Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 09:24 PM

Default Pellet Grills

Hey guys,

Looking for opinions and help on Pellet grills. Thinking of purchasing one in the future but don’t know where to start. Some of the new Traegers look pretty cool but I remember seeing some old posts that the quality isn’t as good as some other brands. Is there a wholesaler around the Calgary area that is knowledgeable? What is everyone’s opinions and experiences? What other brands are better? Wifi function worth it?

I’d be looking to cook/smoke pretty much everything. Steak, Brisket, chicken, fish, veggies etc. I like the idea of one that can sear as far as I understand the traegers don’t have this function?

Thanks for any responses!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:27 PM

I don’t have one but my brother has 2 traegers . He’s had real good luck and quite pleased with them.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 PM

I have a Traegar that is 10-12 years old?

I’ve been quite happy with it. It’s a pretty basic one, no sear function. Not sure if that’s available on newer or more elaborate models.

For me, searing isn’t something that you do when smoking anyway. 🤷🏼*♂️

Lots of manufacturers out there these days, shop around.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:57 PM

I have had a Traeger now for a month. its a 575pro or something like that. and all I can say is WOW
I haven't done much but what I have done is amazing. it does not have the sear function like someone mentioned earlier but honestly don't really care. I like the smoke flavor induced into the meat. I did full size Elk ribs the other day and the only thing I would do different is not use so big of ribs.

if you don't get one that hooks up to wifi at least get a remote meat probe saves opening the grill numerous times

good luck
Old 01-14-2020, 10:06 PM

New Traegers pale in comparison to the old ones. They are entirely made in China now and riding off the Traeger name. Not worth the money in my opinion. If you really want a traeger find a lightly used one a few years old.

The cream of the crop is Yoder smokers. Hard to find and pricey, but I’ve ogled them a few times and they are built like tanks. Too rich for my blood though.

Rec-Tec makes a fine smoker as well, cheaper than the Yoder built with thinner steel but plenty enough for a home cook. I’m saving my shekels for one right now. Looking to pull the trigger next summer.

If you are looking at a cheaper price point, I really like Pit Boss smokers. My buddy has their first model of pellet smoker and we have beat the snot out of that thing and it just keeps going. We take it camping multiple times a summer and have done a few bbq comps with it. It’s a great unit, although it’s light on modern features, it just burns pellets and works. I’ve got the pit boss kamado smoker and love it.

Whatever you get, try to store it in your garage or shed. The electronics on pellet grills aren’t very durable when left outside in the elements, even with a cover.

I wouldn’t spend the cash for wifi on a smoker, but I have a Bluetooth thermometer that alerts me when I hit temp. It’s easier to replace a thermometer when it dies than something integral to the smoker itself.

Oh and as for searing, look up Alton Brown’s method of searing on a charcoal chimney. It’s cheap, quick, easy as well as being far hotter than anything you can get on a pellet grill.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:37 PM

Louisiana Hands down and have the sliding plate so you can sear a steak when done. I have one and loft, better built than a trager in my opinion,pm if you want anymore info

PIn
Old 01-15-2020, 05:02 AM

Ive got an older louisiana grill with a 10 rack offset on it they also make the pitboss models ..the sear function is awesome , love it ..would never buy a traeger
Old 01-15-2020, 06:02 AM

I found an older Traeger on facebook buy and sell. Paid 250 for it. I have since upgraded the controller to the pro controller. The old controller's display was screwed, and the odd time had some temperature fluctuations. The new controller cured all of that. So I've got 450 into it.

Also, pick yourself up a wireless thermometer. I've got a thermopro, and it makes smoking super easy. Set the temp you want, and forget about it.

But I must say out of everyone I know that has pellet grills, they are all traegers.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:12 AM

I’ve got a Green Mountain Davy Crockett.

It’s awesome. It’s small enough to throw in the back of the truck and take it with you. It gets up to 550F which is lots to sear a steak. Wifi control means I can adjust temp on it anywhere, and I can also monitor temps, including internal temp with the meat probe. I can get 2 racks of ribs and 2 chickens on beer cans in it. Big enough for anything I do.

