Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Are you using a chronograph? I have just taken up handloading for my .303 so i am still not sure what bullet to use in my gun yet. I have ordered 180 grain hornady for my first try. Max load in the manual I have shows 2700 fps with 4350 imr. I am a little leary to load to max in this old gun.
We got the information from a reloading book, though I would have to ask my dad for the specifics as he figured it out. My .303 was never used in the war and my uncle bought it right from the original package. It is in awesome condition and has only had about 200 shots though it.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient_hunter View Post
We got the information from a reloading book, though I would have to ask my dad for the specifics as he figured it out. My .303 was never used in the war and my uncle bought it right from the original package. It is in awesome condition and has only had about 200 shots though it.
Thats great. Mine has seen a lot of use and I would sure love to try one in new condition. They used to be so cheap to fire but now ammo is gettting to be a bit hard to find and same cost as 30-06. I remember paying 10.99 a box for it at the co-op.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
I'd say the .303 brit was the rifle of choice in the moose woods 30-40-50 years ago.
And it was chosen for no other reason besides it being readily available,and low priced.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I am hand-loading for my .303 and we are shooting 150 gr. spitzers faster than factory 30-06 ammo. I have shot only deer with it, but out to ranges of 250 yards with no problem and wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose and elk.

There is no way the 303 will get more than 30'06 velocities, unless your way beyond the pressure limitations of this cartridge, and only then if it's in a P-17 action.

This attempted course of action is very dangerous.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Are you using a chronograph? I have just taken up handloading for my .303 so i am still not sure what bullet to use in my gun yet. I have ordered 180 grain hornady for my first try. Max load in the manual I have shows 2700 fps with 4350 imr. I am a little leary to load to max in this old gun.
Ummmm, unless there is something I'm missing Hornady does not make a 180gr. bullet for the 303, 174gr round nose yes, but a 180gr. nope.

Speer and Sierra offer the 180's,

Make double sure you are buying 0.311", to 0.312" diameter projectiles for your 303.

0.308" diameter projectiles will likley give you some real serious head aches going forward.

As for published velocites, well lets just say, for the most part a lot of literary licence is often used when those numbers get published.

Also read all the statements about case life in the various Enfield actions, hot em up and expect very poor case life.

If your looking for 30'06 velocities then go buy a $400. 30'06 in a Stevens, or what ever, but thinking you can continuiously do it in a 303 is akin to making a silk purse out of a sows ear.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:15 AM

I have taken down numerous coyotes and deer with my enfield 303 brit. Before it landed in my hands my grandpa had shot black bears, moose, elk, and deer with it. when he gave it to me it came with a couple of boxes of 180 grain federals so thats what I continued to use. Longest shot on a whitetail was just over 300 yards and dropped it in its tracks. Longest shot on a yote was 260 and same outcome as the whitetail except uglier. Nothing wrong with these rifles.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I am hand-loading for my .303 and we are shooting 150 gr. spitzers faster than factory 30-06 ammo. I have shot only deer with it, but out to ranges of 250 yards with no problem and wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose and elk.
I haven't checked, but I would be VERY surprised a handloaded 303Brit can be pushed that fast in a safe load.

This, and the fact that the brass life on those cases is almost non existant.
The brass simply is NOT DESIGNED to pressure up that high.

Several of my friends own Enfields as well as WinchesterM70's in 308 and 30'06, and frankly, they do not like the newer rifles for several reasons, and cannot see any difference in the killing when a moose or deer goes down.
The big difference they see is the scope mounting is easier on the M70 .I have put Bsquare mounts on these Enfields , and the aftermarket stocks fit well with them, but if you are using the original issue butt stock, as Dick said some time ago, stay with they irons.

Here is a little trick that will help those wishing to keep shooting and handloading their 303's.
It is called "indexing".n
before you first fire the brass, mark the edge of the rim of the case with a SMALL file mark just enough to notice it , and put this mark up when you load it in the magazine or drop it into the breach.
Use a Lee Collet die or the Lee hand tool to neck size the brass, and after you reload the case, always put the cartridge with the file mark up.

What this does is keep the neck sized case in the best orientation to the chamber when it is fired.

BTW, this system does work, and has been used by more than one DCRA shooter and cadet to win matches when the Enfield was king of the range at places like Cannought and Bisley.

