Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 03:17 PM

Talking 3d printing- making what you can't easily buy

I know there are ATV mounts, but they would not work for this purpose because of how they mount.
I wanted a tripod to use with a stool for out shooting gophers. Totally out of the blue I found this great speaker stand tripod with a hand trigger for adjusting. It is just perfect.
I wanted it to swivel on the stand easily, so I gave it about a .03mm clearance which allows it to turn but be very stable. A little padding to save the stock, and it is ready. I made it quite heavy with a lot if infill, so I expect it will last a long time.
Yes I know the color is not real hunting camo lol, it is just what was in the printer at the time, while making the first demo. Leave the jokes out please. This is a color changing filament I used for the grandsons.

Cost for the project was nearly nothing, and I have found many similar tripods for sale.

Pretty cool little project, and it works perfectly to give an old shaky guy a very stable platform for pest control.

fresh out of the printer with printing supports, that were removed.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-17-2022, 03:20 PM

Could you do a window mount? Asking for a friend? Seems more stable than a pool noodle....

Old 05-17-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Could you do a window mount? Asking for a friend? Seems more stable than a pool noodle....

Absolutely, now that I know your address

When are you coming for the seacan full of monster fridges? Takes a lot of power keeping all that beer cold

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-17-2022, 03:27 PM

Very cool, Ken!

And you're not THAT old...
Old 05-17-2022, 03:27 PM

Umm why is it rainbow colored lol
Old 05-17-2022, 03:32 PM

looks great. have fun cleaning up on the rodents.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Umm why is it rainbow colored lol
You never bought playboy for the articles didja

'Yes I know the color is not real hunting camo lol, it is just what was in the printer at the time, while making the first demo. Leave the jokes out please. This is a color changing filament I used for the grandsons.'

Old 05-17-2022, 03:51 PM

The sky is the limit with 3 d printing, amazing technology. I Had my son do a couple of things for me, including reloading blocks, middle is the original, left was his first try and right the final version.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-17-2022, 03:58 PM

That's awesome Grizz. I made a bunch of them too over the past years.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:01 PM

I like those colors Ken. You won;t lose it if you drop it.
Also not taking away from Ken's post, I've made both these items for my rockchucker and they work. Just need some tiny magnets cheap thru Amazon and your away. Double edge tape would work too I think. Can't buy these anywhere.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?p...&sort=relevant
Old 05-17-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You never bought playboy for the articles didja

'Yes I know the color is not real hunting camo lol, it is just what was in the printer at the time, while making the first demo. Leave the jokes out please. This is a color changing filament I used for the grandsons.'
Couldn’t help but poke a little fun

Honestly good job. I find 3D printing fascinating but do to a lack of computer skills I a reluctant to get one
Old 05-17-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
I like those colors Ken. You won;t lose it if you drop it.
Also not taking away from Ken's post, I've made both these items for my rockchucker and they work. Just need some tiny magnets cheap thru Amazon and your away. Double edge tape would work too I think. Can't buy these anywhere.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?p...&sort=relevant
Thingiverse is awesome! That's where I started before I learned how to design on my own. I have a few items on there too!

Old 05-17-2022, 05:13 PM

That's cool , nice job.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
The sky is the limit with 3 d printing, amazing technology. I Had my son do a couple of things for me, including reloading blocks, middle is the original, left was his first try and right the final version.

Grizz
Dayuum, those look like perfect ice cube trays
Old 05-17-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I know there are ATV mounts, but they would not work for this purpose because of how they mount.
I wanted a tripod to use with a stool for out shooting gophers. Totally out of the blue I found this great speaker
stand tripod with a hand trigger for adjusting. It is just perfect. I wanted it to swivel on the stand easily,
so I gave it about a .03mm clearance which allows it to turn but be very stable. A little padding to
save the stock, and it is ready. I made it quite heavy with a lot if infill, so I expect it will last a long time.
Yes I know the color is not real hunting camo lol, it is just what was in the printer at the time, while
making the first demo. Leave the jokes out please. This is a color changing filament I used for the grandsons.

Cost for the project was nearly nothing, and I have found many similar tripods for sale.

Pretty cool little project, and it works perfectly to give an old shaky guy a very stable platform for pest control.

fresh out of the printer with printing supports, that were removed.
I find this Awesomite!!
I actually have a liking for the colors too, this seems like something many would buy.
A+
Old 05-18-2022, 04:08 PM

Turned out pretty good. I know with software you can change some dimensions to many of the CAD files and make adjustments and changes as needed (like a wider yoke base or shorter side rails or whatever).

I am always amazed at all the cool things you can make with these 3d printers - seems like the possibilities are endless. Rod holders, planer boards, hook/harness trays, shell holders, etc...

I think you shouldn't be ashamed of rainbow Ken, it's very inclusive ..... sorry couldn't resist !!!!
Old 05-18-2022, 06:17 PM

Looks great! Maybe this should be a separate thread but what brand 3d printers is everyone using? Been checking out Ender 3 printers. Are these ok or should a guy look at others?
Old 05-18-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
Looks great! Maybe this should be a separate thread but what brand 3d printers is everyone using? Been checking out Ender 3 printers. Are these ok or should a guy look at others?
I have 2 Flashforge woody duals, a Flashforge Adventurer 4, and a Makerbot Z18.

Started with the woody, then the z18, then the other woody then the ADV4.

This particular print was on the ADV4.

The Z18 has a huge build surface, 12x12x18" so it is mainly used for larger products. The ADV4 gets most of the work now.

At Halloween when I am printing skulls to hand in the trees with lights all 4 of them are running.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:06 PM

Default Cost of printing

Just curious what everyone thinks. I can get stuff printed at the local library for $0.10/gram. Is this very reasonable or could I print for a lot cheaper if I got my own printer? Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:15 PM

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3551604

http://https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3551604

Here is what I'd like to get printed and wondering roughly what it would cost. Thanks
Old 06-15-2022, 09:14 PM

I just had some tweeter pods 3d printedhttps://www.punchycreations.ca by
punchycreations@outlook.com

Warren did a great job, very reasonable price with shipping from Grande Prairie
Old 06-16-2022, 08:43 AM

A roll of PLA is 30-35$ so you would make back your cash for a printer pretty fast. At .10 a gram you are paying 100$ for the same KG

Ken it's hard to see in the picture but you may want to add/enlarge a fillet between the mounting stud and the holder sharp corners cause stress concentrations.

Myself I have been on a printing fishing lures tear. The first body I did was a reproduction of a body I bought one time just for a laugh that turned into one of my favorites I have never seen the body again so I had to reproduce.

the other photos of other things I have done the one being printing a mold of a mold and the other was a body I made after reading the best lure for pike thread from a couple of weeks ago it will be my version of the meadow mouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BomberKO.jpg (39.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg lipless.jpg (57.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg MeadowMousePrint.jpg (35.1 KB, 37 views)