If looking for a home setup, the Daniel Boone or Jim Bowie models are really nice. They are bigger like a normal BBQ so it’s great for big cooks.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:15 AM

If you're in Calgary, head over to Paradise Bay and take a look at their lineup of Green Mountain Grills. These compete favorably with Traegar.

I bought one in late 2018 and both my wife and I love it (I bought the Daniel Boone model). I enjoyed dealing with the group at Paradise Bay - they knew the product, many owned them personally, and gave me a few tips on pellet selection and maintenance too.

Very easy to use, clean, maintain. Results are fantastic. PM if you have any other questions.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:31 AM

I also have a Louisiana Grill (not the Chinese one) and it's been great. I have heard of the controller boards going on them, but so far so good.

I use the Weber iGrill Bluetooth thermometer to keep track of the temperature of the meat. It's especially good when cooking in the Winter, since you aren't opening the grill unnecessarily.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 AM
AO Sponsor

Another vote for the Louisiana... I have a couple years of hard service on mine and it does everything you are asking for. Will go up to 600 degrees for searing and the slide plate for flame exposure works! I just did a 20lb brisket and 11lb boston butt in -25 this past weekend and it held 225° all day long without a lick of trouble. My board did fail after one year but the sent me the new updated board overnight for free out of Edmonton and been perfect since.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-15-2020, 08:02 AM

I have no clue about Traeger but I know Your Local Ranch in Airdrie has them if you want to check them out.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
New Traegers pale in comparison to the old ones. They are entirely made in China now and riding off the Traeger name. Not worth the money in my opinion. If you really want a traeger find a lightly used one a few years old.

The cream of the crop is Yoder smokers. Hard to find and pricey, but I’ve ogled them a few times and they are built like tanks. Too rich for my blood though.

Rec-Tec makes a fine smoker as well, cheaper than the Yoder built with thinner steel but plenty enough for a home cook. I’m saving my shekels for one right now. Looking to pull the trigger next summer.

If you are looking at a cheaper price point, I really like Pit Boss smokers. My buddy has their first model of pellet smoker and we have beat the snot out of that thing and it just keeps going. We take it camping multiple times a summer and have done a few bbq comps with it. It’s a great unit, although it’s light on modern features, it just burns pellets and works. I’ve got the pit boss kamado smoker and love it.

Whatever you get, try to store it in your garage or shed. The electronics on pellet grills aren’t very durable when left outside in the elements, even with a cover.

I wouldn’t spend the cash for wifi on a smoker, but I have a Bluetooth thermometer that alerts me when I hit temp. It’s easier to replace a thermometer when it dies than something integral to the smoker itself.

Oh and as for searing, look up Alton Brown’s method of searing on a charcoal chimney. It’s cheap, quick, easy as well as being far hotter than anything you can get on a pellet grill.
Good point. I never really took the outside elements into consideration. I was hoping to leave it outside my walkout basement. it would be covered from snow/rain
Old 01-15-2020, 08:32 AM

Won a small Pit Boss 440 2 years ago in a grocery store contest at Calgary COOP.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/90628...e-pellet-grill

Pros- It was free
Quite reliable and has been used weekly year round.
No wifi-Which is how I like it. I own a grill to stand outside with it drinking wobbly pops .
Has sat uncovered since new and no controller issues as of yet.

Cons- Temperature controls are strange-goes up in 25 degree analog increments in some settings and 50 degree increments in other settings.
I don't understand why it can't go up uniformly in 5 or 10 degree increments.
This means I have to play with the P setting to get the temps I want for many recipes.
-Flame broiler plate is a pain to move and really just puts the food so close to the flame that any grill marks are obliterated. So I keep the plate closed.

Highest temp I have ever reached is 450F.

-Hopper is small and runs out every 4 -5 hours.
-auger is super loud and squeaky on cold start-up

Last edited by omega50; 01-15-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:39 AM

I have an older Cabelas model

Works great

Friend has a Traeger. She uses it a lot . No issues
Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 AM

I also have a Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett. It’s been great and when I accidentally knocked it off the bench grinder stand I use to elevate it, GMG was fantastic about sending new parts at no cost. I really like the features of the smoker. Wifi connectivity with iPhone, iPad so I can see from a distance what the smoker temperature is, food temperature is, change the temperature, set timers, set desired internal food temperature alarm. Great product!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:14 AM

