Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 12:54 PM

Default The new GMC is like the new bag of potato chips /half full

Did some truck shopping on the week with a buddy for a GMC 1500 SLE
I bought one a few years ago and so we wanted to know what you get now for $20,000. more from when I got my HD3500 . Wow it was just like the new bag of potato chips. Nice and shinny on the out side but a lot less chips on the inside .
First thing i noticed was a few small thing missing ,like the sunglass holders in the roof liner discontinued he said . Then I noticed no power seat on passenger side ( discontinued ). Then I asked if you can the console package . He said discontinued again in the SLE . He said ,you can not add anything unless you go one grade higher $$$ then you can add the console . Lol So for $74,000 your getting a work truck with carpet . This is when we walked out .

Is Ford and Dodge getting less in them, like a bag of chips for there mid grade trucks ?

Last edited by -JR-; 02-22-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I bought one a few years ago and so we wanted to know what you get now for $20,000. more from when I got my HD3500 . Wow it was just like the new bag of potato chips. Nice and shinny on the out side but a lot less chips on the inside .
First thing i noticed was a few small thing missing ,like the sunglass holders in the roof liner discontinued he said . Then I noticed no power seat on passenger side ( discontinued ). Then I asked if you can the console package . He said discontinued again in the SLE . He said ,you can not add anything unless you go one grade higher $$$ then you can add the console . Lol So for $74,000 your getting a work truck with carpet . This is when we walked out .

Are other brands getting less in them, like a bag of chips ?
The de-evolution of the truck i call it. No rubber floors, thin sheet metal, orange peel thin paint jobs, chrome is absolute garbage, dash board material hard and junk, rusting around wheel wells even with galvanized metal, etc etc.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:21 PM

I really wish I could buy this:

Except with a moderate drive-train, for $20k. I don't need rain sensing wipers, headlights that turn, heated/cooled/massage seats, auto stop/start, wifi, parking systems, etc.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
The de-evolution of the truck i call it. No rubber floors, thin sheet metal, orange peel thin paint jobs, chrome is absolute garbage, dash board material hard and junk, rusting around wheel wells even with galvanized metal, etc etc.
Sounds just like my brothers original 1973 GM truck. So GM has gone retro.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Except with a moderate drive-train, for $20k. I don't need rain sensing wipers, headlights that turn, heated/cooled/massage seats, auto stop/start, wifi, parking systems, etc.
Yup me too. Except chev.
I would however swap the stereo out.
I’ve come to like Bluetooth. Podcasts are a must now for long trips.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Is Ford and Dodge getting less in them, like a bag of chips for there mid grade trucks ?
Having just bought a new GMC Elevation I can say without a doubt you should shop around. There is some much better deals around on GMC especially if you are okay with a new 2023.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Having just bought a new GMC Elevation I can say without a doubt you should shop around. There is some much better deals around on GMC especially if you are okay with a new 2023.
I went from a 2021 f-350, to a 3500 after numerous friends continuously 'sweared' GMC was the 'best'. Im back into an F-350 and its literally night and day. GMC without question sells the biggest rip off products in the marketplace today. Its apples to oranges at this point. Horrible value from GMC, and the lack of power compared to Fords lineup is actually embarrassing lol. I've convinced myself GMC loyal guys are now just dudes that cant afford a fully loaded Ford.

Last edited by IronCreek; 02-23-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCreek View Post
I went from a 2021 f-350, to a 3500 after numerous friends continuously 'sweared' GMC was the 'best'. Im back into an F-350 and its literally night and day. GMC without question sells the biggest rip off products in the marketplace today. Its apples to oranges at this point. Horrible value from GMC, and the lack of power compared to Fords lineup is actually embarrassing lol. I've convinced myself GMC loyal guys are now just dudes that cant afford a fully loaded Ford.
That escalated quickly.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:44 PM

I considered all brands when I went shopping in 2021. At that time, RAM was the most expensive, and had the worst fuel economy, as well as some major engine issues. GMC was less money, better fuel economy, and less engine issues. Ford had much better fuel economy, in between price wise, and some engine issues. Toyota was priced near Ford and GM, awful fuel economy, but by far the most reliable. Because Ford had made changes to the ecoboost engines to deal with the cam chain and cam phaser issues, I took a chance, and went with an F-150 with 3.5 ecoboost, and so far , so good. If I had to buy another half ton today, it would be either a Tundra with the new turbo V6, or another F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. My neighbor bought a new ZR-2 last fall, and while it is a nice truck, it has a tiny fuel tank, and the price was over $30k more than my Lariat. I was actually shocked, when he told me what he paid.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:51 PM

I’ve been a diehard GM guy my whole life as my father was as well. My loyalty is starting to fade after this last month.

