Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-11-2020, 12:53 PM

Default Easton FMJ

Hi Everyone. Currently shooting Maxima reds and they have been working well. Will likely need to order some new arrows this spring and have been thinking about the FMJ's how are they for consistency, is there any benefit to the 4mm 5mm, etc like they claim? Do you have to worry about bending them like the old aluminum? I actually used to love the old easton aluminum 20 years ago and had shot a lot of great groups with them, but once they were bent, they were done.

Will be target shooting, have a couple 3d targets in my yard, and for hunting everything from antelope to bear to deer to elk.

Thanks for the input. Currently shooting about 62 pounds next bow will be 70ish.

Oh and I like to shoot a longer arrow current ones are 29". I had an arrow come off my rest once when drawing back and luckily my wife was with me and flipped it off my forearm, if not I would have had to push it through my arm as I let it down.

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-11-2020, 03:12 PM

I’ve shot FMJs for quite a long while. I shoot 29” arrows with 100gr heads at 72lbs in a 340 spine. I’m right on the line for spine. A 491gr arrow that I was able to tune but wasn’t the easiest proposition. I’d go 300 if doing it again.

I haven’t bent many. Very few actually. The weakest point is the front end of the arrow. I’ve mushroomed and torn several. I’m just running them on my back up bow now so I won’t invest much time or effort trying to tweak anymore but if I was, I’d be footing the front end with an external sleeve or collar of some sort.

All in all, I like them. Never had one fail on game. They’ve been durable save damage to the front described above. Pull out of targets easy. I’d advise using a wrap as vane adhesion can be finicky if you aren’t completely anal with your fletching procedure. 26” of penetration has been the least I’ve had on game. They are a bit harder to get your FOC up if you chase that. Not sure what else I can tell you. I didn’t look at your location but if you’re anywhere near Edmonton, I’d loan you 3-6 for a test run. Saves having to buy a half doz if you ended up not digging them. At your current draw weight there is spine to spare in a 340.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:33 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'll do some more digging and make a plan.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:38 PM

I’ve been shooting them for more then a decade. I’ve bent two 500 spine out of my longbows.
I’ve never bent a .250 or .300 spine from my compounds and I shoot 80lbs at 30” DL. They’re tough.

I foot the front with carbon express nock collars the same as I foot my carbons.

I don’t think the reduced diameter makes an inch of difference for penetration but I don’t think it hurts either. Back in the day I never had penetration issues with my XX78’s in 2219 and they were much fatter then any common carbon or micro diameter shaft available today.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:46 AM

I used to religiously shoot fmj's
They're dead straight, buck wind, and hit hard.
The only issue was that They work great until they don't, and that is the bending. In my experience, If you hit anything that would re-direct the flight path of the arrow, you're gonna be looking at a $18 back scratcher.
I've moved to victory arrows. All carbon, same diameter, and with the outsert system, grains stay the same. The carbon is much more forgiving on bends

Btw, I'm shooting a Mathews Halon 32 #70@29"
My arrows are uncut and have the standard outsert with a 125gr head.
I used the same bow to shoot the fmj's.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ve been shooting them for more then a decade. I’ve bent two 500 spine out of my longbows.
I’ve never bent a .250 or .300 spine from my compounds and I shoot 80lbs at 30” DL. They’re tough.

I foot the front with carbon express nock collars the same as I foot my carbons.

I don’t think the reduced diameter makes an inch of difference for penetration but I don’t think it hurts either. Back in the day I never had penetration issues with my XX78’s in 2219 and they were much fatter then any common carbon or micro diameter shaft available today.
I foot all of my arrows too, and it makes them nearly indestructible.
Good tip.