I have a pit boss vertical smoker and I'm happy with it.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:10 AM

Another vote for Louisiana. Been using mine hard for nearly 3 years now. Sear slide is a great option that I wouldn't do without. Did have a controller start to go funky but was replaced no questions asked. If I had to get another grill today I'd get another Louisiana
Old 01-15-2020, 10:57 AM

I have a GMG and a Grilla Grill Silverbac. Both have their advantages, like most things depends on what you want to spend. for around $1100 you can get that Treager pro 575 that has been mentioned and that in my opinion is a very nice grill for the $. Also, forget about searing with any pellet grill, they just don't get hot enough no matter what they claim. Once you have one you'll see it's a different style of cooking and searing becomes less of importance, that's why you need a pellet and a charcoal!
Old 01-15-2020, 11:25 AM

I personally have a RecTec RT 700, RT 340 (at the lake) and a GMG Davey Crocket. I use the RecTec most of the time and have for years. The WIFI is awesome, I can control it from anywhere from my phone. (Example, I can turn it on when Im on my way home from work and its warmed up and ready to go when I get home. I can have something cooking and be away at kids hockey, baseball etc and know what the internals temps are on the meat, adjust temps up or down if need be and also shut it off if my meat is cooked and I'm out running errands) Very handy. RecTec is known for their customer service. Downside is they do not have dealers, you have to order direct from their factory in Atlanta Georgia but its a simple process. The little GMG works fine as well, but I much prefer the RecTec.
If you guys need any pellets for your grills, let me know, I have a bunch of Cookin Pellets Perfect Mix.

Regardless of the unit you purchase, Im sure you will be happy with the tasty food that you cook on it. I rarely use the gasser anymore.

Cheers,
CDN
Old 01-15-2020, 11:31 AM

I have the trager pro 780 I luv the thing, the wifi option is Awsome, I can check the level of my pellets adjust the temp, and monitor it from anywhere, when yer smoking for 8-10 hrs and you have errands to run you can still have the assurance that all is well, when I set mine at 180 there is maybe a 5 deg up or down difference, while it keeps a steady temp and that was at -20 last week.
The Texas beef pellets are awesome. Got mine at Rocky Mountain equipment in Balzac, they carry the most selection for Traeger supplies..mine sits outside with a cover, had it over a year now and it hasent skipped a beat.
Smoked baby back ribs are my fav on the trager...
Also the app will load a recipe, and change temps automatically if ya want.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:27 PM

I have a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boon. I have had it for almost 2 years, and its by far my preferred cooking method for whatever I am making. The WiFi option is something that people don't think they need until they have it. I can start the smoker and warm it up without getting off of the couch, and then I can go to the store or down the block for a few beers with the neighbor, and still be able to watch and adjust temperature of the grill as well as the IT of whatever I am cooking.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the comments guys!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:11 PM

This summer I bought a pit boss for $500 from The Grocery People ,on the yellow head in Edmonton,been really happy with it. Not fancy but it is reliable.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:01 AM

I'm looking at getting pellet grill. Think I will get the Weber Smoke Fire, will do 600F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRSdgBebvLY
Old 01-16-2020, 12:32 PM

Anyone have a Broil King? I have heard from a couple guys they are built real well and perform great. I believe they are more expensive, closer to price of a Traeger.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:45 PM

I’ve had a Traeger for 10-12 years. It sits out in the elements and never gives me trouble. I’ve been hoping that the controller would fail so I could replace it with the PRO controller but it doesn’t.

It was used this past weekend. It’s funny it just showed —- on its readout for likely 5-10 minutes after ignition where it finally read 17f.

My Traeger only gets to 450. If you use a cast skillet in it at 450 it sears just fine. I do reverse sears now anyways. Way better.

Traeger has dealers and support like no other. That being said I think LG is getting to have just about as large a dealer network.

I’d love a Yoder. But that’s a lot of money and doing research that high of heat isn’t really necessary.

I’m not surprised that the webers and char broils and napoleons are jumping on board. The pellet grill thing has taken off like crazy in the last 5ish years. Whatever you get you’ll be happy with it.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:11 PM

Bump
Old 07-05-2020, 09:24 PM

I got GMG DB in March and very happy with it. Picked up the pizza oven for it last week, can do pizza in 4 min.