Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Ants......

Any got any tried and true ant removal tips? Id like to get a head start on em before they start taking over my back yard again. I've tried all the baits, sprays, ant hill killers and borax and sugar. Pretty sure there are 2 different clans, one seems to like sweet baits, the other wont touch them but will chow down on some meat with ant powder on it. But none of them seem to have any real affect

They are all little red guys with black butts. They dont bite or anything but are super annoying

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 PM

Malathion.
Nothing else works
Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Try powdered sugar and baking soda, they lick it up and the gas kills them internally I tried it last year it worked well.

https://ants.com/baking-soda-the-non...t-rid-of-ants/
Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 PM

torch
Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Dig into center of the nest pour in diesel and light it on fire.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Malathion.
Nothing else works
Yup, buy a cheap little sprayer, mix it up and go to town.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Malathion.
Nothing else works
This is the right answer.
Everything else may as well be a strongly worded letter.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Banned

Chickens...they just love ants.
A couple chickens will decimate an ant hill and in a day.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 PM

Damascus earth. Cover the hills and areas of them and it will work. Available at Ufa in bags that will last you a lifetime. And it’s natural and pet friendly if you have a dog
Old 05-15-2019, 11:43 PM

X2 on diatomaceous earth. It's the asbestos of the bug world, but works much faster.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:09 AM

I've done the borax and sugar thing and it does work, but it takes a couple of weeks. I've had no luck at all with diatomaceous earth, even indoors.

Malathion is much faster; jab a hole down into the ant hill with a bar, pour some Malathion deep into the ant hill, cover the hill with a sheet of plastic (or a big garbage bag) weighed down with a few rocks and they'll be dead over night. Do it again in 4 or 5 days, in case any of the eggs survived. Wear rubber gloves and don't get any on yourself, it stinks like hell and it'll turn you into a girl by the time the ants are dead.

I had trouble with ants attacking a maple in the yard; I put a borax/maple syrup mix in a few big bottle caps at the foot of the tree and there was no sign of them in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Malathion.
Nothing else works
You'll like this stuff it works like a hot damn.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 AM

X3 For Diatomaceous Earth
Old 05-16-2019, 08:06 AM

Airsoft gun......Might take awhile, a looong while, but could be fun.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:49 AM

Im guessing you are dealing with satellite colonies if they are returning every year. If you can find the main colony ( probably located on the neighbors property) and destroy it that should greatly reduce your problem.

We had major ant problems for years, sprayed every chemical you could think of and they would come back in a month. Finally I ended up mowing the neighbor's lawn and found a huge nest behind their garage. Once I sprayed that nest the problem disappeared for a few years until another nest took over somewhere else.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Where is the best place to buy Melathion?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 AM

I had a huge ant hill develop on my front lawn. Late one night while they slept cozy in their beds, I was carrying a Jerry can to empty into my sons car, I tripped on a dandelion and accidentally spilled some reg gas all over the hill. Unfortunately there were no survivors. A tragedy.

On the bright side, I now have a patch of new grass growing in that spot
Old 05-16-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I had a huge ant hill develop on my front lawn. Late one night while they slept cozy in their beds, I was carrying a Jerry can to empty into my sons car, I tripped on a dandelion and accidentally spilled some reg gas all over the hill. Unfortunately there were no survivors. A tragedy.

Watch yourself if your ever carrying an old car battery, they claim they are leak proof but if they ever land in an ant hill they quickly develop a leak. Must be the formic acid produced by the ants damaging the plastic casing of the battery. Same goes for tree stumps, Im always stubbing my toes on those things and dropping batteries on them

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

Right Answer!!!. We had real bad ant hills in Calgary on the acreage. Sandy, loam type soil. Tried everything, including Malathion and a professional Pest company (Orkin and they were quite expensive). Gas was the only thing that worked. Not need to light it, just soak the hill pretty good. It will kill trees, grass etc so try to keep it away from tree roots.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-16-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Malathion is my go to.
Put about a tablespoon to a tablespoon and a half in a quart sealer jar. Fill with water. Liberally douse any ant hills with about 1/3 of a quart of the mixture, the ants die, done and done.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Where is the best place to buy Melathion?
Peavey Mart, UFA, can check home hardware as well
Old 05-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Right Answer!!!. We had real bad ant hills in Calgary on the acreage. Sandy, loam type soil. Tried everything, including Malathion and a professional Pest company (Orkin and they were quite expensive). Gas was the only thing that worked. Not need to light it, just soak the hill pretty good. It will kill trees, grass etc so try to keep it away from tree roots.
Always have new ant hills popping up around here. While cutting grass (huge lawn), I walk around with a hand sprayer containing premixed Malathion, give the small mound a kick (gets all the ants swarming) and soak them down. Kills entire hill. Think I have had to go back on a small handful over the years for a second spray, but that's it.
Now some of the big ones in the ditch are a different story, have to use a tractor to knock them down and spread them out, but once again, soak it down and they are done.
There are a lot of ants around here it seems, it's a constant battle so no time to mess around with the home made remedies. The one positive of malathion.....it doesn't kill the grass
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Malathion.
Nothing else works
x 100 - get it at Home Hardware, nasty stuff but does the trick quick like.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Always have new ant hills popping up around here. While cutting grass (huge lawn), I walk around with a hand sprayer containing premixed Malathion, give the small mound a kick (gets all the ants swarming) and soak them down. Kills entire hill. Think I have had to go back on a small handful over the years for a second spray, but that's it.
Now some of the big ones in the ditch are a different story, have to use a tractor to knock them down and spread them out, but once again, soak it down and they are done.
There are a lot of ants around here it seems, it's a constant battle so no time to mess around with the home made remedies. The one positive of malathion.....it doesn't kill the grass
Well perhaps I wasn't mixing it stiff enough but it seemed like the ants repopulated the hill within a couple of months. With Gas, they never seemed to come back. To be fair, I never tried double and triple treating the same hill with Malathion over a period of time. Glad it worked well for you because its big advantage is no grass or tree kill. Problem is it is highly toxic, much more so than gas, so you have to be real careful mixing, applying and keeping pets away from the area.