Cat
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM

Agreed, ask the millions of critters in the old British colonial countries, including our country, who ended up in the pot because of a .303 bullet.Also the many dead soldiers.Good meat in the pot gun, it must be after 100+ years.I'm using ImR 4064 and 150 hornady Spire Points, and 180 gr. Core Lokt RN.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ummmm, unless there is something I'm missing Hornady does not make a 180gr. bullet for the 303, 174gr round nose yes, but a 180gr. nope.

Speer and Sierra offer the 180's,

Make double sure you are buying 0.311", to 0.312" diameter projectiles for your 303.

0.308" diameter projectiles will likley give you some real serious head aches going forward.

As for published velocites, well lets just say, for the most part a lot of literary licence is often used when those numbers get published.

Also read all the statements about case life in the various Enfield actions, hot em up and expect very poor case life.

If your looking for 30'06 velocities then go buy a $400. 30'06 in a Stevens, or what ever, but thinking you can continuiously do it in a 303 is akin to making a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Hmmmmmmm I stopped to see if they were in yet and they are not. But I had not read this post so I never asked any more questions about brand. They are absolutely .312" Unless he frigged up the order I will find out tommorrow.
I have a 30-06 already and have no intention of loading hot. If you read my previous post I said I was leary to even load max reccomended load. But thanks for advice I have no interest in getting hurt at this.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:48 PM

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...5adad1e4c25279

All Hornady offers in 0.312", that are hunting bullets

There are no absolutes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

If your buying a .303 I would suggest handling alot of them. Because at this point most have been modifyed in one way or another and many .303's have a unique feel to them. I owned one with the original butstock on it (I think) and it kicked like a mule, after buying a 30-30 I realized that I hated my .303 and sold it. Since then I have shot ones that have aftermarket stocks and discovered that I didnt mind the cartridge. If you've found one that fits you I suggest you go buy that one.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
If your buying a .303 I would suggest handling alot of them. Because at this point most have been modifyed in one way or another and many .303's have a unique feel to them. I owned one with the original butstock on it (I think) and it kicked like a mule, after buying a 30-30 I realized that I hated my .303 and sold it. Since then I have shot ones that have aftermarket stocks and discovered that I didnt mind the cartridge. If you've found one that fits you I suggest you go buy that one.
There are several lengths of stock for the Enfields, but if you were shooting it with an issue stock and a scope, yup, she'd kick!!
Cat
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
There is no way the 303 will get more than 30'06 velocities, unless your way beyond the pressure limitations of this cartridge, and only then if it's in a P-17 action.

This attempted course of action is very dangerous.
We check the brass after every shot and they don't show any signs of wear and we only neck down the shells and not the whole case when we reload.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:19 AM

I like my 303, I pull it out and use it every once in a while, depending on my tag situation. I used it all this past season and had great success. A 146 whitetail and a 168 mule. I don't know why but I've gotten most of my better deer with the 303. I feel very confident with it. Members of my hunting group always burn me about packing the old 303.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
We check the brass after every shot and they don't show any signs of wear and we only neck down the shells and not the whole case when we reload.
How many reloads do you get before the cases let go or crack?
The reason I am asking is sometimes the only way to tell is to measure the inside of the neck with an instrument like the case master.
Sometimes you can see the insipient neck neck separation starting, but sometimes you cannot.
Cat
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Here is a pic of a rifle that my father built and used for many years, even though he had many rifle to choose from.
This rifle is built for deer and moose hunting of course, but my father also used it in "sporting rifle " and turkey shoots when he was younger.
it originally was a two piece #3 IIRC , but he cut the tang off, and mounted it in this one piece stock, and added the side mount.
the irons work well, but it also has a very old Kalles 3X scope that is one of the clearest 3X's I have ever looked through.

I used this rifle several years ago to shoot a deer with, and it comes up and loads lightning fast, and is accurate.
I plan to use it again some day as well, just because it handles so well.
Cat
Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 AM

Nice rifle, Cat.

Always thought a Ruger No1 chambered for 303 British would be a neat rig.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Nice rifle, Cat.