My daily driver is a ‘20 3500hd single wheel reg cab 4x4 with the 6.6 gas. 2 weeks ago my water pump seized taking out the serpentine belt while driving down the highway. I’ve never had one seize before usually they leak first. I’d heard the belt squeak a couple days before and had ordered a serpentine belt and idler pulley so I could take it apart and see what was wrong assuming it was just the idler pulley. No water pumps, idler pulleys or serpentine belts to be had in Canada or US GM warehouses. Napa had nothing available as well. Fortunately my dealer found the parts needed from a few other dealers so I’ve finally got it back together. I can’t even buy a Delco engine oil filter for it right now. I’m pretty sure I don’t own the only 6.6 gas in existence.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:02 PM

I bought a new GMC SLE in 2010 and it still runs great with nothing but regular maintenance. I do run synthetic oils and change them more often than the book says.

I was going to upgrade pre pandemic and really dodged a bullet I think. GM had a bad run with both transmission and major AFM issues.

This new one is a 2023 and hopefully they got it figured out. It has a lot more get up and go in spite of having the same 5.3 and the 10 speed transmission seems really smooth. Gas mileage has been really good as well.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Just wait until the domestics buy into the “pay-for-features” business plan. BMW and other manufacturers are starting to include all options in their vehicles. But…if you want to use them, you will be required to buy a monthly subscription. For example, heated seat…? Wanna use them…? Then pay the $29 per month fee and the option will be remotely turned on. Stop the payments…and the options get turned off by the manufacturer. And each option/feature will have its own subscription charge.

What a wonderful world we live in these days, huh?
Old 02-24-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Just wait until the domestics buy into the “pay-for-features” business plan. BMW and other manufacturers are starting to include all options in their vehicles. But…if you want to use them, you will be required to buy a monthly subscription. For example, heated seat…? Wanna use them…? Then pay the $29 per month fee and the option will be remotely turned on. Stop the payments…and the options get turned off by the manufacturer. And each option/feature will have its own subscription charge.

What a wonderful world we live in these days, huh?
Took delivery finally in October of my new 2023 F350 diesel. The bed steps are a handy addition. Idea stolen from Chevy perhaps? Didn't have chips for the massaging seats so don't have that option. My wife was the only one that used them anyway. Loving the truck so far. More power and better fuel economy than my 2019. The 10 speed tranny is super smooth. Time will tell. Fordpass is free and allows me to remotely start etc. as well as know where my truck is after a night at the bar.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:56 AM

I was in the market for a new truck until I took a friends Lightning for a spin. Not the time to buy electric, imo, but I can't bring myself to spend $80-100k on anything gas now, either.

I get that the cool thing is to lose your mind over electric, and it sure isn't perfect, but boy...drive one, before you commit to hating them.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
I was in the market for a new truck until I took a friends Lightning for a spin. Not the time to buy electric, imo, but I can't bring myself to spend $80-100k on anything gas now, either.

I get that the cool thing is to lose your mind over electric, and it sure isn't perfect, but boy...drive one, before you commit to hating them.
When I left my F150 for some service, the shuttle that took me home, and came to get me was a Lightning. It looked and felt like my F150, other than it was quieter. Talking to the shuttle driver, the range is poor in summer, and pathetic in winter. I have driven over 1000km in summer on one tank, whereas the Lightning gets about 300km. I tow my boat 700km round trip with my F150, fishing, and have 1/4 tank remaining, but the Lightning is limited to around 150km towing. That makes the Lightning totally useless to me, and I guss that is why Ford has lost money on every Lightning they have sold, and why Ford has drastically cut production of the Lightning. .
Old 02-24-2024, 12:21 PM

I just traded my 2021 Ford f250 6.2 with 15000 k on it for a ford 2023 ford f150 5 .0 engine sport package XLT .Really like it .Just used my F250 to pull my trailer 500 kilometers return ,but now it's staying where it's parked at the lake .

Ford gave me an excellent deal since the f250 was paid ,exactly what I purchased it for ,new truck for 10k difference .

I really looked hard at all brands ,it just depends on choice .There not getting cheaper . If I had to purchase at full price at 8 points ,I don't think it I would buy new . 2024 are 10 k more .

