Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 07:15 PM

Default Rock chips

Thanks to the red lifted dodge With the red alberta outdoorsmen stick on the Yellowhead and 156 st on Friday afternnon For the 2 rock chips in my car’s windshield.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:38 PM

Uh, ya just cant win by replying in any way to this thread....
Old 07-05-2020, 07:43 PM

Was it a dually? Did the paint look fresh?
Old 07-05-2020, 07:45 PM

send out an APB.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:54 PM

I'll fix 'em for 40.00
Old 07-05-2020, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Thanks to the red lifted dodge With the red alberta outdoorsmen stick on the Yellowhead and 156 st on Friday afternnon For the 2 rock chips in my car’s windshield.
Two rock chips? Thats all? Are there any vehicles in AB without chips or cracks on their windshields?
Old 07-05-2020, 10:50 PM

One of the issues we have is that although I'm pretty darn certain all vehicles that require mud flaps are required to have them installed. I think that's most trucks - lifted or not.

The requirement has something to do with the amount of tire exposed as opposed to cars or other vehicles which are covered by body panels and factory mud flaps yet this is not enforced.

Although my truck has flaps, I'm pretty sure they are not protecting all the rocks coming off my rear wheel - my boat is proof of that.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Two rock chips? Thats all? Are there any vehicles in AB without chips or cracks on their windshields?
my thoughts exactly!
Old 07-06-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
One of the issues we have is that although I'm pretty darn certain all vehicles that require mud flaps are required to have them installed. I think that's most trucks - lifted or not.

The requirement has something to do with the amount of tire exposed as opposed to cars or other vehicles which are covered by body panels and factory mud flaps yet this is not enforced.

Although my truck has flaps, I'm pretty sure they are not protecting all the rocks coming off my rear wheel - my boat is proof of that.

Law is the mud flaps are supposed to be no higher than mid way of the axle.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Other than having properly installed mud flaps, how can you expect anyone to be responsible for every rock that flies out of their tires? These are called road hazards, and if you share the road, you share the hazards. You may have unknowingly done the same to someone else.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:20 AM

So any rock chip is a road hazard and the OP should deal with it?

I'm not sure I'd agree.

If someone has proper mud flaps and a rock gets through, I would be less upset by taking one in the windshield.

But I'd be pretty upset if someone was wheel spinning, or lifting a truck and putting on over sizes tires sticking out the fenders and lifting it and had plenty of time or money to do that, but didn't bother re-installing mud flaps because they didn't look cool and he gave me a rock to the windshield - I have to tell you, there would be a 100% I am sending a picture of the back of his truck and his plate to the cops.

That's my opinion.

And, before you all the mopar, metal mulisha sticker, mirrors fully deployed crowd gets defensive and bent out of shape - please understand something …. my truck has a lift, I have taken a few rocks and not had an issue like this and I have installed larger flaps on my truck (but they are not perfect BUT they are there).
Old 07-06-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
This was my Monday morning laugh---if you are hoping for an intact windshield--you better move. I'm good for 1 a year. Don't buy a truck with all the fancy crap, then should be only about $250 for a new one.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:29 AM

Neat trick I taught my wife to save on windshields don’t tailgate and give extra space. It cuts down on rock chips and paint chips

But most seem to try and hump your bumper instead
Old 07-06-2020, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Neat trick I taught my wife to save on windshields don’t tailgate and give extra space. It cuts down on rock chips and paint chips

You can't keep distance, there is always some idiot who tries to sneak infront of you and spray you with gravel.
Mudflap won't help to protect windshield until there is gravel on the road. It is ... Alberta.
I imported 25 yrs old vehicle from Europe with original windshield. Not even single chip on it. After 10000km on AB roads the windshield is total trash.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:00 AM

Caught a boulder a week ago that came off a deck or judging by the trajectory it may have been off the payloader it was carrying. I saw it at the last few feet and at least 2-3 inches around. Hit the upper corner on the drivers side and if in the middle I'm sure we would be wearing glass etc. Bullseye cannot be seen from the inside but cracks emanated inward immediately. Pee off as I haven't hit 5000k yet on a 20 duramax. I didn't bother chasing as I am not as brave as I used to be and we were heading for an appointment. Truck I traded in (16) had no cracks. This one also had a chip first week all on pavement.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:29 AM

Damn sucks but it is what it is in the end. This is inevitable.

Its either the rock chips or calcium chloride.

I think most would agree on the rock chips.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-06-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

I agree. My last truck went nine years on the factory windshield and the only chip was from my buddy driving it in for an oil change the first week I owned it. Not riding everyone’s bumper goes a long way to protecting your glass.