Always thought a Ruger No1 chambered for 303 British would be a neat rig.
Thanks, yes, my father built wonderful rifles that were both functional and accurate.
As far as a Ruger No.1 goes, you, I and about 20 other single shot loonies on the 24 hr. campfire think so too - but I wouldn't hold my breath for Ruger putting one out for Canadians!!
I think we would see a resurection of the 30.40 Krag first.
I have a Browning highwall downstairs that I have given up on in the wildcat I chambered it in, and MAY just do a rebarrel in 303 Brit.
I just hope Bill Leeper ain't too busy, because Paul Reibin will likely spin a nut if I ask him to!!
Cat
Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Lander View Post
Tell me why it is that there is not a single main stream arms manufacture that makes a rifle chambered for the .303 Brit. Although it is 120 or 130 years old there are allot of other cartridges around that age that are still extensively used today, all but the .303

- I do own two of them, they just don't get out much.
There are 100's of calibers that are not chambered by main stream arms manufacturers not because they are no good but because we want big cannons , fat cases or whatever.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 03-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As far as a Ruger No.1 goes, you, I and about 20 other single shot loonies on the 24 hr. campfire think so too - but I wouldn't hold my breath for Ruger putting one out for Canadians!!
I think we would see a resurection of the 30.40 Krag first.
If anyone of the manufacturers would chamber the 'British' it'd be Ruger, at least it wouldn't surprise me to the point of a heart attack. The 30-40 would be kinda cool to..
Quote:
I have a Browning highwall downstairs that I have given up on in the wildcat I chambered it in, and MAY just do a rebarrel in 303 Brit.
I just hope Bill Leeper ain't too busy, because Paul Reibin will likely spin a nut if I ask him to!!
Cat
Ya and Bill would likely do it just to 'thumb his nose at the establishment'.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
How many reloads do you get before the cases let go or crack?
The reason I am asking is sometimes the only way to tell is to measure the inside of the neck with an instrument like the case master.
Sometimes you can see the insipient neck neck separation starting, but sometimes you cannot.
Cat
The most we have reloaded any shells is 5 times. Also we are using 43 grains of 4895 powder.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:

And with 43gr. of 4895.

Gee lets see:

Speer #14 says that 44gr. will get you 2695fps. (IMR 4895)
Hornady maxes out at 38.9gr, for 2600fps. (H4895)
Hodgdon with IMR 4895 max 44.2gr, 2689fps
Hodgdon with H4895 max 40gr, 2627fps
3rd edition Sierra max 44gr. IMR 4895, 2600fps

Ummm lets see what a 30'06 will do with a 150gr:

Hornady has 6 loads at 3000fps
Hodgdon has 4 loadings at 3000fps
Sierra lists 5 loadings a 3000fps.

Even Speer lists 4 loads over 2800fps.

Hate to break it to ya son, your not even close to 30'06 country, your only probably getting 2500fps maybe 2550fps if your lucky, it will take game no doubt, so dont get to bent about that.

Someone however has blown a big bunch of sunshine into your hind quarters region I'm afraid.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Yup, but like Dick states, don't let that bother you, that load will still wreck a moose's day!!

