Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Lone Wolf Tree Stands

I'm looking into climbing or hang-on stands and after some research I'm leaning towards a Lone Wolf Alpha hang-on stand. A stand like this will open up a bit more opportunity for me in the area I hunt and extend my season by a few months too. They are lightweight, easily portable, and can be moved quickly.
Just wondering, has anyone in the forum purchased or used one of these stands? They aren't cheap but the reviews I've read on-line are all positive and they look to be well made.
My other concern is that the only Canadian distributor is Heights Archery out of Winnipeg. I live in Edmonton so it's not like I can walk into a local store where I typically purchase items like this and deal directly with the salesman I bought it from.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:26 AM

I've got 4 of the Lone Wolf Alpha hang-ons. Excellent stands. The seat isn't the most comfortable after 3 hours, but I have spent a few 12 hour days in them during the peak of the whitetail rut. Some of mine are over 20 years old if I remember right and going strong.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:57 AM

Great stands for a mobile hunter. I have three of them and really try and keep them just for hang and hunt scenarios. Their climbing sticks are nice as well but I have found I prefer a couple other brands of stick to use in conjunction with. The seat isn’t superb as mentioned but they aren’t brutal either. I’ve logged many all day sits and when you’re layered up, I doubt you’d notice much difference. There are probably hundreds of mod videos on YouTube showing different ways that people have “silenced” them and such. I would invest some time in this as it will really help with a stealthy install or removal and your ability to move through brush without making a racket. Once hung, I believe they are one of, if not the most noise free and stable platform out there.

This isn’t directly in the scope of your inquiry but I’ll add it because it has been game changing. Make yourself a lineman’s rope. Some of the harnesses that come with stands are actually pretty decent but the rope or strap system is not user friendly. Having your own good one is very eye opening on how much faster/smoother/quieter you can be. I think they are much safer as well.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:40 PM

Default Love mine

I have the Alpha II and climbing sticks. Its almost as easy as the climber and more flexible for those odd trees and limby trees. Also some some mods you can make to the sticks to make them easier to set up and quiet. The shoulder straps on the alpha SUCK. You will want to bolster these right away or use a hauler pack