My jeeps however, they seem to get hit and cracked a little more frequently. I’ve done two windshields on the Jeep in the last six years.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Banned

Is this the OP's idea of major catastrophic event??
And is he absolutely sure that he has never thrown a rock that has chipped someones window????
Old 07-06-2020, 10:57 AM

Try following or get passed by a caravan of Gravel trucks doing 130 down our highways. Had most of my windshields taken out by gravel haulers and the loose stuff on their hitches and coming off their tires.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I think you need to start a Go Fund Me to recover this devastating loss. Our prayers are with you, may your grief be short lived.

Windshield Surgeon $199 for a new one, or $30 bucks at Crackmaster.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
No kidding I don't replace mine till I can't see out of the driver's side then usually get a rock chip the first week the part of life in Alberta

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
No kidding I don't replace mine till I can't see out of the driver's side then usually get a rock chip the first week the part of life in Alberta

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
My Tacoma windshield was bad, but still drivable, and I replaced it when big fat sharptail grouse smashed it right on middle of driver's side (hwy56, 1 km north of hwy1). I had to stick my head out of side window to drive it to the nearest SpeedyGlass
Old 07-06-2020, 12:05 PM

Had my last new truck for a total of 2 days before I took one right in the middle bottom (below my eye line at least). Was going to get it filled so it wouldn't spread the very next day and when I got in the car the next morning - the crack was going both directions. At that point, since the crack was along the bottom - never bothered.

Unless it's in my line of sight, there no point really. Never understood why anyone would ever pay for glass coverage or make an insurance claim - all you are doing is paying more in premiums thinking you are winning or saving a few hundred buck, when, in fact, insurance wins every time.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:12 PM

Had a bad one hit my truck one night passing a semi on my way up to GP, could have sworn it came through the windshield by the way it sounded.

started as a fist sized circle and sprouted 3 legs as the days went by. What's a guy to do. Only had 3 months on that one.

Sucks getting peppered by other trucks, and I get that its easy to be mad at the other driver, but a guy has to wonder how many rocks he has kicked up and chipped windshields on other cars.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
You can't keep distance, there is always some idiot who tries to sneak infront of you and spray you with gravel.
Mudflap won't help to protect windshield until there is gravel on the road. It is ... Alberta.
I imported 25 yrs old vehicle from Europe with original windshield. Not even single chip on it. After 10000km on AB roads the windshield is total trash.
It still makes a big difference but it doesn’t prevent all chips

There is way worse places then Alberta too
Old 07-06-2020, 04:24 PM

watched a bolt drop off an approaching tailgate, one bounce, eating glass. Worse was when my tree shifter handle fell off my 67' fairlane. I tossed it onto the dash, shattering the windshield from the inside. Driving a company truck out to the auto shredder one day, took a baseball sized lump of steel into the headlight area. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. frickin shrapnel.

I tried to baby a couple of bullseyes from running during winter by basically being cold. Last cold spell of the year, zip. Life in Alberta.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:17 PM

In Oct with our Second new windshield in 2019 in our Highlander we headed to Arizona for winter. Never have gotten rock damage in our Arizona trips & this year same.

But In March 2020 On 3rd day of return to Alberta got fist sized rock hit in middle of windshield. Darn darn !!

Windshield for Toyota $600+, for Ram $300.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 AM

Those couple of rock chips didn’t take long to spider going in tomorrow for a windshield.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:36 AM
Banned

I always have this kit in my glovebox:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...-0380027p.html
Sometimes it helps to stop cracks.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:48 AM

If you guys want to reduce the chance of the chips spreading put a piece of scotch tape over.

If you want to help seal it a little more solid then take the UV resin you use for fly tying. Put a dab of it on the chip, Use cellophane wrap and stick it ontop and let it spread out. Leave it on facing the sun for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove the cellophane wrap, Use a scraper blade to scrape flatten it out. It should be smooths and covered up atleast. No water and moister will get in and allowing it to expand and contract with temperature fluctuation. cellophane wrap can be found on cigarette packages. (the clear packaging)

The proper way is to use an injector to force the resin into the cracks. But atleast its better then nothing.

My windshields last a long time even driving on the worst roads like yellowhead and anthony henday. I have a Jeep wrangler with nearly 40,000km and a factory windshield with only once crack that travelled only 5 inches till I stopped it. If you want to stop a crack from spreading you have to make a rockchip on the end of the crack and fill it with resin. Boom no more spreading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 374a1fbd-1ec2-4c59-90ff-fe4328ea8455.jpg (41.6 KB, 24 views)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife

Last edited by HuyFishin; 07-08-2020 at 10:55 AM.