I like slow heavy bullets myself, that is why I use the 180's in the 303.
Cat
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Thumbs up Nothing wrong with the ole tree-oh-tree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG AL View Post
Members of my hunting group always burn me about packing the old 303.
Yeah, I get a bit of that to, but it seems to be from most of the younger hunters.
I have 3 of them, none scoped, all in No1 Mk3. They all shoot nice, but have seen some really bad ones at the shows. I got my last one for $130. Steel like mint, wood was not the best, I put a synthetic stock on it from Western Gun Parts for $75 and it makes a great bush gun, and "dead on".
There are better guns for farther distances, but I admit, shooting an animal at more than 200 yds, off the shoulder, aint my strong point, so whats the point having the big long shooting guns if ya cant handle them steady enough? Some people might be able to, but I cant.
Took mine way up north moose hunting last fall, never seen no moose, but there wasent very many places where I was that I needed a big magnum caliber.
A bigger gun does not substitute for poor shooting, sorry, it just doesnt. They have there place, I have a Browning A-bolt II in .300 win mag, and it is setting in the case BEHIND my "oh-tree".
Got a pack of 5 boxes of 180 Ignman hunting rounds for an average of $14:50 per box at Milarm in Edmonton, havent fired none yet, but couldnt pass then up. I dont know how to reload, so I use factory ammo.
Took 3 nice deer last year with my mk3, all under 200 yds, shooting prvi 180gr, not a problem.
I think you would be hard pressed to find an action that worked as smooth under pressure as the mk3's.
And they hold 10 rnds, , happiness is a full mag,
Aim small ~ miss small!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
Yeah, I get a bit of that to, but it seems to be from most of the younger hunters.
I have 3 of them, none scoped, all in No1 Mk3. They all shoot nice, but have seen some really bad ones at the shows. I got my last one for $130. Steel like mint, wood was not the best, I put a synthetic stock on it from Western Gun Parts for $75 and it makes a great bush gun, and "dead on".
There are better guns for farther distances, but I admit, shooting an animal at more than 200 yds, off the shoulder, aint my strong point, so whats the point having the big long shooting guns if ya cant handle them steady enough? Some people might be able to, but I cant.
Took mine way up north moose hunting last fall, never seen no moose, but there wasent very many places where I was that I needed a big magnum caliber.
A bigger gun does not substitute for poor shooting, sorry, it just doesnt. They have there place, I have a Browning A-bolt II in .300 win mag, and it is setting in the case BEHIND my "oh-tree".
Got a pack of 5 boxes of 180 Ignman hunting rounds for an average of $14:50 per box at Milarm in Edmonton, havent fired none yet, but couldnt pass then up. I dont know how to reload, so I use factory ammo.
Took 3 nice deer last year with my mk3, all under 200 yds, shooting prvi 180gr, not a problem.
I think you would be hard pressed to find an action that worked as smooth under pressure as the mk3's.
And they hold 10 rnds, , happiness is a full mag,
Aim small ~ miss small!
The Igman ammo is very good as is the privy Partisan - both are loaded far HOTTER than our North American ammo, BTW!
I have used the Igman factory stuff, and it certainly does pack a whollop.
it isn't as accurate in my Longbranch as handloaded 174 ,Match kings, but in my father's hunting Enfield it is....
Cat
Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 AM

The old Dominion stuf was loaded warm in .303 as well and it shot nice ie 215gr. KKSP............................for bushwacking............Harold
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
The old Dominion stuf was loaded warm in .303 as well and it shot nice ie 215gr. KKSP............................for bushwacking............Harold
The pressures were actually quite mild on the old Dominion, it was the dange 15 grain bullet that felt that they were high!
Wish that stuff was still easily available, it was great ammo...
Cat
Old 03-22-2009, 09:28 AM

All this talk on the .303 brit makes me want to get out and use mine this year for whitetails. What a fun gun.
Cat what are you shooting using the 180gr.? I found that it was too big for whitetail so I switched to 150 gr.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
There are several lengths of stock for the Enfields, but if you were shooting it with an issue stock and a scope, yup, she'd kick!!
Cat
Heh heh heh... you mean like my no. 5? A bit of a kick, and loud to boot... never get rid of it though... bush/brush gun...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
All this talk on the .303 brit makes me want to get out and use mine this year for whitetails. What a fun gun.
Cat what are you shooting using the 180gr.? I found that it was too big for whitetail so I switched to 150 gr.
The last deer I shot with the 180's was a button buck ( I actually thought I was shooting at a young doe!) at about 40 yards- it started to run and as I swung I hit it in the neck, folding it up.
before I got to it it was dead.
I've never had much of a problem with the 180's being "too much" for deer, but I normally don't shoot an animal in heavy bone ( shoulders, etc) unless it is the only shot presented - I like to go with a broadside lung shot.

I also do not believe that there is a "perfect bullet" out there, but there are many that will do well.
The 303 being what it is ( ,312 bullet moving at a relative speed) the 180's seem to work best.

here is a pic of a deer that was hot at 90 paces with a hard quartering shot , with a 175 grain bullet - an 8MM Seirra Pro Hunter from a 8X56Mannlicher Schoenauer.
This cartridge is also a slow mover , but the bullet was able to go through the last rib and landed up on the offside shoulder under the hide.
the bullet lost less than 5 grains of total weight IIRC.

however, that being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 150's in the 303, and I load lots of them for guys that hunt deer.
I simply like using one weight for each cartridge I personally hunt with - that way I only have to worry about one zero.
Cat