Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 02:03 PM

I can garentee I use a knife more than 99 percent on here an that’s what works. Most taxidermy shops use the same just saying.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I can garentee I use a knife more than 99 percent on here an that’s what works. Most taxidermy shops use the same just saying.
No doubt you do....but skinning a coyote, coon or beaver is a different job than breaking a moose down on the side of some swamp. Im glad you have found your preferred tool. But just cause it works best for you doesnt mean it does for everyone. Imo those paring knives have the absolute worst handle and would have my hands and arms locked up before i even got half the hide off..not to mention they dont hold an edge very well.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:33 PM

They guy I have hunted with for 30 years is a taxidermist. He uses paring knives in the shop a lot. But I have never seen him carry one in the field. Ever. And I’ve seen him take apart a pile of game.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-18-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post

This victorinox paring knife with a modified tip made it into my kill kit this year, at the recommendation of an old time sheep guide. So far it’s done 2 bears and a Turkey this spring, not just skinning and gutting but complete butchering too. Works just as good as any other knife I have used for the task either during my days as a abattoir or big game hunting. Sure edge is a little thin and soft so if you are working the joints carelessly you can roll an edge, but a few strokes on my mini stone straightens it out in 10 secs. It’s earned a place in my pack from now on, and for the weight (1.8oz with a stone) and price a solid consideration for any hunter.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:31 PM

^ Almost any knife would work; even a dull one. People used to do it with rocks (some still do, I am sure). Like I said in my previous post, as long as we all have fun doing it (and note that I am not using a “fancy” knife myself, haha). The modified tip is a nice touch though.

Came to post this that popped up on the bladeforums because you do not see very often. It is from the same maker as in my previous post. Not my cup of tea in terms of scales and whatnot (looks more like “jewellery” than a knife, lol), but you don’t see a an integral drop point like that very often at all:

Great skill display and a rarity (why I post), which the price reflects. Not only is it integral, it is also tapered. Pretty cool stuff. There more pictures and a video in his for sale thread.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:21 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Bob knows a great knife maker in England who follows the Loveless design for his fixed blade knives. He has something like a 4 year waiting list though. Maybe he can expand on it.
That would be very good friend Mr. Paul Mason, and yes, for his fixed blades he is absolutely a Loveless style artist. The man is absolutely insane about how he approaches his work and quality. Consider that he uses no jigs or mechanical assistance in his shaping, grinding, polishing etc, how he achieves his level of workmanship is mind blowing! And that is just his fixed blades. His traditional slip joint folders are to die for...

To get any one of his knives right now is a 4 year wait (it was 5 but he finally closed his book and is getting caught up). You do pay dearly for his level of craftsmanship and sadly because of the level he is at most of his blades now end up in collections rather than service but you can certainly do some severe service with his blades and they will stand up against anything. Most guys get a little nervous taking $2000/+ knives into the field though If you do happen to take one out into the field nothing puts a bigger smile on his face!

These are just a couple I quickly found on FB to show examples...

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-20-2022, 07:42 AM

I know a guy who ordered on fixed blade from Paul Mason.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:48 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I know a guy who ordered on fixed blade from Paul Mason.
And he was lucky he knew a guy...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-20-2022, 08:23 AM

Marcus Lin does the best Loveless style knives I have seen.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 05-20-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
That would be very good friend Mr. Paul Mason, and yes, for his fixed blades he is absolutely a Loveless style artist. The man is absolutely insane about how he approaches his work and quality. Consider that he uses no jigs or mechanical assistance in his shaping, grinding, polishing etc, how he achieves his level of workmanship is mind blowing! And that is just his fixed blades. His traditional slip joint folders are to die for...

To get any one of his knives right now is a 4 year wait (it was 5 but he finally closed his book and is getting caught up). You do pay dearly for his level of craftsmanship and sadly because of the level he is at most of his blades now end up in collections rather than service but you can certainly do some severe service with his blades and they will stand up against anything. Most guys get a little nervous taking $2000/+ knives into the field though If you do happen to take one out into the field nothing puts a bigger smile on his face!

These are just a couple I quickly found on FB to show examples...

Really nice!

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2022, 09:10 AM

Both of those knives are works of art and do not belong anywhere near my knives. I use mine when needed, those things belong in a cabinet......lol
Old 05-20-2022, 09:23 AM

How will using them hurt them? Ironically Loveless’ purpose in building knives was to have them used.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-21-2022, 05:49 AM

Coil, do you know if Crotts/ dozier uses Cpm D2 ?
Old 05-21-2022, 05:54 AM

[QUOTE=bushpilot;4521700]

This victorinox paring knife with a modified tip made it into my kill kit this year, at the recommendation of an old time sheep guide. So far it’s done 2 bears and a Turkey this spring, not just skinning and gutting but complete butchering too. Works just as good as any other knife I have used for the task either during my days as a abattoir or big game hunting. Sure edge is a little thin and soft so if you are working the joints carelessly you can roll an edge, but a few strokes on my mini stone straightens it out in 10 secs. It’s earned a place in my pack from now on, and for the weight (1.8oz with a stone) and price a solid consideration for any hunter.[/QUOTE

I use these to take off goose breast. They are excellent for that and hold an edge real well. They were sold on Amazon a while ago in five packs.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderomag View Post
Not Coil, but my gut says no.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-21-2022, 08:40 AM

Well my knife was out for delivery yesterday but didn't make it. Now it's scheduled for delivery on the next business day. Wednesday the 25th. Does the post office get Tuesday off too?

I feel like canada post just postponed Xmas by 5 days. Lol crap!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderomag View Post
I don’t know but I can’t remember seeing one of their knives in CPM D2 so it can’t be very common if they do. I forget things like everyone else so that’s antidotal not a definitive “no” but I would say they don’t very often if at all. They probably would if you wanted them too… Are you thinking you need some CPM d2????

