.

I'm not sure about yourself, but I dont believe in carry multiple different broadheads. I prefer to have one type that is good for all game. So far, My spitfires have taken down moose, deer and bear. I'd say they will be just fine for all North American Big Game. If you dont feel your broad head is enough for everything your hunting, then I'd say they are not good enough, Period.

JMO
Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
I'm not sure about yourself, but I dont believe in carry multiple different broadheads. I prefer to have one type that is good for all game. So far, My spitfires have taken down moose, deer and bear. I'd say they will be just fine for all North American Big Game. If you dont feel your broad head is enough for everything your hunting, then I'd say they are not good enough, Period.

JMO
Well then we respectfully disaggree. I took down a moose with the 2 blade rages so they are 'good enoug'. I have just heard their can be problems with bone. Not sure if they meant ribs and/or shoulder/leg bones. Personally, I've never had a problem with them.

Honestly, I bought the rages cause of all the hype and good marketing material about them. I tried them all 2008 and had 3 kills with them - all deadly blood trails (and one a not so perfect shot). However, mechanicals introduce one more thing that can go wrong, so if I can get a fixed blade to shoot straight at 50 meters in the wind, I'd rather use them. Having said that, for treestand deer hunting - I'll be sticking with the 2 blade rages because of the massive cutting diameter and easy blood trails. I'd hate to loose an animal when I put the arrow right where I wanted to.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 PM

Last edited by TreeGuy; 03-23-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: PWG (Posting While Grumpy)
Old 03-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Well then we respectfully disaggree. I took down a moose with the 2 blade rages so they are 'good enoug'. I have just heard their can be problems with bone. Not sure if they meant ribs and/or shoulder/leg bones. Personally, I've never had a problem with them.

Honestly, I bought the rages cause of all the hype and good marketing material about them. I tried them all 2008 and had 3 kills with them - all deadly blood trails (and one a not so perfect shot). However, mechanicals introduce one more thing that can go wrong, so if I can get a fixed blade to shoot straight at 50 meters in the wind, I'd rather use them. Having said that, for treestand deer hunting - I'll be sticking with the 2 blade rages because of the massive cutting diameter and easy blood trails. I'd hate to loose an animal when I put the arrow right where I wanted to.
And the most important part of all of this is being happy with what you are using. Everyone here has an opinion and a choice. Someone else I'm sure thinks we're both out to lunch, and thats fine. I was just offering my thoughts, I am in no place to try and change anyones opinion. In all honesty I'm sure the rages will do just fine. If they are still on the shelf and selling, then who am I to argue that.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Oh, and just to let you know, I dont think any broadhead is going to cut through a leg bone..... Well, not a moose anyway. If anything the bone will shatter, but your broadhead...consider it toast. As for ribs, I cant see any broadhead not being able to penatrate/break, unless the poundage is too low.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, and just to let you know, I dont think any broadhead is going to cut through a leg bone..... Well, not a moose anyway. If anything the bone will shatter, but your broadhead...consider it toast. As for ribs, I cant see any broadhead not being able to penatrate/break, unless the poundage is too low.
Had a hunter shoot a 50lb bowtec alligence using rocket mini blasters 75 grainers... at a bear it did not penetrate the bears rib at 20yards. lots of power with the poundage and speed... not heavy enough head did not pentrate.... it lodged in the rib and stuck..Was recovred 3 days later when the hunters partner shot the bear same set up but with 100 grain rages.... (Not that im all for the rages infact as mentioned i used my for gophers thats about it maybe coyotes if i get a chance.... but they to work good while tree stand hunting or blind hunting)
Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
thunder head, both shoulders of a moose 80lb blackknight.broadhead was still in shootable shape
Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ca View Post
thunder head, both shoulders of a moose 80lb blackknight.broadhead was still in shootable shape
In the shoulder through the thin part (Scapula)? Or through the thick heavy leg part?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 PM

right in the main joint of the the thick leg where it meets the shoulder blade aka (scapula)
Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ca View Post
right in the main joint of the the thick leg where it meets the shoulder blade aka (scapula)
Well, Then I guess its possible, but I think that is a rare occurance.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:57 PM

u should seewhat that does to a white tail,525 grain arrow at 80lb whitetails dont even move ,only when they hit the ground