Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 PM

Default Will field points do the job?

hey guys, Just wondering for this summer. I'm gonna be shooting gophers and wondering if field points with do the job?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Yes, but you might loose a few arrows. When just using field points your arrow may skip along the ground for along distance or they may dig into the ground causing lost or broken arrows. I would suggest a judo point, the ittle arms grab the grass and dirt and stop the arrow fairly quick.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM

they sure will get the job done... but they tend to ricochet sometimes if your shooting a far ways and the ground is relativly flat and you end up with a lost arrow... something like judos, blunts or g5 sgh will help prevent this ( still happens but not as often). I always carry atleas one field point in my quiver for gophers cause sometimes when a gopher is just sticking his head out of the hole enough to see to top of his head i use a field point and drive the arrow through the ground and into the gophers head or neck.

Last edited by munyee4321; 03-20-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
hey guys, Just wondering for this summer. I'm gonna be shooting gophers and wondering if field points with do the job?

Thanks
They will work but if you can get judo points they work really good,you won't loose your arrows as easy. for the claws help grab the grass and stop your arrow from digging in the ground making it almost impossible to find. just my thoughts though. good luck it is great practice.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanks a lot guys, might have to go pick some up tomorrow. I really appreciate the help.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 PM

I am all for the Judo points. I used to lose arrows when I was a wee lad shooting at gophers with field tips. I've heard of people putting a washer on before they screw the tip in. I've never tried it but I heard it helps alot. There are a few guys on youtube that use this method for hunting rabbits.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
I am all for the Judo points. I used to lose arrows when I was a wee lad shooting at gophers with field tips. I've heard of people putting a washer on before they screw the tip in. I've never tried it but I heard it helps alot. There are a few guys on youtube that use this method for hunting rabbits.
When I was young, I soldered washers onto the tips of my field pints, they worked well - until I discovered judo heads!!
Cat
Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Problem with judos though is getting the furr and guts off the points
Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 PM

I brought a 3 pack of G5 Small game head (100 grain) from Lane archery in Lethbridge for like $29. I found them to fly very good just like a field point. The impact on the gopher was major. Plus like others have said it will kick up when you miss, so you are less likely to lose your arrow.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 AM

What about those big rubber blunts? Has anyone tried them on gophers?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 AM

I used blunts for gophers and geese as a kid. Worked just fine but judos would be better.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post

Thanks
Yes but blunts are better. I use the Martin B533's, they're 80 grains and fly about the same as a field point til about 30-35 yds. Great yardage practice.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Whoa hold your horses - I disagree guys - field points as in the points like for normal target use? If those are the ones I would not recommend them for shooting ground hogs. Are gophers bigger than groundhogs? are they same thing?

When I was a kid (about 12 or so) I had 5 field points stuck into a ground hog and it still wasn't dead, it wouldn't die - I wont go into the details but I did finally finish it off.

I would recommend adder points (similar to a broad head)

If your allowed to hunt groundhogs with adder points that would be my choice - here a link to them if you've never seen them. I really like the concept of them.

http://i34.tinypic.com/16mlgx.jpg
Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Whoa hold your horses - I disagree guys - field points as in the points like for normal target use? If those are the ones I would not recommend them for shooting ground hogs. Are gophers bigger than groundhogs? are they same thing?

When I was a kid (about 12 or so) I had 5 field points stuck into a ground hog and it still wasn't dead, it wouldn't die - I wont go into the details but I did finally finish it off.

If your allowed to hunt groundhogs with adder points that would be my choice - here a link to them if you've never seen them. I really like the concept of them.

Gophers are quite a bit smaller than groundhogs I think, field points are alright for shootin them only problem is you'll lose more arrows
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Gophers are quite a bit smaller then ground hogs. Field points work fine but like everyone they skip and and dig deep causing lost arrows. Those gamestars you mention work fine as well i used them for a while, they are hell to clean out the gut and to pull the gopher off the arrows.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Ground hogs, hoary marmots, whistle pigs, woodchucks, whatever, are WAY bigger than a gopher, Richardson round squierrel, *&%^! prairie dog!!
FWIW, whenever I DO get the chance to hunt woodchucks, I have ALWAYS used a broadhead - they are a tough critter and a field pint or for that matter anything bit a sharp broadhead is not what I would choose.

Cat