Savage Bacon

Sucks your knife didn’t get delivered. Seems it’s been a long wait and I’m not even the guy waiting for it. It seems Canada post has gotten worse since I left and they weren’t that good before. I won’t tell you what Australia Post is like…
Old 05-21-2022, 03:15 PM

Savage Bacon, remind us what you are getting.

And Canada Post does suck.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-22-2022, 11:51 AM

Dan Crotts semi skinner with CTS XHP blade. Stabilized maple handle. I know wood handles are not always a favorite. This one is black maple. The handle has kind of a blue marble look.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:01 PM

Nice.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-22-2022, 12:03 PM

It's not a custom order. But I'll most likely put another order in and build my own. You guys were just kind of driving me crazy talking about your orders. And I saw this one pop up.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Dan Crotts semi skinner with CTS XHP blade. Stabilized maple handle. I know wood handles are not always a favorite. This one is black maple. The handle has kind of a blue marble look.

You don’t worry about those wood handles. They gonna work real fine for you. They go in a fanny pack anyway
Old 05-22-2022, 02:53 PM

Canada Post has nothing to do with knives taking longer than other shipments. It is the Border Agency that takes an eternity to clear knives crossing the border. It can easily take them over a week to do so. Pretty weird, but it is what it is.

Quote:
wood handles
I have been meaning to post for a while, but keep forgetting. You mentioned that you asked Dan to find the best wood he can. Maybe you can do so yourself, if you know what you want. Since you are using instagram, follow kiranskoa, he drops some nice stuff daily. Yesterday, he dropped a pretty epic piece of amboyna burl that would make some pretty sweet scales (link). Check it out. If you want to purchase something good, you have to have notifications on though and be on top of it because all the good stuff sells right away usually. I am not sure if his prices include shipping within the US (think they do) and I am sure you can arrange it to be shipped to Dan directly.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:36 PM

Wow!! That is some beautiful wood! I imagine that would be amazing as knife scales! The color and figuring is incredible, and that is a very hard wood as well if I'm not mistaken.

$135 USD. That is pretty dear, but it is so premium that burl!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-22-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Canada Post has nothing to do with knives taking longer than other shipments. It is the Border Agency that takes an eternity to clear knives crossing the border. It can easily take them over a week to do so. Pretty weird, but it is what it is.

I have been meaning to post for a while, but keep forgetting. You mentioned that you asked Dan to find the best wood he can. Maybe you can do so yourself, if you know what you want. Since you are using instagram, follow kiranskoa, he drops some nice stuff daily. Yesterday, he dropped a pretty epic piece of amboyna burl that would make some pretty sweet scales (link). Check it out. If you want to purchase something good, you have to have notifications on though and be on top of it because all the good stuff sells right away usually. I am not sure if his prices include shipping within the US (think they do) and I am sure you can arrange it to be shipped to Dan directly.
Your idea is not a bad one, but he is always pumping out nice pieces of desert ironwood on a regular basis. He and his wife know that I started this thread that has gotten him a metric ton of business as has been mentioned, not that he needs it anyways, as he is as booked as you can get. I am guessing that he has a better eye than I do, so I don’t want to limit it to something I want. Rather put the onus on him, telling him I want the nicest wood he has in his shop. I told him it’s being passed down to my son. He will find me something nice I am sure.

To your point, that is a very nice burl.

PS:All you Micarta fans are winning me over. Some of it is quite aesthetically pleasing.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Wow!! That is some beautiful wood! I imagine that would be amazing as knife scales! The color and figuring is incredible, and that is a very hard wood as well if I'm not mistaken.

$135 USD. That is pretty dear, but it is so premium that burl!
Yeah, pricy. But that one sure was a premium piece of wood.

Another “regular” amboyna burl for less than half the price from a few days ago: link.

Funny how both are beautiful, yet one can see the difference right away, lol. Scroll through his channel (is that what they call it, channel?), there is some amazing wood there. Plenty of dyed stuff, which I am not a fan off, but plenty of solid natural stabilised wood blocks/scales, which any “wood lover”, lol, can appreciate. There is other stuff too, including various bone, ivory, fancy micarta, etc.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Your idea is not a bad one, but he is always pumping out nice pieces of desert ironwood on a regular basis. He and his wife know that I started this thread that has gotten him a metric ton of business as has been mentioned, not that he needs it anyways, as he is as booked as you can get. I am guessing that he has a better eye than I do, so I don’t want to limit it to something I want. Rather put the onus on him, telling him I want the nicest wood he has in his shop. I told him it’s being passed down to my son. He will find me something nice I am sure.

PS:All you Micarta fans are winning me over. Some of it is quite aesthetically pleasing.
That’s fair. There could be something nicer that isn’t in his shop though, haha. I will give as much headache as I possibly can, it appears, though. Lol.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:

One of my Semi Skinners is going to my son this weekend as a graduation present. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 05-22-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post

You won't have any problem with stabilized maple handles if you take care of the knife. Keep it clean and dry, put some oil on it once in a while when you touch up the blade, and you can leave it to one of your kids.
I got my semi skinner off the website, didn't special order it, has the desert ironwood handles which I really like for looks and durability, probably the best natural material to be found, probably not as tough as a micarta or G10. Adds a bit to the price and some folks think it is a "plainer wood" No worries with wood handles if they are taken care of.
Enjoy the knife when you finally get it!

Ken
Old 05-22-2022, 05:55 PM

Default Knife

Not bad wood on these two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920A9A8-6F44-40A4-B9D5-D31A8EF87705.jpg (27.4 KB, 46 views)