Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
How do we know that bowhunters are exceeding their share? What factual stats do we got to go on?
Harvest stats collected over the years. I know you don't want to believe them but........It's sad to see any opportunity lost but archers are allocated a certain percentage based on participation....in some WMUs they are exceeeding that harvest. We seem to live in a province where all groups need to give...it's just the archers' turn. I see no positive in this but the stats are the stats and it's what we have to work with and they say the harvesty is above 15% in some WMUs. it's the archers' turn to give...lord knows the rifle hunters sure have in the past decade.

It's sad to see this turning into archers against rifle hunmters yet once again....I'd say there is a bigger problem that all huners should unite against but sadly I doubt that will happen and too many groups seem too concerned about their piece of the pie rathjer than the big picture. The hypocracy is certainly not lost on me here...sadly it is on many.

There is no winner here...only losers.

I think your time would be much better spent examining what got us here and encouraging ESRD to do something about it than trying to poke holes in their harvest stats. I suspect they are some of the most accurate info we are being force fed. But carry on!

Last edited by sheephunter; 06-20-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Harvest stats collected over the years. I know you don't want to believe them but........It's sad to see any opportunity lost but archers are allocated a certain percentage based on participation....in some WMUs they are exceeeding that harvest. We seem to live in a province where all groups need to give...it's just the archers' turn. I see no positive in this but the stats are the stats and it's what we have to work with and they say the harvesty is above 15% in some WMUs. it's the archers' turn to give...lord knows the rifle hunters sure have in the past decade.

It's sad to see this turning into archers against rifle hunmters yet once again....I'd say there is a bigger problem that all huners should unite against but sadly I doubt that will happen and too many groups seem too concerned about their piece of the pie rathjer than the big picture. The hypocracy is certainly not lost on me here...sadly it is on many.

I agree with you here TJ .. there are no winners only losers .. However , Potty has a valid question , that being , without a registration of kills how can SRD come up with an accurate count ? I phoned hunters for 10 years doing the survey and never, ever had close to 15% success rate on mule deer for bow hunters in all those our club phined . Sorry , SRD is out to lunch ... again .
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I agree with you here TJ .. there are no winners only losers .. However , Potty has a valid question , that being , without a registration of kills how can SRD come up with an accurate count ? I phoned hunters for 10 years doing the survey and never, ever had close to 15% success rate on mule deer for bow hunters in all those our club phined . Sorry , SRD is out to lunch ... again .
No one said archers had a 15% success rate...they said they are taking more than 15% of the allowable harvest. In a zone with 50 mule deer draw tags, that would only be 8 bucks killed by archers. I have no trouble believing the number is over 15% in many WMUs. We aren't talking many bucks in some Wmus.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
No one said archers had a 15% success rate...they said they are taking more than 15% of the allowable harvest. In a zone with 50 mule deer draw tags, that would only be 8 bucks killed by archers. I have no trouble believing the number is over 15% in many WMUs. We aren't talking many bucks in some Wmus.
Sorry Sheep , I stated that wrong .. I meant that bowhunter success rates weren't 15% of the total harvest , not a 15 % success rate for bowhunters .Sure , there are some guys that get one every year , but alot more that don't .Without a better registration method of kills there is no way to truly know what those rates are .The current hunter survey is a joke .I 'll talk with measurers of SABA and see how many muley bucks were killed by members last year and try to get an idea of local success rates .
Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Sorry Sheep , I stated that wrong .. I meant that bowhunter success rates weren't 15% of the total harvest , not a 15 % success rate for bowhunters .Sure , there are some guys that get one every year , but alot more that don't .Without a better registration method of kills there is no way to truly know what those rates are .The current hunter survey is a joke .I 'll talk with measurers of SABA and see how many muley bucks were killed by members last year and try to get an idea of local success rates .
In many WMUs 15% could be only a handful of bucks or in the case of a WMU like 106 it's one buck. You can't believe that the 15% cap isn't being exceeeded in some WMUs because it is.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
In many WMUs 15% could be only a handful of bucks or in the case of a WMU like 106 it's one buck. You can't believe that the 15% cap isn't being exceeeded in some WMUs because it is.
Are you talking about resident archery harvest or outfitter allocation or non resident allocation or landowner tags...

Archery is the last place they should look to reduce the harvest. Try starting with non residents first.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Are you talking about resident archery harvest or outfitter allocation or non resident allocation or landowner tags...

Archery is the last place they should look to reduce the harvest. Try starting with non residents first.
Just resident archery harvest on general tags.

You may very well have a point. I was just commenting on the ESRD proposal that's out there for 2013 and how the 15% cap plays into it.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

!
thats the truth. i think the best way to mitigate the loss would be to have a separate draw for archery and rifle. pick one or the other and you would give up the least. given success rates for archers, there would be a heck of a lot less wait times than for rifle, and by having some bowhunters choosing to go that route to hunt more often, rifle guys may have to wait less as well. with that option, i dont see a whole bunch of reduced opportunity. some, but not a ton.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
thats the truth. i think the best way to mitigate the loss would be to have a separate draw for archery and rifle. pick one or the other and you would give up the least. given success rates for archers, there would be a heck of a lot less wait times than for rifle, and by having some bowhunters choosing to go that route to hunt more often, rifle guys may have to wait less as well. with that option, i dont see a whole bunch of reduced opportunity. some, but not a ton.
That is one of the options on the table.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:42 PM

Can someone confirm that yes they plan on possibly reducing the resident tag numbers, but the outfitter tags and nonresident tags will remain the same?

If so, that's another slap in the face to Albertans by SRD.