I use my ford 2015 suv for 80 percent of my driving,that F250 finding a parking spot was nuts in a city ,plus went from 15/100 to 10/100 35 percent better gas millage and pretty sure come summer 38 percent better .
Old 02-24-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

93 F150?
Had a 91 which was similar. Great truck and the 98.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When I left my F150 for some service, the shuttle that took me home, and came to get me was a Lightning. It looked and felt like my F150, other than it was quieter. Talking to the shuttle driver, the range is poor in summer, and pathetic in winter. I have driven over 1000km in summer on one tank, whereas the Lightning gets about 300km. I tow my boat 700km round trip with my F150, fishing, and have 1/4 tank remaining, but the Lightning is limited to around 150km towing. That makes the Lightning totally useless to me, and I guss that is why Ford has lost money on every Lightning they have sold, and why Ford has drastically cut production of the Lightning. .
As a passenger, I wasn't blown away either. But driving it was pretty cool.

And no disagreements on the towing or range. EV's aren't ready to be a direct, all-situations replacement to gas.
The 300-ish range is with the low end battery and I think, starting this year, Ford is putting the extended range batteries standard in more of their models.

Ford is pretty bleeding-edge, I'm not surprised they jumped the gun and got bit. Toyota is doing the opposite, last I looked, and hadn't made any decisions on their EV truck offerings because they were not yet comfortable with the batteries.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
As a passenger, I wasn't blown away either. But driving it was pretty cool.

And no disagreements on the towing or range. EV's aren't ready to be a direct, all-situations replacement to gas.
The 300-ish range is with the low end battery and I think, starting this year, Ford is putting the extended range batteries standard in more of their models.

Ford is pretty bleeding-edge, I'm not surprised they jumped the gun and got bit. Toyota is doing the opposite, last I looked, and hadn't made any decisions on their EV truck offerings because they were not yet comfortable with the batteries.
Toyota has now stated, that they are actually getting out of EVs to pursue other alternatives..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--UmtTPOfs
Old 02-24-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:

I think gm quit making trucks back in 1986.

I bought a 1988 Chevy in 1989. What a piece a garbage. Then I bought a 1988 ford. Haha that was worse than Chevy. That ended modern trucks for me.
I think instead of bag of chips, Gillette disposable is as better description. As in disposable razor blades.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:42 PM

88 were not as good as the 89 .
Old 02-24-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
88 were not as good as the 89 .
1988 was first year production so I'm sure bugs.
I like carburetors and v belts, drip rails,window vents,solid front axles, serviceable tapered roller bearings, greasable everything, cast iron gear driven drivetrains, door hinges that bolt on to cab and chassis and no electronics .
Old 02-24-2024, 06:34 PM

Buddy of mine has been on the hunt for a new truck and the best deal was the new tundra 4 dr with 8 ft box (he wanted the 8 ft box) $61000.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:50 PM

Chev/Gm made me lose the faith with an electric push button opening tailgate. Deal breaker
Old 02-24-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I think gm quit making trucks back in 1986.

I bought a 1988 Chevy in 1989. What a piece a garbage. Then I bought a 1988 ford. Haha that was worse than Chevy. That ended modern trucks for me.
I think instead of bag of chips, Gillette disposable is as better description. As in disposable razor blades.
Move up a few decades. Times have changed.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:50 AM

The 6.0 gas and the diesels in the GM 800 series trucks were pretty good.
Prices on them remain quite high for decent ones.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Buddy of mine has been on the hunt for a new truck and the best deal was the new tundra 4 dr with 8 ft box (he wanted the 8 ft box) $61000.
The new Tundra is also like a bag of chips that are half full.
They no longer offer a V8 engine . Only a V6 with turbos .
Heard they have a few issues with the turbos and they are very hard to get to .
Old 02-25-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Not a fan of turbo small engines either but it seems to be the norm now in half tons at least.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
The new Tundra offers an engine with more power than a V8, at lower rpm and much better fuel economy. The first turbos produced by a North American vendor had some quality control issues, but that was dealt with and the new ones haven't been an issue. Tundras were very hard to get for a couple of years, but you can actually walk into a dealership and buy one off of the lot now.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Not a fan of turbo small engines either but it seems to be the norm now in half tons at least.
The simple fact is that a small turbo produces more power at lower rpm, and the fuel mileage is much improved, so that is where the industry is headed.